PDA

View Full Version : What is your normal load to carry when in the woods

Curly James
12-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Got rained on and soaked while hunting this morning and had to dry, clean, and oil the equipment I carry. I got to thinking about it and wondered what other guys carry while on a day trip for deer, etc.
I usually have my rifle, a little spare ammo, a small .22 cal handgun. and a couple of knives. Also carry a day pack with food, water, and a few other essentials inside. The gear was all laid out so I shot a photo. This doesn't weigh me down too much and gets me though a hunt. If I am going to a new area I will also carry a Summit climber on my back with the day pack strapped to the stand.
My load is probably nothing compared to what our ancestors carried for days at the time while exploring this country when she was still new to the white man.

firefly1957
12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
It depends on what I am hunting for deer I carry a small amount of food and a quart of hot tea the main hunting longarm (my pick of several) and my S&W model 29, compass, fire starting kit,Knife/hatchet...

Small game I usually carry shotgun and a pistol, water, maybe a snack, compass, Knives,fire starting kit,...

I have been carrying a digital camera also the last couple years my wife would like me to take a cell phone but that is not likely they will not even get a signal in some of these areas.

runfiverun
12-20-2011, 07:30 PM
i keep it simple with a fanny pack type system. that has three bags one on each hip and one on the back.
but have gloves a couple of knives some rope a hat a lighter,[couple of bottles of water or soda]. and some plastic gallon sized bags in it at the minimum.
i can carry extra ammo and even a handgun if i want to in it, and can even carry a couple of pheasants in the back bag, or sit on it to keep dry.
pretty light,handy day hunt system but not much for any type of long term hunting.

BD
12-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Actually your load looks a lot like my load. Scout scoped rifle, (mine's an old cut down swede), Ruger 22, (mine's a 22/45 carried on my hip), small back pack and a couple of knives. I also generally have gloves, a wool hat, a topo map, a couple of granola bars, fire starter, matches, one of the small pre-packaged orange ponchos and 50 feet of P-cord, or a drag line.
BD

Duckiller
12-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Way too much stuff! Especially when duck hunting. As much as possible goes into the pack and on my back. Carrying parkas and jackets this way I don't get overheated on the way to the blind. Add dead ducks and I have way too big of a load. I just walk slowly.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Well, living in Illinois, I am only a mile from a house no matter where I go. I just carry the weapon of choice for the day and a hunting vest. Not too much empty room around here. About the only way you could get lost is to be blindfolded and then someone would hear you..................

fatnhappy
12-21-2011, 12:34 AM
nice rifle.

I carry 8 rounds of ammo (because my ammo wallet holds 8), a knife, 25 feet of 550 cord, binos, a snack and two water bottles. If I'm hunting in the adirondacks I carry a lighter, a map and a compass.

I know I can survive a week or two in the woods on my body fat (shut up Ric). I just need to be able to make a fire for signal purposes and staying warm.

the map is to start the fire since obviously I don't know where the heck I am or am unable to get out.

Oh, and sometimes I carry a spare set of wool army socks.

Bret4207
12-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Leatherman and usually a chainsaw!

fatnhappy
12-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Leatherman and usually a chainsaw!

that's funny right there.

1Shirt
12-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Rifle, about 10 rds of ammo, Knife & Leatherman, water,cough drops, hard candy, drag rope, small 1st Aid Kit.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

DragoonDrake
12-21-2011, 09:49 AM
I usually carry whatever gun I am hunting with plus an extra 6 rounds of ammo. A parka, socks, 2-4 granola bars, a handful of hard candy, a fire starter magnesium block and some cotton balls soaked in wax, a skinning/gutting knife, 50 foot of P-cord, and a half gallon of water.

When I go hiking, you can add a two person tent to the list and change the gun to a 22 pistol or a little 357 derringer.

You know, when you write it all down like this, it looks like a lot.

Boz330
12-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Where I hunt I can usually walk back to camp since the farm is only 500 acres or so.
I carry binos, knife, flagging tape, range finder, and rain gear if it looks as if that might happen. I do use a back pack to carry this stuff and then use it as a seat either in the stand or on the ground. Of course a rifle and ammo.

When I worked as a guide in NM my pack came in at 25lbs. I had all of the above stuff, plus a GPS, MRE, several means to start a fire, compass, topo maps, several bottles of water, 550 cord, game saw, rain gear, flash light and extra batteries, stalking socks, candy bars, and or sandwiches for the hunter and me if we planned to stay out all day. Sometimes I ended up with half of the hunters stuff as well. OH yeh a 44 on my hip along with extra ammo.

I tried using a fanny pack but found that after the first day I spent all my time trying to make it lighter. It was much harder on my back than a regular back pack. I discovered a back pack made by Crooked Horn Outfitters and that was the end of back problems while guiding. That thing was so ergonomic that I never hardly noticed that I had it on other than my back would get to sweating. The pack had a waist belt and a chest strap and was well padded exactly where it needed it. I can't say enough about that back pack for hunting.

Bob

Jim
12-21-2011, 10:45 AM
My wonderful wife gave to me for Christmas, a coupla' years back, a 5-11 brand tactical vest. It doesn't have any 40MM grenade loops(dang it!), but it does have lots of pockets. I wear it over a jacket when I go 'coon huntin'.

Spare flashlight
Spare batteries for flashlight and headlamp
Spare folding knife
Ammo for .22 rifle and Ruger Single Six .32
Small digital camera
Squaller call
Chap stick
20 ounce bottle of water
Gloves
Watch cap

lbaize3
12-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Most often I carry a revolver in .22LR, 32S&W, 32 H&R, 32-20, 327 mag, 38spl, 357mag, 38super, 10mm, 44 Russian, 44spl, 44mag, 45acp, 45 Colt, 454 Cass., or 480.

But, then again, I sometimes carry a pistol in 22lr, 380, 9mm, 40S&W, or 45acp.

The extras always include a couple of Bic lighters, knife, paracord, and snacks.

Boz330
12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Most often I carry a revolver in .22LR, 32S&W, 32 H&R, 32-20, 327 mag, 38spl, 357mag, 38super, 10mm, 44 Russian, 44spl, 44mag, 45acp, 45 Colt, 454 Cass., or 480.

WOW, now that is a load, not even counting the ammo.:kidding:

Bob

Mk42gunner
12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
It depends. I tend to go with the minimalist approach,- loaded rifle, one reload, knife, and maybe a short piece of line to drag a deer to where I can get the truck.

If it is cold and I am sitting waitng for a deer to amble by, I might have a thermos of coffee.

I used to have one of Gerber's backpax hatchets, that little thing wasn't any good for normal hatchet duties, but it would fit in the back pocket of my insulatred overalls and was perfect for splitting the pelvis.

Robert

quilbilly
12-21-2011, 02:28 PM
My normal load depends on whether I am hunting desert mule deer, coastal blacktails if rain is on the way, or coastal elk. This is my basic load in the backpack for all - monopod shooting stick, a boxcutter razor knife (for the first cuts when field dressing), 30 feet of 1/8" nylon string, TP of course, a camo lightweight 5'x6' ripstop nylon tarp, one pint of water, a black plastic contractor bag, light ax, couple granola bars, flourescent tape (for marking blood trail), and a small foam cushion to sit on. To this I would add a rain poncho for the coast or bino+rangefinder for the desert. I bought the material for the camo ripstop tarp at the local fabric store and it has been really valuable.

DragoonDrake
12-21-2011, 04:05 PM
BOZ 330 Which pack did you get? I see that they have three choices.

Love Life
12-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Hunting-Daypack with 4 bottles of water, MRE, snacks, 550 cord, small 1st aid,light plastic poncho, flashlight, batteries, a few knives, rifle with ammo, reveolver with ammo, firestarting stuff, map, compass. All this doesn't weigh much.

Long range hike-about 50 pounds worth of ****.

Bumming- Same as hunting pack.

My daypack is an old operators pack. Very comfy and holds quite a bit more than I put in it. My long range pack is an old mountain ruck. Best pack ever made in my book.

mroliver77
12-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Here in NW OH it is flat! The roads are laid out in a 1 mile grid each direction with 1/2 mile roads in some places. Our place is 1/4 X 1/2 mile rectangle with valleys running through. About half is farmed and half is wooded, scrub or weeds. My house is close to the middle of it. I only hunt my place anymore so I am never far from the house.

I still carry a small pack when sitting in a stand. Water, candy,TP, cord, bino, small led flashlight and always a phone. If very cold a tarp or poncho and Sterno.

For a rural area there are a lot of houses/people.
J

geargnasher
12-21-2011, 11:39 PM
I carry whatever tool related to why I'm in the woods (rifle, axe, transit, binoculars, fence repair tools, etc.) plus my Swiss army knife and a Ruger .45 Colt revolver with three slugs (timed to come under the hammer in sequence) and three home-made shotshells. If I need to kill a snake, I usually have time to step back to a safe range and index the cylinder for the shot loads.

Gear

Boz330
12-22-2011, 10:47 AM
BOZ 330 Which pack did you get? I see that they have three choices.

Dragoon,
The only thing that is on the label is Non-typical, besides the manufacturer's name. Here are some pics of the pack. It is divided into several compartments inside as well as outside pockets for various small items and water bottles. The back pad is pretty thick and is quite comfortable to sit on as well as wear.
There is a large vertical pocket inside and some of the guides carried a spotting scope and short tripod in it.
The only modification that I made was to put a holster on the right waist strap for the 44 so that it was easily accessible.

Bob

PS I checked the Crooked Horn site and the Master Guide is the closest pack to this one. I bought this one nearly 10 years ago so it has been upgraded and for the better from what I've seen. One of the other outfitters in the area we worked had a dealership for these and sold them just over wholesale. I believe that I gave $85 for this one and it was absolutely the best money I ever spent on working equipment, just ask my back.

WilNsc
12-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Usually a rifle, a 1911, 2-3 knives. Pack with gear to gut and drag a deer. Canteen of water and some packs of crackers.

Probally the only unusual thing I carry is a full size folding chair, the type that collapse then slide into a cylinder shapped carry bag. It's an extra 8-10lbs but the comfort when sitting for 3-5 hours is worth it to me.

DragoonDrake
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Thank you boz

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-23-2011, 11:20 AM
where we hunt we are never very far from the truck drop of the drivers then the standers take the truck to the other end , they put up a cell tower on a hill not far away so we actually get decent cell coverage as long as you don't have at&t

i carry
pistol belt with pistol and ammo

main hunting gun 12 ga slug gun
in my coat i carry
a compass
a back up compass (you can get very lost driving cedar swamps)
15 or so slugs
a zip lock bag with neatly folded paper towels in it (dual purpose to clean up after field dressing or if the bacon catches up with me at an bad time)
pair of shoulder length field dressing gloves
led head lamp

in a small pack that often stays with the truck
spare gloves and hat
2-3 pair field dressing gloves
about 25 feet of 1/4 inch line
a spare knife
a small folding saw (so much easier when breaking the pelvis)
more paper towel folded up in a gallon zip lock bag
a spare box of shells
a large bottle of water

in may pants pockets
wallet with license
cell phone fully charged each night
a sharpie
folding knife
spare flash light
bic lighter

Jack Ryan
02-10-2012, 12:30 AM
One gun depending on what I'm out there for, a 44, 357, 10mm, shotgun maybe. A pocket knife and a bush knife, may be a tree stand or a caller, a compass, maybe a map, something to start a fire, a rope or a leash for the dog if I have one along. You can use the rope or leash to drag or carry what ever ya kill to.

TCLouis
02-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Short version . . .

EVERY pack should have a cheap discount store 9X12 plastic drop cloth.

As a person learned when I gave him one during a Sept elk hunt in Colorado

He asked why when I gave it to him in the morning . . .

He understood in the afternoon after a thunderstorm and hail storm.

Keep extras close by in the camp.