PDA

View Full Version : New 2LT

RugerFan
12-20-2011, 03:25 AM
Allow me a moment of indulgence if you will. I would like to introduce our country’s newest 2nd Lieutenant, my son Ryan. On 10 December he graduated from NGCSU with a BBA in Marketing and also received his active duty commission in the US Army. Not only did my wife and I get to pin on his new rank, but as a retired Warrant Officer, I got to actually do his official swearing-in. Very cool. Now there’ll be lots of praying for his safety while he embarks on his new career.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l449/wolf913/DSC031561024x782800x611.jpg

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-20-2011, 03:55 AM
Congrats!

Bad Water Bill
12-20-2011, 07:11 AM
A job well done sir. You have reason to be proud.

Thanks to both of you for your service.

bruce drake
12-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Congratulations to your entire family!

He's got a great career ahead of him if he wishes to follow in his father's footsteps and he'll get to blaze a few trails of his own as an Engineer!

Essayons!

Bruce

Brasso
12-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Biggest congrats. A tough road but you both did great!!

Sam

Recluse
12-20-2011, 08:36 AM
I look at the pictures and faces of our soldiers, sailors and airmen and think to myself, "My God, they're so young--they're just babies."

Then I wander up to the attic, rummage around for the shoebox, sit down and start pulling out old polaroids and snapshots from lands far away and realize that we were all just babies.

And by God, we got the job done and so will your son and his compatriots.

Congratulations to you, your wife and your son. You all have a lot to be proud of, and as a nation, we have a lot to be grateful for thanks to your family's service.

:coffee:

sundog
12-20-2011, 09:02 AM
Hooah!

P.K.
12-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Hooah!

X2! Congrats!

Jim
12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
That's a fine lookin' young man there, Ruger! Please tell him I appreciate him defending my freedom and the ol' man's proud of him!!

10-x
12-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Congratulations. Good luck to the new Lt. You all keep warm up there, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. BTW its almost 80 down here!
Dave

richhodg66
12-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Congratulations, I'll be retiring next year with 24 years. The Army is really a pretty good career, or at least it's been good to me.

My son starts school next year, he's been accepted to The Citadel and I'll hopefully be pinning on his bars in four years or so. That's gotta make a dad proud.

Jim
12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey, Rich! I grew up and spent most of my life in Charleston! Man, I did a lot of work on the campus as a contractor, including helping to build the new barracks back in the late 90's.

Tell your son to look up an Associate Dean by the name of Robert McNamara. He teaches Criminology there. That's my nephew! And he handloads and loves to shoot, too!

My apologies, RugerFan, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I saw something about the Citadel and got excited.

richhodg66
12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Jim, I graduated from there in '88 and had two brothers who did a few years later. Haven't been back there in many years, but it's a great school, with very high standards.

I'm glad to see this young man commissioned, and he is facing some very different challenges than I did all those years ago. The Army and the world situation is really different now and in many respects, the junior officers today are facing a much harder life than we did. Nobody does the hard field time like we used to, but there are so many more things to have to consider and worry about with just about every decision one makes anymore.

It always galls me when I hear some high school guidance counselor type imply that the military is only for those who don't have much in the way of prospects. Bullsh!t! The vast majority of Americans in that age group can't even get in and if they could, wouldn't last long. I'll retire at age 46 with a pension alone that is more than many people live comfortably on, and still be able to work, so I would beg to differ with those who say it's not a good career choice.

Combat Engineers is a great branch. If I were to do it again now, it would be my first choice, though Artillery would still be pretty high on the list.

HodakaGA
12-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm very proud for you, his Mama, and him. It is a great University, but I am slightly prejudiced as my son just finished his 1st semester there and is in the Corp of Cadets too. I look forward to seeing my son get his bars in 4 or so years.

I am amazed at the quality of men and women in the Corp at NGCSU. They learn so much about life and leadership and they make excellent career soldiers.

Be Proud.

What's his first assignment?

Frank

RugerFan
12-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Congratulations. Good luck to the new Lt. You all keep warm up there, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. BTW its almost 80 down here!
Dave

I sooo miss the weather there. I woke up to a fresh blanket of snow in my driveway this morning and we're supposed to get more this afternoon.

I'm very proud for you, his Mama, and him. It is a great University, but I am slightly prejudiced as my son just finished his 1st semester there and is in the Corp of Cadets too. I look forward to seeing my son get his bars in 4 or so years.

I am amazed at the quality of men and women in the Corp at NGCSU. They learn so much about life and leadership and they make excellent career soldiers.

Be Proud.

What's his first assignment?

Frank

Yes, it's a great school. They do a good job of molding future leaders. His first duty station is Ft Riley, but that could change while he's in the Basic course. Good luck to your son as well.

Charlie Two Tracks
12-20-2011, 08:36 PM
That is a very good thing RugerFan. Congratulations on raising a great son. It's something to be proud of as I know you are.

beagle
12-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Congratulations to the new LT. He's completed the first, hard trial with many more to come.

Just tell him to listen to what his Command Sergeant Major is advising him and he'll not go wrong in his career./beagle

fatnhappy
12-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Just tell him to listen to what his Command Sergeant Major is advising him and he'll not go wrong in his career./beagle

Spoken like a NCOIC.

A proud moment, congrats and hooah!

TCLouis
12-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Now he has the "Book Larnin" Outa the way tell him to latch on to a E-7 or E-6 and learn the rest of Soldiering.

Isaac
12-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Outstanding!

Indeed, a very proud moment for all involved. Great job, Mom and Dad!

May God protect him throughtout his career and life.

Congratulations.

Isaac

Tom-ADC
12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Very special moment for sure for all parties involved.
Thanks to all for your service also.
BTW I don't think I could fit nto my uniform anymore :groner:

Bad Water Bill
12-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Nor I. I gave my stuff to the Sea Scouts run by a Chief Warrant Bosuns Mate.

I pray that when that young man reaches his dads age he can still fit in his uniform as well as his daddy can.

Again congrats to MOM DAD and the new Lt.

mroliver77
12-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I lost an eye as a youngun and was not allowed in. I am jealous!

My Dad did WW2 in the US Navy. When they did not need him any longer he went and joined the US Army. When Korea came along he was offered to go into the US Air Force which he did. He went to school, became a medic and did Korea in the Air Sea Rescue.

He was disappointed that I could not go. He believed it a good way for a kid to cut the apron strings and become a man.

So congratulations Mr. and Mrs. RugerFan and son!

Dean D.
12-21-2011, 06:04 PM
My heartfelt congratulations to the Rugerfan family! Please extend my thank you to your son for his service when you can.

MtGun44
12-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Congrats to the young man. Well Done!

I see that he is Corps of Engineers. What will he be doing?

Bill

RugerFan
12-22-2011, 01:56 AM
I lost an eye as a youngun and was not allowed in. I am jealous!

My Dad did WW2 in the US Navy. When they did not need him any longer he went and joined the US Army. When Korea came along he was offered to go into the US Air Force which he did. He went to school, became a medic and did Korea in the Air Sea Rescue.

He was disappointed that I could not go. He believed it a good way for a kid to cut the apron strings and become a man.

So congratulations Mr. and Mrs. RugerFan and son!

Wow! I'll bet your father has a lot of great stories to tell.

Congrats to the young man. Well Done!

I see that he is Corps of Engineers. What will he be doing?

Bill

Don't know exactly yet, but he is hoping for some excitement. He has already completed Airborne and Air Assault schools and would go Ranger and Pathfinder if they'd let him. My wife and I hope for a safe desk job of course.

Again, thanks everyone for your kind comments. I just love this place!

Got-R-Did
12-22-2011, 02:07 AM
Incredible level of accomplishment. From a long line of U.S. Army Family, our best wishes on a productive career!
Got-R-did.

gray wolf
12-22-2011, 10:48 AM
UP, UP and away,
Great achievement, a definite happy moment.
We Salute you sir, and the family that raised you.

1Shirt
12-22-2011, 01:50 PM
He can be proud of that butter bar!
1Shirt!:coffee:

cbrick
12-22-2011, 03:31 PM
235 years of Americans secure in their freedom due to men such as yourself and your son. Thank you to both of you.

A Warrant Officer pinning bars on his son . . . I can only imagine how proud you must feel.

Rick