PDA

View Full Version : undersized bullets

41cal
12-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Can you shoot undersized boolits at very low velocity( target loads) without leading . I can buy them this way for a very reasonable price.
This is for a 41 magnum .411 would be better but these are sized at .410.
Is it worth a shot or will i get severe leading? Thanks for the info.

RobS
12-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Even at plinking loads (usually quicker, higher energy powders are used) if the boolit doesn't seal off the bore it's going to be difficult to keep the bore from leading especially if the cast bullets are of a hard alloy such as used by many commercial casters. Also there is a lube issue with most commercial cast...........it's hard and won't flow very well. A softer lube would help with this particular senario.

The best bet is if they are harder cast bullets and you still want to give it a try then use a slow burning powder to help ease the bullet into the barrel. All in all I wouldn't go for it, too many variables to try and make things work out in your favor. Why pull your hair out when you don't have to.

wallenba
12-19-2011, 07:23 PM
What does your barrel slug? At groove diameter you might be OK at low pressure loads.
There is also 'bumping' to be considered, but that requires some experimenting.
http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_4-1_BulletSizingBumping.htm

sqlbullet
12-19-2011, 07:29 PM
If you can buy just a few then try them out first. Or if they are cheap enough just use them as pot fodder for casting boolits the correct size.

41cal
12-19-2011, 07:37 PM
The website says that they use a nonsticky lube. Bullets are made with 2%tin 6%antimony and 92% lead with a brinnel hardness of 18-20
41-215 swc .410 $ 41.37 per 500. Sounds like a good price.

RobS
12-19-2011, 08:40 PM
The website says that they use a nonsticky lube. Bullets are made with 2%tin 6%antimony and 92% lead with a brinnel hardness of 18-20
41-215 swc .410 $ 41.37 per 500. Sounds like a good price.

Yep, harder cast BHN readings, hard lube combined with being undersized and you'll have fun that's for sure. Coating them with alox does help if you choose to go this route.

357shooter
12-19-2011, 09:49 PM
If your throats are tight, you might get lucky. If the bullets are loose in the throats you won't be so lucky. That seems to matter as much as fitting the groove.

My guess is, they are a "very reasonable price" for a good reason... :) :) :)

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, even if they don't lead you still have deal with accuracy. IMHO

MtGun44
12-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Too hard to easily bump up, but try a very fast powder like Bullseye, Titegroup, Red Dot
or Clays. Probably going to lead badly.

Bill

Larry Gibson
12-19-2011, 11:47 PM
I size all my bullets for my current and past .41s at .410. I've shot lots of commercial hard cast also at .410. Theses have been in several Ruger and S&W revovlers. Regardless of the velocity the only time I had/get letading is when a por lube is used. Get them and try them.

Larry Gibson