PDA

View Full Version : Magnus bullets

Rich Cronk
12-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Has anyone here ever tried hard cast bullets from Magnus? I am searching for a good tough hard cast bullet for my Marlin 1895 "Cowboy" in .45-70. Good enough for punching through shoulders of a Grizzly bear?

winelover
12-19-2011, 10:11 AM
I have used them in the past in my 44 Marlin carbine. Have even taken a deer with them. Usually just use for plinking at 50 yds or less.

Winelover

JohnFM
12-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I plan on putting an order in to them in about 2 weeks.
Right now they seem to have about the best price out there for commercial cast.

Rich Cronk
12-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them. I have never shot lead bullets in my .45-70 yet, so any advice is appreciated. I will likely never get to hunt Grizzly bear, but it would be fun to load up with good quality hard cast bullets that would stop a charging Grizzly.

crabo
12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I would want a boolit sized .460 for a Marlin. The 904 is the best of the ones listed for what you want to do.

I would see if they can size them any larger. I would also prefer a plain base instead of the bevel.

white eagle
12-19-2011, 11:23 AM
hey there Rich
nice to see ya
I have been shooting cast in my 45-70 Marlin GG exclusively
I find that casting your own that you can tailor the harness for the task at hand
a few commercial casters can make you a decent boolit
but proper fit is the first key
you may also want to look at Mt.Baldy bullets he has good cast boolits
still have my Killer call
Best
W.E.

Rich Cronk
12-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Hey White Eagle, nice to see ya. :mrgreen: I read recently that the rifling in my Marlin "Cowboy" in .45-70 is somewhat different than is found in the Guide guns. You could cast some Boolits for me in your spare time I suppose? Just kidding. :coffee:

white eagle
12-21-2011, 09:47 AM
for you I would ......maybe you could trade me for one of your Killer's
what do you like I have
340 gr.,405 gr.,and 440 gr.
I can size them to .459

Lefty SRH
12-21-2011, 10:04 AM
I've shot Magnus Bullets for many years! His bullets are pretty tough. My .44SRH loves his Keith bullet.

lbaize3
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
A few years back I fell into a batch of Military 45-70 brass (Used by the Navy to shoot lines between ships at sea.). I purchased 500 of the Magnus 405 grain 45-70 bullets. Loaded at trapdoor velocities with 5744 the bullets are accurate and I have noticed no appreciable leading. I think you will like their bullets.

Rich Cronk
12-21-2011, 03:04 PM
for you I would ......maybe you could trade me for one of your Killer's
what do you like I have
340 gr.,405 gr.,and 440 gr.
I can size them to .459
-------------------------------------------------------------------

You have a deal sir. .405 grain, .459 diameter. E mail me at cronkcalls@cox.net

:wink: :D [smilie=2:

fisheadgib
12-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I found a box of their 100grFP in .32 cal at a pawn shop a while back and picked them up for a good price. I checked the hardness on a few and they averaged an 18 BHN. That's just a little harder than air cooled clip-on wheel weights, which is hard enough for most applications. The only time you would really need anything harder than that is if you were pushing stuff at over around 2000fps and even then you might be ok with the right lube and bullet.

Bret4207
12-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them. I have never shot lead bullets in my .45-70 yet, so any advice is appreciated. I will likely never get to hunt Grizzly bear, but it would be fun to load up with good quality hard cast bullets that would stop a charging Grizzly.

I would strongly suggest you read up on fit and drop this whole shooting a "hardcast" (please-define "hard"?) bevel based boolit fast. That or lay in a good supply of 4/0 steel wool for de-leading your barrel. You haven't even shot cast in the gun yet and already you want to order commercially cast boolits based on advertising hype and push them fast? That's a recipe for unhappiness.

Start at square one and work forward. Trust me, I went though the same thing 25 years back!

Rich Cronk
12-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I would strongly suggest you read up on fit and drop this whole shooting a "hardcast" (please-define "hard"?) bevel based boolit fast. That or lay in a good supply of 4/0 steel wool for de-leading your barrel. You haven't even shot cast in the gun yet and already you want to order commercially cast boolits based on advertising hype and push them fast? That's a recipe for unhappiness.

Start at square one and work forward. Trust me, I went though the same thing 25

years back!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Bret,

Your words are well taken. You have covered the reasons why I came to this board where the cast BOOLIT experts hang out. [smilie=p:

Bret4207
12-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Rich, re-reading that it comes across a little harsher than I intended, please don't take it that way, but rather that I would like to see people have a good experience with cast. I didn;t for a long time and it's very discouraging.

Rich Cronk
12-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Rich, re-reading that it comes across a little harsher than I intended, please don't take it that way, but rather that I would like to see people have a good experience with cast. I didn;t for a long time and it's very discouraging.
---------------------------------------------------
Bret,
I am not upset with you at all sir. I am an absolute beginner in the art of loading cast lead BOOLITs, and will take any help that I can get. Old White Eagle sounds like he knows his stuff, and I think he will steer me well. If he steers me wrong, well I may pay him a visit at his teepee. That was a joke. :redneck:

white eagle
12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Oh Rich
you kill me

mroliver77
12-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Rich,
For my normal plinking and paper shooting in a Marlin and a Remington rolling block with modern barrel I use boolits that are 8-10 BHN and usually don't push them over 1400 - 1500 fps.

Even my light 240g boolits at 1500fps will kill any deer sized animal with authority and are not bad recoil wise. Round balls over a few gr of Bulls Eye powder are an absolute hoot to shoot! The 350 & 400gr boolits up around 2000fps are killers on both ends of the gun!

Welcome to the fun!
Jay

Rich Cronk
12-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Rich,
For my normal plinking and paper shooting in a Marlin and a Remington rolling block with modern barrel I use boolits that are 8-10 BHN and usually don't push them over 1400 - 1500 fps.

Even my light 240g boolits at 1500fps will kill any deer sized animal with authority and are not bad recoil wise. Round balls over a few gr of Bulls Eye powder are an absolute hoot to shoot! The 350 & 400gr boolits up around 2000fps are killers on both ends of the gun!

Welcome to the fun!
Jay
-------------------------------------
Thanks for you input sir, I really appreciate it. I don't shoot all that much though, and my hope is to find a cast lead bullet that would shoot clean through a buffalo, or bust both shoulders of a Grizzly. I don't know why I want that, but it is my own personal wish.:holysheep :mrgreen:

Rich Cronk
12-23-2011, 12:14 PM
White Eagle,
I just got back from the Post Office, and one of the boxes I shipped is coming to Wisconsin. I can't remember who it is for. [smilie=w: :mrgreen: