PDA

View Full Version : The Miracle of Christmas

DCP
12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
The Miracle of Christmas

It was nearly 100 years ago and it was a simpler time and yet the world had erupted in major conflict which would come to be known as World War I, The Great War and The War to End All Wars. (Little did they know)

It was Christmas Dec 24 1914 an unofficial truce began. Officers and Soldiers on both sides of the trenches had been exchanging Christmas Carols, the German’s Silent Night and the English with English Carols.

Then a German Soldier came out of his trench with a white Flag lighted by a candle lit Christmas tree and ventured into NO MAN’S LAND. One by one Soldiers from both sides joined him; they came without weapons and met hand to hand.

They exchanged gifts of Chocolate, Brandy, Cigarettes, Cigars, and Photos from home. They had joint services and burials of their brothers from both sides in the middle of NO MAN’S LAND. In one such service they all recited the 23rd Psalm. They even played Football (Soccer) by lighted Flares.

These men never faced each other again on the field of battle, a few days after Christmas they were moved from the front because upper command found they had become too “friendly” with the enemy.

In the midst of brutal combat a Miracle of Christmas had truly happened.

My prayer is that the Spirit and Meaning of Christmas touch all of us.

I would like to wish you and yours the MERRIEST of CHRISTMAS’s

Vaya Con Dios

smoked turkey
12-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Amen!

Bloodman14
12-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Where do you find stories like this?

Amen, +1.

burntpowder
12-20-2011, 03:22 PM
I remember being told this story when I was a child. I'm still a child of God. Blessing and Merry Christmas.

bbs70
12-20-2011, 08:40 PM
I've also bee told this story since I was a kid.
It is a true story.
Here is only 1 link to it.
http://pattyinglishms.hubpages.com/hub/Christmas-in-a-War-Zone

calkar
12-20-2011, 10:43 PM
use common sense, ridiculous

Cadillo
12-21-2011, 12:18 AM
A couple of years ago or so, there was a documentary about the incident on either the History Channel or HINT, can't remember which. The producers sure seemed to believe that it really happened.

1Shirt
12-21-2011, 09:35 AM
There were similar events in the Civil War!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Uncle R.
12-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Of course it happened. There were similar if less dramatic incidents in many "modern" wars. And why not? All too often the grunts from both sides have more in common with each other than they do with those who sent them off to some foreign land to kill or die.

The first world war and our own war of northern aggression were both classic examples of the usual type of wars - those fought for political power, control of resources and trade, and the money that results from that power and control. Those have been the reasons and causes of almost every war since the earliest days of recorded history, and while the methods change the motivations don't.

Some wealthy and powerful summamabeech wants something that some other wealthy and powerful person already has - or wants - so they both send the commoners to fight and bleed and die as they plot and scheme for ever more wealth and power. For themselves.

It's amazing to me that the ordinary people can be bamboozled into thinking that such wars are for their benefit - but they fall for it over and over again. We can easily see that the ancient emperors or the medieval kings and dukes fought their wars for political power and wealth, but we can't seem to recognize those same motivations in the "leaders" of today. All leaders - even our leaders. A few slogans, some well-paid newscaster harping on the great evil and threat to humanity of the latest enemy, and we all shout hurrah and march off again.

I suspect that years of government run schools and being surrounded by "patriotic" symbols and slogans are instrumental in keeping the masses blind, but I won't expect any govenment funding for research to prove my theory.
<
Uncle R.

missionary5155
12-22-2011, 05:49 AM
Good morning
Saw the documentery also. The German unit was sent to the Russian Front where it was ground to non-existence. The Brits & Scots were widely seperated and their CO´s disgraced for showing comfort to the enemy. Anymore my question is.. Who is the real enemy of our Constitution ? They seem to be on all sides of us everywhere.
Mike in Peru

DCP
12-24-2011, 11:30 AM
The Christmas Miracle

It was Dec 23rd 2011 it was cold and raining and early in the morning. You could feel the tension on the school bus. It was the last day of finals for the local high school. I just wanted to get to school. Then from the back of the dark bus a half a dozen young men yell. Rick tells us a story. :popcorn:

So I thought for a moment.:Bright idea:

I decided to tell the story of The Miracle of Christmas Dec 24 1914.
One that I learn as a child when the men and woman of the Greatest Generation were my teachers. :drinks:

While telling the story I notice a few were rolling the eyes (there is always a doubting Thomas):not listening:
When I finished the story. The Bus irrupted applauding and cheers. .:awesome:

So the Christmas Miracle of Dec 24th 1914 has been passed to another generation

A small Christmas Miracle.

These young men and women are our future. In the last 2 years 4 from my bus have joined the military.

A Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night

3006guns
12-24-2011, 11:42 AM
The Christmas Truce is historical fact. Both sides ignored the orders of their officers and franternized with each other for hours despite threats from their commanders.

It was not a complete truce.......there were still small areas where the combatants celebrated Christmas by trying to blow each others brains out. For the most part though, each side was simply tired of the conditions and hourly threat of death so they joined with their fellow man to celebrate the day.

The story of the soccer match is real, as recorded by a German officer who was present. The Germans won and there has always been a hot debate about the fact that the referee was a German....

Just shows you how Christmas and the basic, good instincts of man can transcend the horrors of war.