PDA

View Full Version : Accurate Molds

Bushrat
12-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I am looking at a HG 68 clone, and need opinions on the one made by Accurate Molds. I have never seen one of there molds and looking information on there quality and that bullet in particular.

Thanks in advance

geargnasher
12-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Do a forum search using the keywords accurate+molds and you'll be flooded with pages of glowing reviews, many by yours truly. No doubt one of the best moulds money can buy. I don't have one of his #68 clones, but do have a Mihec clone in brass from one of the group buys, it's stellar.

Gear

gefiltephish
12-19-2011, 06:33 PM
I have the H&G 68 clone in 5 cav aluminum. I like it! The sprue plate has a serious trough (I forget what you call this) between cav's. This made my usual method of pressure casting impossible. However, I adapted and have had great success. One of these days I intend to write Tom to ask if I can get sprue plates with just holes, no trough.

My alloy may have a bit higher pb content than ww's, which would explain the weight around 206+, if I recall correctly. BHN is about 11. I found that I need to use less alloy temp for the aluminum mold compared to the brass.

reload68
12-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I have a 3 cavity in brass that i got from Tom and love it. My 1911's love it too & shoot in the same hole as long as I can hold 'um still. I size them to .452 and use WW as my alloy. I'm saving up for another purchase from Accurate. Buy one . You won't be disappointed.

David

cajun shooter
12-20-2011, 08:28 AM
I purchased my first moulds from Tom well before he became well known. I have been casting since 1970 and have always used iron or aluminum moulds.
The brass is heavier to use but they drop perfect bullets from the start so no break in is required.
I have been using two of Tom's moulds for my 44-40 which I designed a better lube holding bullet for shooting BP in three matches a month. These two moulds have made thousands of bullets so far and will make thousands more.
His craftsmanship is as good or better than the other custom mould makers for about half the price.
To me if you have no health problems then go with the brass moulds. No smoking or other work on the cavities and they don't rust like iron or warp as easily as aluminum.
As gear posted, he has tons of accolades from members of this forum.
If Tom does something that you are not sastified with he will make you another at no charge. He is the GURU of CUSTOM MOULDS.

onesonek
12-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Don't have the 68 clone, but do have 4 AM molds. I'm not so sure you can buy better. I would at least agree with Gear, that they are certainly one of the best made.