PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Smelting

wtfooptimax200
12-17-2011, 10:34 PM
I was planning to smelt tomorrow, but the forecast is calling for temps in the high 20s or low 30s. Has anyone smelted at these temps? Will I be fighting the cold to keep the metal liquefied?

XIT
12-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I did some smelting last winter on warmer days which would be close to what you are talking about. It does take more propane for sure. Nice warm work though staying close to the torch and fryer. Have fun. [smilie=s:

zuke
12-17-2011, 11:27 PM
WATCH FOR CONDENSATION!!!!
The tinsel fairy just might show up.

randyrat
12-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Use sheet tin to direct the heat to the pot as much as possible and keep the wind away from the flame. Be careful of the first pour into the mold they collect moisture real fast in winter. I've done it down to about zero degs F, but any colder it takes too much heat. Always use safety glasses.

Just mark my words: Be careful of the first pour in any mold. Any change in Temperature causes condensation.

BOOM BOOM
12-18-2011, 12:56 AM
HI,
I do all may casting in Dec. outside on the back deck in the shade. Yep it is very cool sometimes. I do my smelting in the spring over a campfire, often using snow on the ground to cool the ingots.:Fire::Fire:

crabo
12-18-2011, 01:50 AM
+1 on the tin for a wind break. It even helps when it is hot.

Dale53
12-18-2011, 02:09 AM
I did a couple of hundred pounds a few weeks ago. I have a Bass Pro turkey fryer. Jimmy D was helping me and suggested heavy duty aluminum foil wrapped around the base of my fryer as it was so windy. It worked like a charm and I left it on (it will now be a permanent addition to my fryer).

I knew I needed a wind screen for those windy days. Why didn't "I" think of it?

Two heads are better than one...

Dale53

brucew
12-18-2011, 01:45 PM
My only problem is that my toes get cold. :) 22 degrees here now in Idyhoo and I think I'll do some casting today.
Hint- If you use small bottles of propane, put a heat lamp over it.