PDA

View Full Version : Need Tang Sight Advice

seabreeze133
02-26-2007, 01:27 PM
I have a 1972 444s and would like to have a tang rear sight and globe front sight.

Will the Lyman rear fit without destroying the serial #?

Has anyone tried this combination?

I like the idea of the front globe for the selection of "blades" including different peep and blade sights having used them in Hi Power matches.

Thanks

Don

Bigjohn
02-26-2007, 06:23 PM
LYMAN make a number 2 Tang Sight to fit on Marlin rifles and I assume that is what you wish to place the sight on?

A LYMAN Tunnel Fore Sight should just tap in to the dovetail left by the original foresight. Most Leveraction Target Shooters down here have no problem fitting same.
The screw holes SHOULD already be there. The age of your rifle may be the factor if the holes are missing.

It is unfortunate that it is the spot they chose to place the serial number. Winchesters fit them in the same place.

A receiver type rear peep sight is the alternative.

John.

fourarmed
02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
You'll put your eye out.

Buckshot
02-26-2007, 09:04 PM
..............I'd get the Marbles over the Lyman tang sight. They cost a bit more but are worth it adjustment wise. That is so long as you don't have to deface the serial number. Otherwise, as suggested a reciever sight is the way to go.

...............Buckshot

beemer
02-26-2007, 10:13 PM
The Marbles is a great sight ,I like the windage adjustments. My Marlin 1895 45-70has a Marbles rear and a Lyman target front sight, its a very accurate combo. The base for the Marbles has two screws .One is a replacement tang screw, the other has to be drilled and tapped and it just misses the ser. number on my rifle.The front sight has a ramp screwed to the barrel. I made a new ramp and cut a dovetail to get the hight I wanted. I like the tang sight but they can be damaged easily.
beemer

lovedogs
02-26-2007, 11:12 PM
The globe fronts will be easy... just slide the original out and the globe in. I've heard the Lyman #2 sight has some sort of adapter so you don't mess up the serial numbers, which is illegal to do. You might ask 45nut; he has one for sale.

The Lyman does have the disadvantage of not being adjustable for windage. If it doesn't center up well it's not too hard to sight in with the factory sights then use them to align the Lyman by shimming it on one side or the other.

There is definitely the danger of putting your eye out with the Lyman sight if you don't wear shooting glasses. My gunsmith has a lady friend that did just that. This sight won't fold to the front if you hit it with your noggin. If it hits your eye it can take it out. The lady mentioned lost her eye. Really a tragedy! So if you get one be VERY careful!

wills
02-26-2007, 11:33 PM
http://www.riflesmith.com/win34.gifhttp://www.riflesmith.com/ballard38a.gif