PDA

View Full Version : getting started?

atracksler
12-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I have been using boolits that someone else cast for the past few months, and figure its something I can do just as easily.. right???

is there a newbies thread that I can read through to find answers to my dumbest questions, like what is a good outfit to start out with?

Thanks, ad

para45lda
12-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Welcome!

And yes, as a fellow noob (at least to me) go through the Stickies and glean as much as you can.

And yes, you can do it. But......

If it was easy, anybody could do it. (Sorry for stealing that byline)

Good luck

Wes

12-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Read the stickies, spend a lot of time in the archive, and buy either the 3rd or 4th edition of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook -- better yet, but both.

By the way, welcome.

geargnasher
12-16-2011, 11:08 PM
What 462 said. Buy the books and read them several times. You'll know enough to get started after that, and you'll know what equipment you need.

Gear

Cherokee
12-16-2011, 11:16 PM
What's been said and also Welcome to the forum.

williamwaco
12-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Not to take away from the Lyman Manuals. One or the other is critical to your success.

While you are waiting for it to arrive from Amazon, start here:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

randyrat
12-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Also you have us to fall back on. We can answer most of your questions, just one at a time though.
Start- collecting lead, sell your mothers teeth or trade them for lead:grin:
Start with one gun/caliber that is common. 30 cal, 45 cal,44 mag, 357 or whatever you have. One at a time.
Read and read some more, your gonna save a bunch of money, no wait, your gonna shoot a lot more.

GT27
12-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Safety first,and foremost,everything else is negligible without using safety as your #1 priority!

Mk42gunner
12-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Pay attention to this:

Safety first,and foremost,everything else is negligible without using safety as your #1 priority!

Inb addition to reading the stickies, pick just about any subject to use as a search, and you will be occupied from now on.

Wellcome Aboard,

Robert

jethunter
12-17-2011, 02:06 AM
I just started this year. I read a lot on this forum and the Lyman Cast Handbook. I bought a lee melting pot, a thermometer, ladle, some moulds and handles, flux and sprew cutter lube. I already had an old cast iron dutch oven and propane burner.

I got a pail of wheel weights and some scrap roofing lead, and started casting. I was pleasantly surprised that I made some good bullets first time out. I'm still in the steep part of the learning curve but it went well and I'm having fun. I should have started years ago.

I wish I had bought a bigger casting pot but otherwise I'm pretty happy with my setup for now.

geargnasher
12-17-2011, 02:28 AM

Again, one of the reasons that I recommend the manuals. Safety is first and covered well in those.

Gear

Lizard333
12-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the crack we call Cast Boolits!!

My advise is spend the next month reading all you can! You have been given to excellent resources to read up on, with link to the Fryxell online manual being a great way to start with out costing you a dime. You read that and you are still interested, buy the Lyman manual. You still like that save some money and spend some time in the Buying and Selling section of this forum. You can find lead, if you not able to get it yourself from local tire shops, and most of the equipment you are going to need at a significant savings.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask! We were all were you are at one point, and most of would love to return the favor that was once given to us!

Gear, who wrote the post up above is a bank vault of information, and has probly helped us all out at one point or another. If you find posts and he has commented, you can bet your but he is probly right!

Read, read, read, and then when you think your ready, READ SOME MORE!

Most of all, HAVE FUN! Casting boolits has been the most rewarding activity I have had in the last five years.

GOOD LUCK!!:drinks:

mdi
12-17-2011, 02:12 PM
My only caution, besides casting safely, is to be very cautious about any videos you may see on youtube. Any ya-hooo can post a video and claim to be an expert, and I've seen some very questionable (a.k.a. stupid) practices for casting bullets...

Casting your own bullets for your own custom ammo is prolly the most rewarding part of the whole shootin' game. Sometimes when I've nuttin' to do I'll remelt some bullets I have in stock and cast new ones. I don't know if I cast/reload so I can shoot, or shoot so I can cast/reload :bigsmyl2:

Welcome the Brotherhood of The Silver Stream...

12-17-2011, 03:09 PM
"My only caution, besides casting safely, is to be very cautious about any videos you may see on youtube. Any ya-hooo can post a video and claim to be an expert, and I've seen some very questionable (a.k.a. stupid) practices for casting bullets..."

That statement cannot be stressed enough.

I've watched only one casting video -- don't even know what made me watch it -- and the guy was none too safe in his method, which could easily cause a new caster to acquire some very serious burns.

birdadly
12-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Also take a look at all the "Location"s next to the wonderful people on this site. There's a fair chance you'll find a few close to you. I did and so far have met 2 people w/in 30 miles of me. I just started this year as well, and one of those 2 met me in person a couple of times already to help me on my way, while the other I was able to trade a few things with to also help me get going!

Have fun, and yep, be safe. No reason to rush, as it's a real fun hobby and we may as well take our time enjoying it! Once you get going, there's a good chance you'll quickly have more boolits than you can even shoot! -Brad

1Shirt
12-23-2011, 12:05 PM
As stated many times above, read, and then read again. Cast & reload when you are not tired so that you don't make fatigue mistakes. Safety first! Good luck!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Echo
12-23-2011, 02:25 PM
What they said - and Welcome!