PDA

View Full Version : gun safety

colt 357
12-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Hey guys just ran across this video on you tube were a guy shoots himself in the leg practicing a quick draw. He explaines what happens. WARNING THIS VIDEO IS A LITTLE GRAPHIC. But I feel it is a good thing for us to be aware of it. BECAREFUL OUT THERE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE&feature=feedu

KYCaster
12-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Here's a follow up to that video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTGmTrQXrwg

After seeing this I watched a few more of his videos. I fail to see why anyone with mediocre skills would want to advertise the fact on the WWW.

I don't claim to know anything about tactics or defensive shooting or the proper use of tactical gear. I have been involved in handgun competition (USPSA) for very nearly half my 65 year life and I've seen lots of people make lots of mistakes (me included).

One lesson I've learned is, you don't change your gear and go directly to full speed drills. I don't care how many times you've used the equipment, when you change from one style of gun or holster or...??... to another you need to do a bit of dry fire practice before you go to live fire drills.

I don't know who manufactures the holster he was using when he had the ND; I've seen several people using them at the local matches and they scare the HOLY CR** out of me. It's not unusual to see people fumbling with retention holsters...even LEOs who carry them every day and qualify with them on a regular basis often have trouble with them....but when the fumbling involves the trigger finger applying pressure in close proximity to the trigger....that's a recipe for disaster. The trigger finger's job is to pull the trigger. If you expect it to do anything else, eventually you'll have problems.

As Bugs Bunny would say, "WHAT A MAROON!!!"

Rant over....back to your regularly scheduled program. :coffeecom

Jerry

btroj
12-16-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't understand why people "brag" online about being an idiot. Tis is like the guy who had a YouTube video after he said he fell and gut shot himself with an M1.
I personally find it much better to keep my idiocy to myself.

BOOM BOOM
12-17-2011, 07:19 PM
HI,
WOW THAT'S GOT TO HURT.:Fire::Fire:

starmac
12-17-2011, 08:46 PM
No video, but this clown shot himself twice, and it hurts me just thinking about it.
I also laughed so hard it hurt. lol

Zachereya McGrew had a really embarrassing injury. But far more humiliating was how he got it.

When the 23-year-old discovered that his car speakers were missing, he figured he knew who’d swiped them — a teenager from a nearby Wichita, Kansas, neighborhood. And he’d make the kid pay.

The teen was in his front yard when a white four-door Toyota zoomed up and McGrew jumped out of the backseat. He ordered the youth to get in the car and take him to his speakers, which the terrified boy refused to do. McGrew then reached into his waistband and pulled out a handgun (a stolen weapon, incidentally, which he’d gotten in a trade for his pit bull). At that point, the teen took off at a sprint, and McGrew fired at least two shots at him, missing his mark.

Once the boy was out of sight, McGrew slid the gun back into his waistband. Maybe he fumbled things because his pants had begun to sag, or maybe it was his nervous excitement, but McGrew’s finger squeezed the trigger, firing off a perfect shot — into his own left testicle. That can cause a guy to flinch, which McGrew did, pulling the trigger again and sending another bullet slamming into his left calf.

His two friends, who were in the Toyota, immediately drove him to the hospital, where McGrew shuffled in, crying with pain. Police were quickly summoned, and struggled to make sense of what McGrew told them through his tears. He first tried to save face by telling the officers that he’d been shot in the groin and leg by an unknown Hispanic man. But finally, he confessed that the damage to his privates was self-inflicted.

McGrew was charged with aggravated assault and pleaded guilty.

NSP64
12-19-2011, 01:38 AM
That is why you practice over and over and over with a gun using snap caps.
I would have been impressed if he had still engaged the target.
If shot by some bad guy then I guess he will walk off cussing. LOL

Stephen Cohen
12-19-2011, 02:26 AM
Sorry only an idiot puts his finger on trigger, before coming onto target.

Bad Water Bill
12-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Stupid is as stupid does. :bigsmyl2:

missionary5155
12-19-2011, 05:57 AM
Good morning
My dadīs reloading buddy got his foot playing fast draw about 55 years ago.. Then not to many years later my cousin put a .357 through a mirror & wall.
Mike in Peru

cbrick
12-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Video like that only make one statement, very loud and clear.

I am an idiot, I want the whole world to know it and here's proof.

Rick

ErikO
12-19-2011, 12:40 PM
You can't fix stupid, but only smart folks know that. ;)

shooterg
12-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Our range has been around since 1951 or so - only range gun injury in the whole time has been an LEO who shot himself in the calf . As long as these folks only shoot themselves, hope they all learned something !

WildmanJack
12-19-2011, 09:00 PM
After the shot my training took over.. I called mommy and daddy and then 911... This viddeo is not being made to be ridiculed.. Come on dude... Should have been more careful PERIOD !!!!!!!!
Jack

FISH4BUGS
12-20-2011, 09:51 AM
I shot myself with an old Ruger Red Eagle 22 pistol. This was before they had the magazine cutoff safety. The 10th round was in the chamber and I dropped the magazine .....looked at the magazine....nothing there.........voila! Empty gun, right?
While reloading the gun with it sitting on my left hip in my hand, I somehow touched the trigger and the bullet went in high on the inside of my thigh, traveled the length of my thigh, bounced off the backside of my femur, went out just above the hamstring. went back in at the top of my calf and stopped just above my ankle.
I have carried the bullet in my leg for 40 years. No need to remove it....it is harmless where it is.
All I know is that it makes a good story. I cannot even imagine putting it up on the web. World wide ridicule. Bad enough to tell the story.....having someone do a musical about it is beyond embarrasing.....but screamingly funny......
But there is no accounting for taste, huh?

Storydude
12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
SERPA strikes again.

1Shirt
12-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Quick draw makes little if any sense to me. It is a stunt for the movies, and or professional quick draw artists not for the agerage gun nut. If the issue is self protection, then can't visualize a burgler or stick up guy doing a "High Noon" bit with you.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

mroliver77
12-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Sorry only an idiot puts his finger on trigger, before coming onto target.
Old school revolver tactics had your finger on the trigger at draw and starting the pull as you raised the gun.

I don't know if this was for everyone but the older handgun books taught this. The first time I seen somebody complaining about finger being outside the trigger guard I thought the guy was a moron!

It took a lot of practice to change my style!
J