PDA

View Full Version : On a brighter note

frkelly74
12-16-2011, 01:21 AM
We are getting 3 to 6 eggs every day now from our remaining chickens. The 4 roosters were delicious and every one ate some without any problems, even though every now and then one of the kids would say "I wonder if this was good old Aztec or Fluffers" . Three more have declared themselves roosters now though. One is a Black Ostrolorp or something like that and the other big one is maybe a Jersey Giant. They do not have the boistrous devil may care personalities of the red roosters. They are not fun loving but more just mean. The third rooster is a small grey Silkie. He is kind of a clown but does not back down from fighting with the big roosters. I saw him dart between the legs of the Ostrolorp during a sparring match and the big rooster could not figure out where he went. So he started into the house and abruptly backed back out down the ramp with the small rooster hanging on to his face.

We did have one neighbor complain, after we butchered the 4 roosters. She liked to hear them crowing she said.

starmac
12-16-2011, 02:49 AM
way before I even started school we would every year raise and butcher around 50 roosters, any pullets would rotate into the layers. So my sisters and I always got to help and were raised thinking they were food. When I was around 12 we had a pretty good size rooster that I fought with all the time, he would try to flog me and I would slap him down, so he was kind of my buddy. He finally jumped on mom as she was bent over a stack of lumber. She whacked him with a 2x4 and killed him. When she came in and put on a pot of water to pluck him with she told me to go get him. I was kind of sad until I got out to the barn and he was running around, like nothing ever happened, so i went back and told her laughing. She handed me the 22 that was kept by the kitchen door, and said I said bring me that rooster. lol

missionary5155
12-16-2011, 05:17 AM
Good morning
We had a neighbor whoīs son was about 4 years older than me. Very nice polite feller who always was kind to us younger kids. One day we was roaming about thier acres & Gary had his bow with a couple arrows. When we were headed back to his house there in the distance was his dadīs favorite rooster making a fuss over something. Gary says" Every morning long before there is any light that bird letīs loose & wakes up dad who wakes all of us up". So Gary says I will fix that & nocks-up a shaft, raises it and lets loose. Had to be at least 50 yards as it looked like a far shot for a caliber.22 Remington 514. Well that rooster was hopping all over mad about something when his feet hit the ground facing away just in time to get that blunt feild point up the grill doors. You have never seen a rooster run like that one could run trailing a new set of feathers. Gary lost several arrows trying to stop that rooster before someone of adult age returned home. Finally the old bird keeled over from blood loss & Gary dispossed of the evidence. Fortunately for him there were fox raiding neighbors coops. Gary went on to drive multiengine sub hunters.
Mike in Peru

frkelly74
12-16-2011, 09:56 AM
When I was very small we lived in a house that my grandfather owned across the street from where he lived. He would come over to offer "helpful " criticism of anything he thought needed criticism. My mother did not take it very well. We also had some chickens out in the yard and there was a rooster who would come out and defend his territory any time he thought it needed defending, whether it did or not. And there was always a 410 in the corner and a couple of shells in a glass jar sitting on a shelf. Social services would have a cow about that nowadays. So after one of my grandfathers helpful visits my mother went to get eggs and the rooster challenged her and it was the last time he ever did. BOOM! I am quite glad she shot the rooster and not my grandfather. I think he may have modified his approach to my mother after that though.

ErikO
12-16-2011, 12:29 PM
My wife's plans on getting some chickens will forward my plans on a Ranch Rifle quite nicely. ;)