PDA

View Full Version : Real Old School

Tom-ADC
12-15-2011, 02:07 PM
This belonged to my uncle, they used to race at one of the many closed airfields in the area after WW 2.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/19381983/400078828.jpg

Alvarez Kelly
12-15-2011, 02:09 PM
NICE! I love that kind of stuff!

starmac
12-15-2011, 03:03 PM
X2, I still love the small time tracks, where an average person can compete.
I don't even pay any attention to nascar or any sport for that matter that takes millions of bucks to be competitive.

PatMarlin
12-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Awesome Tom!

Reminds me of some of my work years back. I did movie sound tracks and post audio production sound track work for a couple guys known as the 'Jackson Brothers" who made movies of nostalgia racers, Altereds.

One was a movie called "The Shoe Box Dream" I did, -think it was back in 1988 or 89. One of my first complete soundtracks with sound effects and one of my songs was the movie theme song.

That was fun stuff. Shoulda probably stayed in the business as I enjoyed it, but I'm to much of an outdoorsman, and being cooped up in recording studios for years, got to me.

Chicken Thief
12-15-2011, 03:23 PM
X2, I still love the small time tracks, where an average person can compete.
I don't even pay any attention to nascar or any sport for that matter that takes millions of bucks to be competitive.

Ya have to!
Any sport involves a human being and from 0-18 they ai'nt free;)

starmac
12-15-2011, 07:02 PM
I guess you are right, I even go to some of the college games, and they sure ain't free. lol
I just have a hard time with pro series, in about anything except rodeo, and with them guys it is always a gamble. lol

BD
12-15-2011, 08:09 PM
When I was a kid in central PA there were a couple of dirt tracks in the area that hosted midget races every Saturday night. "Half Time" was a demolition derby which anyone could enter. Most of the midgets were owned by regular guys, some farmers, some 1/4 midgets by sons of farmers, pretty low budget but folks were real serious about winning.

I started working in a body shop at 13, a good source of cars. I think I was 14 before I drove my first "Demo" in a 56 Buick, stripped and given to me by "The Fat Man", (my boss), at Williams Grove Speedway. It could be that I might have stretched my age a bit when I signed up. I probably went through a dozen cars all told. The best were the Oldsmobile Vista Cruisers with the fold down rear facing seat in the back, driven in reverse, followed by the big old 50's Buicks with the massive front ends and rubber nose cones, driven forward. This all had to be kept secret from my middle class, school teacher, folks, who would have freaked had they known.

My regret at the time was that I didn't have the cash to build a midget in secret. My regret today is that I have no pictures at all from those days :( My Mom would ask me where I was going, and I'd answer, "Out". I dated girls from the next town over who were unlikely to blab to anyone who knew my folks. And as I was mostly home by midnight, and no one came looking for me later, my parents accepted that.

I have a feeling that big time legal fun is a lot harder to come by for teens these days.

BD

starmac
12-15-2011, 08:52 PM
A lot of things I did for fun when I was in my teens would get you prison time now. lol
I felt for my kids, I am really feeling bad for the world my grandkids will have.

Frank46
12-15-2011, 11:47 PM
I have a funny feeling that a lot of stuff we did as teens probably suprised the heck out of us as we're still alive to tell about it. I know I am. Frank

Tom-ADC
12-15-2011, 11:57 PM
One comment, I just turned 70 if I'd know way back when I'd have lived this long then I would have taken a hell of a lot better care of the package.

Beagler
12-16-2011, 12:00 AM
This belonged to my uncle, they used to race at one of the many closed airfields in the area after WW 2.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/19381983/400078828.jpg

thats when racing was real racing not all the regulated nascar stuff. Nascar originated from the old moonshiners and look what it has become. I will stick to my tractor pulls. Thats is a nice old race car

starmac
12-16-2011, 12:17 AM
When tractor pulls first came out, I went to everyone for a couple hundred mile radius until the big money guys more or less took it over. It was a lot of fun when it was farmers competing and hot rodding their farm tractors.

I still like dirt track racing and mud bogs and drags.

ErikO
12-16-2011, 12:32 PM
I may have shelved my ideas of building a hot rod but they still get me goin' when I see them. Someday I will have a lead sled of my own!

When I was growing up, I managed to get to Santa Fe Speedway a few times (a dirt oval track in Willowbrook, IL which is sadly now long gone) and the scent of high-octaine, roar of over-built V8's and mud filled the air. Good times!

As far as fun stuff to look at/watch, I'm glad that Bigfoot 4x4 is local and puts on a demo every year in the car lot next door to them.

Trey45
12-16-2011, 12:43 PM
If that car is made by CZ it's a winner (The door is marked 75B)

Tom-ADC
12-16-2011, 05:26 PM
If that car is made by CZ it's a winner (The door is marked 75B)
Trey I think that is because the B stands for B/Altered and 75 is the car number.

MtGun44
12-16-2011, 09:29 PM
It sure LOOKS fast!

Bill