PDA

View Full Version : Wax bullets

dk17hmr
02-24-2007, 11:55 PM
I dont remember what I was searching for but ran across an old thread about wax bullets, someone was shooting inside the garage and killing mice or somethign with them. One suggestion was drilling out primer pockets on some brass so that a 209 shotgun primer would fit.

I tried that I did 5 peices of my 45 acp so the primers would fit, but with my 1911 it was diffecult getting them loaded without the primer falling out, no big deal, I tried some regular primers in different brass, bingo.

I made my "bullets" with candle wax, I melted down some old candles I had for making lube, I poured the melt into one of my round lube pans and let it start setting up, once it got not quite soild not quite liquid I started pushin cases in it to cookie cutter my bullets.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/wax.jpg
After I had all the wax bullets seated in the cases I went back and primed them.

I am going to shoot them tomorrow but, the ones I tried today were nice for shooting at a bucket with, trigger control and sight picture, it will help with my handgun shooting for sure.

Lon
02-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Someone else wrote, "I still frequently do the Bill Jordan thing with .38 specials. I have about 200 .38's with the primer hole drilled out and notched on the rim as my way to identify these wax shells. I use a round pie pan and a bar of Gulf Wax. Melt the wax over a double boiler until liquid and the wax is about 1/2" thick in the pan. Remove from heat and place it it the fridge until it gets "just right". Just right is when the wax is hard enough to set inside for a nice clean cut, but not too liquid where you get smears. I use a pencil eraser the next day to push the pills against the primer. Prime and shoot. Very accurate from 0 to 20 Feet."
The primer holes are enlarged slightly to keep the primers from backing out some when firing.

uscra112
02-25-2007, 01:29 AM
Yup, this got a number of articles in the 1950s in American Rifleman. I've read 'em all.

dk17hmr has duplicated the technique perfectly- except I never read about trying to use shotgun primers. The old guys used regular pistol primers, but they did drill the primer holes out to .125" or so.

Nelsdou44
02-25-2007, 10:19 PM
dk,

An alternate to the "wax" is to use your mould to cast soft bullets from hot melt glue. Not my idea, I pulled it from a posting a couple years back from a Czech pistol forum.

I cast up a number using a 30 cal mould for my CZ-52 (7.62x25), used regular pistol primers without reaming out the primer holes out, and lightly lubed the barrel. Won't cycle the action of course, but powerful enough to penetrate a heavy cardboard box at 10 feet. The hot glue bullets are tough enough to reload again if you can find them.

Nels

dk17hmr
02-26-2007, 09:41 PM
I tried the hot glue bullets today before coming down to college. I made about 10 of them and they came out nice enough that I brought the glue gun, a 45 cal mold, and about 15 glue sticks down to my dorm room this afternoon. My room mates couldnt figure out what I was doing with the glue gun and my bullet mold then I pulled a 45 ACP case out of my pocket and pushed one of those clear bullets into the case, it all clicked and then the questions came. What are you going to shoot with that, how much powder do you use, why not just shoot regular bullets.

Oh the fun I am having with non-lead right now, I have about 50 bullets made up right now. Dont get me wrong I still love my lead always have my standby loaded in one of my mags, 255gr hard cast at 875fps. Wonder if I can get these plastic bullets to cycle the action of my 1911, for rabbit hunting purposes.

The one I tested was with one of my 209 primer cases and it blew threw the 1/2" sheet of drywall I had my target on.

popgun
02-26-2007, 10:44 PM
I used the wax bullets in both .38 and .45 cases with the flash holes drilled out as noted above. I would stick one bull about 6" above the other, aim at the top bull to put the hits in the lower one from about 20 ft. I found accuracy was OK, but they left a mess in the bore to clean up. Too much of a hassle in the auto, but works better in a revolver.

MT Gianni
02-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Make absolutly sure that when you grab a magazine you know what's in it. It sounds like a lot of fun but i would not keep a mag. loaded with jacketed anywhere near one set up with cast. Gianni.

DLCTEX
03-01-2007, 10:51 PM
DK17HMR; I don't think you can get it to cycle your 1911. I wonder if Federal primers would give more velocity? Just thinking about Lee's warning against using them in my Loadmaster press due to the explosive force of a detonated primer. You could shoot the rabbits with shot loads, search for threads, they won't cycle either, though. Dale

Slowpoke
03-01-2007, 11:22 PM
DK17HMR; I don't think you can get it to cycle your 1911. I wonder if Federal primers would give more velocity? Just thinking about Lee's warning against using them in my Loadmaster press due to the explosive force of a detonated primer. You could shoot the rabbits with shot loads, search for threads, they won't cycle either, though. Dale

Now I guess that depends on the shot loads.

My shot loads that I assemble for the 1911 will function just fine, 18 lb spring and all.

Cut down Rem. 308 cases, shortened Rem SP410 wad, 1/3 oz # 9 shot, 6.2 gr 231 = 1200fps !!

good luck

Parson
03-01-2007, 11:39 PM

The reason most manufacturers of progressive presses dont recomend Federal pistol primers is because they have the softest cup and are the easiest to set off. The same reason almost all bullseye shooters with extreamly light triggers use Federal. Mine are so light they will only fire Federals

dk17hmr
03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
So much to report on "plastic bullets"

10 shot group at 5 paces in shot it the garage. Using a drilled out flash hole and a Magnum Rifle Primer and no powder it seems to group well.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/p1.jpg

I did try a few of the 120gr 9mm mold glue bullets in dads 357 with the 6.5" barrel and had the first 3 hit the target the 4th was stuck in the barrel. So I pulled it out with a jag I made and have the barrel cleaning right now. I will stick with my 1911.

I am considering tumble lubing the bullets and powdering the load with some cotton over the powder to keep the flame away from the bullet base. Why you ask, so I am not useing up my lead and its easy on the ears, where as my cast bullet will blow up a rabbit and make you deaf with one shot.

GRAPHIC!!!!
For what it is worth, these are not toy loads, here is proof. I went on a rabbit walk in the pines tonight with a mag full of these, they dont cycle the action but what better place to keep them then in a mag. I just cleared some brush and looked ahead to see a small possum looking at me at a Self Defence range of about 6 yards. I drew my 1911 from my drop leg holster leveled and fired, direct hit to the fore head dang near hit him cross eyed, not the kill shot, thick skull, but really screwed his day up, he didnt move more then 2 feet and it wasnt very fast as I loaded another round from the mag. I leveled and hit him in the eye, this was the death shot. He rolled around and then gave in.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/possum.jpg

nighthunter
03-02-2007, 09:16 PM
dk ... good shootin. Them possums can take a beating. When I used to trap fox I got some good talleys on grinners.
Nighthunter

nelsonted1
03-10-2007, 10:21 PM
How would Bondo work? I bet they'd explode since they'd probably be too hard. Would bondo be corrosive?

No_1
03-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Bondo does not seem to rust cars in my experience with it....

Robert

How would Bondo work? I bet they'd explode since they'd probably be too hard. Would bondo be corrosive?

44man
03-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Make sure you use scented candles, makes the kills smell better!
I once shot a possum in the head with a wooden arrow from a 55# bow. Had a blunt on it and the head broke off and I could hear it whistle off in the distance like a ricochet from a rifle. Darn bone must be 3" thick.

Jim
03-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Doug,
'Scuse my ig'nance, but I have to ask: Is there any preperation to the mold required to keep the hot glue from bonding the mold together? Or does the mold seperate without problem? Are you shooting the hot glue through the sprue plate or are you filling the mold and then striking off the excess by closing the sprue plate on it? I'm intrigued by this concept of hot glue bullets.
I'd appreciate all the details you'd be willing to share with me.

Thanks,
Jim

Char-Gar
03-11-2007, 08:22 AM
I can attest to Bill Jordon use of wax bullets as discribed above. I bought my first home from Bill Jordon many years ago. He garage was thousands upon thousands of impacts markes from wax bullets. In afew places, the dry wall had two foot holes in it where the targets were.

As an aside there were impacts marks ALL over the garage, even the ceiling. Even Bill pulled an occasonal shot or two or five hundred

nelsonted1
03-11-2007, 02:04 PM
I meant errosive. Would Bondo damage a barrel. I don't think it would work since it is very hard- probably come out in chunks or dust. But it is cheap