PDA

View Full Version : Help, first cast in a long time

30calpal
12-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Heated up my Lyman 10lb pot with mostly wheel weight and a few lead sinkers. It was fairly cool outside. My bullets would not fill out. I put the Lee-RanchDog mold in the melt and covered it all to get hot. I managed to get about 10 fairly good boolits. Most had to go back in the hot tub. I never did get a good one out of the rear hole. I just couldn't get the mold hot enough to fill out the gas check area and leave a sharp heel. Next time I'll set the mold on a hot plate. Yall think that'll help? I used a Digital Thermal Temp Gun from Harbor Freight to check the melt. According to the Temp gun, it only got up to 450*. I'd didn't think lead would pour at 450? Maybe the temp gun is wrong? I was looking for 680* but NO WAY, that day. Any suggestions?

Jack Stanley
12-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Get things hotter , shield it from the wind , don't cast outside when it's cool ..... probably several more things . I think adding a couple hundred degrees to the melt will help a lot .

Jack

darkroommike
12-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I've heard on this forum that the IR digital thermometers do not work well for lead casting, I'll probably buy one anyway (cool toy potential) but would look to another type of thermometer for lead casting.

williamwaco
12-12-2011, 08:35 PM
IR thermometers are calibrated for non reflective surfaces, they will not measure any object with a shiny reflective surface.

I have always had trouble casting outdoors in cold weather. I am from Texas. Anything below about 45 degrees is cold to me.

If you can, take it into the garage. If not, try wrapping the pot with a couple of wraps of aluminum foil and make a cute little foil cap to set on top.

Do anything you can to keep the mold hot.

To get the mold hot, start casting as fast as you can without being careless. Dump the bullets as soon as the sprue turns frosty. Do not wast time looking at them. Refill the mold immediately and dump it again. Depending on the ambient temperature, the size of the mold and the size of the bullet, it can take from six or eight fillings and dumpings up to around 20.

You will know the mold is hot enough when it takes the sprue seven to eight seconds to solidify.