PDA

View Full Version : Good Lube Sizer

joed
02-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Who makes a good lube sizer like the STAR? I think STAR's customer service is falling apart. Recently I ordered 2 sizing dies from them, one in .410 and one in .411. They sent a .411 but 2 of something else marked .410 that I have no idea what they are. A .454 bullet will fall through it so I don't know what it could be.

All calls have failed to get the correct dies from them and I can't be fooling around waiting for something that may not come.

On that note I'm looking for a sizer to replace the STAR. I'd prefer something that works like the STAR. Or is there somewhere else I can get the sizing dies?

marks40x
02-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Ballisti Cast makes a sizer similar to a Star and even can use Star dies. Heres a link http://www.ballisti-cast.com/ . It's the Mark VI.

Dale53
02-25-2007, 12:58 AM
I am surprised that you have had problems with Magma. I have just recently, on two separate occasions ordered and received correct dies post haste.

However, here is another source of dies for your Star sizer:

257 to .515

Robert Stillwell
10937 Kingsbury Road
Kingsburg, TX 78638
Phone: (830) 639-4752
Fax: (210) 658-0629
Email: sizedie@gvtc.com

Dale53

Springfield
02-25-2007, 01:45 AM
I just received my new Magma pot from them, no problem. I also bought a part for a broken Star sizer, very easy, and a couple of 38-55 sizer dies last month. From what I understand they are a relatively small company and a little backlogged right now. There was another sizer that worked very similar like the Star, there was some talk about it on the forums a few months ago, but I don't remember what it was called, I like my Stars.

32 20 Mike
02-25-2007, 02:48 AM
I'd give them a call at Magma, I've ordered several sizing dies without problems, and I'm sure they would make it right in short order. Mike Steward Leather

joed
02-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll try the other places. STAR was good to me up until this last transaction. For 2 days they wouldn't answer the phone when I called and then the wrong parts and quantity. And I have their Master Pot and STAR sizer. Both quality but the customer service hasn't been good.

They told me the correct parts were on the way but that was 7 days ago and still nothing.

No, I'll try elsewhere for parts.

Lloyd Smale
02-25-2007, 09:50 AM
magma and star are two completely differnt companys. Star has been out of business for many years. Magma makes a copy of the star. Like was said ballistic cast makes another copy that might even be a better press but it is more expensive.

bobthenailer
02-25-2007, 12:24 PM
ive had problems with star in the past but never with magnma .

ELFEGO BACA
02-26-2007, 08:02 AM
I purchased three sizing dies about a week ago from Magma. They left a message on my machine that my credit card # was not good. I called back and corrected that and the dies arrived 'immediately'. :)

No problems with Magma by me!

JerryW
02-26-2007, 10:06 AM
It was a pre WW2 Mepos it works gteat. JerryW

LAH
02-26-2007, 12:18 PM
No problems with Magma.........Creeker

joed
02-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Well, there is a happy ending. Magma did get the correct sizing die to me and took care of the problem. The biggest problem was I got a part time employee that left everyone else in the dark.

LAH
03-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Glad things are settled. One place a man doesn't need trouble is his casting/loading equipment............Creeker

Swamprat1052
03-08-2007, 11:49 PM
I have had good luck with Magma. Ordered parts for my old Star Sizer and they were super nice and helpful. Everything I ordered worked great. I kinka like them folks.

Swamprat

Marshal Kane
03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
magma and star are two completely differnt companys. Star has been out of business for many years. Magma makes a copy of the star.
When Star (San Diego) went out of business, the Star lubrisizer was purchased by Magma Engineering, Queens Creek, Arizona. Magma produces the lubrisizer under the Magma Star label.

The Star reloader is still in business the last time I looked, relocating to Pioneer, California. Bill Cunningham produces the Star reloader. www.starmachineworks.com

The misconception that Star is no longer in business is the result of San Diego Star selling out but the products that we are most interested in are still available. Hope this clears things up.

Sundogg1911
03-09-2007, 02:57 PM
It looks like the Starmachineworks, only sells rebuilt machines and parts. I dont believe new ones are still being built. :-(

Marshal Kane
03-09-2007, 05:45 PM
You may very well be right. Have emailed Star inquiring about this. Will post the reply.

LAH
03-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Marshal they don't produce Star Loading Machines. I wish not to get the cart before the horse so I look forward to the answer you receive but I think we'll learn it's a rebuild center that can't really do "all" as some stuff simply isn't available nor being produced. But anyway we'll see and thanks for your effort. It would be nice if they can do all and produce all as lot's of these machines are out there yet and they aren't bad machines............Creeker