PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weight types??

mazo kid
02-24-2007, 07:23 PM
I apologize if this has been answered here before, but I seem to remember reading about different "types" of wheel weights. I know there are the clip-on, stick-on, and some that are shiny silver looking and it stands to reason that they each may be composed of different alloys. If this has already been addressed, please send me in the right direction to access the thread(s). Thanks. Emery

versifier
02-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Try the "Search" button at the top of the page and prepare to do some serious reading. :-D In general, they are composed of castable alloy (clip-on), pure lead (stick-on), and **&%()#@$$!!! zinc. You can find all kinds of pictures as you read the threads and posts, too.

mazo kid
02-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the tip; I had done a search before but must have been too specific as I only got one post. Typed "wheelweights" and got a bunch of posts answering just about any question I had. Emery

Bigjohn
02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Two days ago, I picked up a batch of wheel weights from my tyre dealer and sorted them out.

Most weights are cast onto the steel clip in the clip on version. In the lastest batch there was a number of weight which were rivetted onto the clip; discard these. Also found some marked 'HONDA' etc. which appear plated/painted; also discarded.

Of the 'stick on' most were pb; some were marked 'Z' or otherwise including some which were very shiny even after use and had only a weight marking. The stick on version take a little more sorting to be certain that the risk of zinc contamination is reduced.

John.

mazo kid
02-27-2007, 07:17 PM
I sorted thru a bucket of WWs yesterday and have not found any I could identify as zinc; found 6 oz. of stick-on, and 3 riveted ones. I got the WWs from a local small rural tire place; they do a lot of farm trucks and some semi tractors....LOVE those big 2 oz to 6 oz WWs!! Emery

versifier
02-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Beware the riveted ones!

drinks
02-27-2007, 11:51 PM
A lot of the shiny ones just have a coat of paint to make them look better on mag and aluminum wheels, stinks the place up when the rubbery paint burns off but they melt good.

buck1
02-28-2007, 03:38 PM
melt at a low temp and pitch anything that melts to slow.