PDA

View Full Version : ? on a Dripamatic?

fishnbob
12-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Is it possible to have too heavy of a flow from an older Lee that could cause nose wrinkling? This is my 3rd cast with this Accurate 36-175R and out of a coupla hundred boolits, I hardly have 50 perfect ones. The boolit can look great around the bands and base and invariably have a wrinkle on the nose. The mold ain't cold 'cause every now & then they start frosting. It looks like the best ones I got was when I dribbled it on the sprue hole slope and swirled it into the mold slowly. I don't see any thing in the vent lines under a magnifying glass. What do y'all think?:?

beanflip
12-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Try a little solder your mix of lead that your using . Run your lead a little hotter might help also.

stubshaft
12-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Having a wrinkled nose is not as critical as having a faulty base. It is also possible to get frosted grooves with a mold and/or alloy that is too cold. Try a ladle if you have one.

7of7
12-17-2011, 01:54 PM
I was casting for my 54 cal.. and noted some similar problems.. I reduced the flow, and the problem went away..
I reduced it to about a 1.5 second mold fill...(as if I was counting) basically, about double what it was taking.. It could be that the mold is filling to fast..
Mine were 330 grain bullets though..

Reload3006
12-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't know that too much flow is a bad thing but I do know that when my dripper gets partially plugged my quality goes straight in the crapper.

Roundnoser
12-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't know that too much flow is a bad thing but I do know that when my dripper gets partially plugged my quality goes straight in the crapper.

Some good points here...When my spout gets partially blocked, the lead will "fan out" as it pours. It will sometimes pour out at an angle instead of going straight down into the mold.

In my experience, the lead must come out faster than a drip, but slower than a stream. I like it to "flow" out.

Could you possibly have a little bit of lubricant inside the cavity that is causing wrinkles?

fishnbob
12-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Some good points here...When my spout gets partially blocked, the lead will "fan out" as it pours. It will sometimes pour out at an angle instead of going straight down into the mold.

In my experience, the lead must come out faster than a drip, but slower than a stream. I like it to "flow" out.

Could you possibly have a little bit of lubricant inside the cavity that is causing wrinkles?

I don't think so, it happens on different cavities at different times. I wipe them with q-tips after getting them up to casting temps.