PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weight collection

Freightman
02-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Called a tire co. that I have done business with about their WW. Here is their answer "we do not sell to people like you because we know that you cast boolits from them, and we are not going to be a part of that dangerous activity" I said are you saying that it might be hazzordus to my health because of the lead? "no we are against anyone having guns"
Well I will inform all the gun owners I know that we do not need to buy tires from them as they are plenty of tire co. that are as cheap and cheaper than they are.
I informed him that I would no longer be a customer! he said "I didn't matter as he didn't need my business".

imashooter2
02-24-2007, 03:48 PM
So... what is the name of the company?

TedH
02-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Is that a local outfit or a chain store?

Freightman
02-24-2007, 04:02 PM
It is a independent. J's tire service. not a national chain.

jdhenry
02-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Some people aren't too bright. Just a simple "we recycle them" would have done.

But no they would rather loose business ?????? DUH!!!!! If it is a big tire chain I'd call higher up. Tell them what I was told. Then I'd Explain (well kinda lie) That I don't cast boolits I cast fishing weights, and if that is truly the their stance on guns I would be happy to pass it on to all the gun owners I can find, Just to save them the trouble of having to take money from them..............................................

Who knows You just might get a boat load of free ww just to smooth things over!!!!!:)

Jeremy

Bigjohn
02-24-2007, 04:25 PM
I buy my tires from a franchise tyre outlet. I know the people there and regularly check in on the wheel weight bins. Only yesterday I picked up one and a half 20 litre (4gal. equiv.) for a donation to the staff social club.

Spent most of yesterday afternoon sorting the clip on, stick on and others (junk).

Found some strange ones amongst the batch.

I must refine my pick up method.

And these people know I am casting boolits from them. As they have no problem with me using them for that purpose I go back and buy my tires. If they did well, I know they would not be getting my business, even tho they have the right to their own opinions, right or wrong.

I will be smelting this week to prepare the material for casting.

John.

Newtire
02-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Have been noticing my supply being taken by someone else apparently and since it's a gift anyhow, kind of thought "Oh Well, It was good while it lasted..." I did a little thinking about how one of our big shots was having a meeting and grousing and ******** about how the place looked like Hell & he wanted us to clean better etc. etc. Well, 2-things happened that prove the angels watch over cast boolit shooters. The guy doing all the ******** got let go and acting on a hunch, I asked the cleaning lady if she was throwing out the wheelweights. She said she was because of the orders from her boss. So now I have my supply back and am rid of a real rotten boss to boot!

NVcurmudgeon
02-25-2007, 12:33 AM
All hands repeat after me, "I cast sinkers, only." Dunno why, but in the minds of many of the great unwashed, fishermen are innocent, and shooters are terrorists. You never know who you are talking to.

Sundogg1911
02-25-2007, 01:11 AM
that's amazing! The Guy's that I get my wheelweights from are great. They love to see the finished bullets, and always have questions about casting. The Owner of the tire shop and His wife go to church with my Wife. It just amazes me that in this day and age people can still possibly thing bullets are evil! ignorance seems to be alive and well, but it suprises the hell outta me that it's happining in Texas.

ron brooks
02-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Especially in Amarillo. Must be a rabid anti-gunner.

Ron

wills
02-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Any gun dealers or clubs around town have a bulletin board where you could post a summary of your conversation? People may not want to buy their tires from the antis, if they can keep from it.

Frank46
02-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Place I go to is in the town down the road. Just go up to the desk ans ask to speak to the boss. I introduce myself and ask if he has any wheel weights for sale. If he asks I tell him they are for making boolets. Described the process and we go out into the shop and see what his angels have left for me. I pay cash and a full bucket rarely costs over $20bucks. Heck they even put it in the bed of the truck for me. They have always been good to me and vice versa. I thank them for the wheel weights and drive off into the sunset. A few places I have gone to say that because they are a national chain that they are required to hand in all old weights. I get my sheet lead or plumbers lead at the junk yard. Just fill up the buckets, weigh them and pay the lady behind the window. Give a couple bucks to the guy and he puts them in the truck bed. Still waiting to find a full barrel of linotype one of these days. Ah well we can all dream about the big score. Frank

The Dust Collector
02-25-2007, 05:02 PM
The last time that I went to get wheel wieghts, I went to the local Goodyear garage and the Boss told me that if I (we,two of my Sons were with me) could set the tub in the back of my truck, I could have them and the tub for FREE! The tub was heaping full. The tub's size: Fiberglass 18 inches wide X 14 inches deep X 24 inches long. Both of my Sons will fill a doorway, they're really big boys. Well no sooner than the Boss left he came back to see how I (we) were doing, ( I just know that he was looking for a good laugh) the W/W were in the bed of my truck! I brought the tub back yet that day, and he is still saving W/W for me. A case of beer seems to be sufficient payment! By the way... the Boss did get a laugh, but not the laugh that he expected.

OBXPilgrim
02-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Some of the shops I've stopped at don't ask what I want them for, but some have. It helps to have a photo or two of some very large fish & tell them about my beach fishing trips. Being the honest type, I have made sinkers from some of my wheelweights (not many).

Forester
02-25-2007, 08:51 PM
I was in Greenwood SC a few weeks back for business and decided since I was there for a few days I would take a couple buckets and try and score some out of town WW. I was having some success and I decided to stop at a Firestone chain store.

I went inside and talked to the guy for a minute and when I asked about old WW he said "sure but they are all steel". I paused and saidd "I mean the old ones you have taken off of wheels" His response was that no one uses lead WW anymore and that all his old ones were steel too but I was welcome to them if I wanted them. Being more than a little skeptical that all of the hippies in SC did business at this Firestone store I said I would happily haul them off for him and left with a 5 gallon bucket full of Lead WW.:roll:

I guess he thought because some were painted they were steel? Or just because theyused steel everyone did?

Marc2
02-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Riding around in an automobile is alot more dangerous than shooting. And hes encouraging people to drive by selling them tires? Shame on him.

Marc

Marc2
02-25-2007, 09:40 PM
He must be one of them tireorists.

Marc

Sundogg1911
02-25-2007, 10:50 PM
tell 'em the WW's are for fishing. You go out back to the pond and blast the carp with a 240 SWC! :)

Bigjohn
02-25-2007, 11:09 PM
:-D
He must be one of them tireorists.

Marc

DAMN IT !!!!! Marc, now I have to clean off my computor monitor again! :-D

John

jdhenry
02-26-2007, 03:59 AM
HMMMMMMMMMM and you save money on bait..... So you can buy more beer....

Works for me:)