PDA

View Full Version : It wasn't my Fault! I swear it wasn't!

PatMarlin
12-09-2011, 11:21 PM
...:Fire:

After working here all day, I filled up one of the pear bins my brother-in-law gave me with firewood. Came from their pear farm in Courtland. I fill them up then set em' on the porch with the CAT once a week. That way we don't have to go out and and haul in firewood from the wood shed.

Well today is a full moon isn't it? Figures,. Here's what happened this time:

http://www.patmarlins.com/porch1.jpg

Sheesh- Ya think I coulda got one more winter out of that porch?

I didn't build it. It wasn't my fault! ...:bigsmyl2:

http://www.patmarlins.com/porch2.jpg

... :Fire:

PatMarlin
12-09-2011, 11:22 PM

So I headed on up the hill to an area I'm thinning and brushing. Picked a Doug Fir that I was keeping for just such an occasion and fell it with my trusty Stihl. I decided to go with the Herman Cain 999 plan and bucked it up at 9' lengths as the porch is 8' 6" square, or was 8' 6" square I should say... :mrgreen:

http://www.patmarlins.com/downbuck.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/pickedup1.jpg

The task at hand is to get the logs down the hill to the mill. That small orange looking thing off in the distance, through the trees.

http://www.patmarlins.com/downtomill.jpg

PatMarlin
12-09-2011, 11:22 PM

This area was just choked in with trees, brush, and pecker pole trees. Cut out hundreds of them, and more needs to come out. I started thinning and opening up this section last year. You couldn't even see the western sky or sun it was so thick. This is what we use for firewood and lumber. It's a lot of work, but I think it's a lot of fun.

Thought I would take a few photos showing you guys one of our old growth Douglas Firs. It's got to be 500 years old. It has 3 other trees growing out of the sides of it.

http://www.patmarlins.com/oldgrowth2.jpg

It's charred on one side from a forest fire that happened who knows when. This tree would laugh at a forest fire today. The Shasta Trinity National Forrest was full of these giant sized trees. This is what the old timers logged. We have 3, with a forth dropping over a few years ago.

http://www.patmarlins.com/oldgrowth.jpg

More pics of my progress to come tomorrow. Got better things to do, but even though it obviously was not my fault, I've got to deal with it anyway ...:mrgreen:

starmac
12-09-2011, 11:28 PM
It is hard to see from the pic, but is that a mobile dimensional saw.

stubshaft
12-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Pat you're leaving all of that flux on the ground!lol

oneokie
12-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Is that standing water between the wood bin and the screen door?

PatMarlin
12-09-2011, 11:44 PM
That's my Woodmizer LT40 HD. I call it my Kawamizer as I rebuilt the mill and retrofitted the old Onan 25 with a 27hp Kawasaki water cooled engine.

That is snow stain on the wall. I don't have the time, but the whole thing is going to get ripped out and redone.

There's no CFF flux trees in these pics. I should go up and take one so you can see it. More old growth, but giant pines not Doug Fir.

AkMike
12-10-2011, 12:53 AM
If you'd make the fresh porch a touch bigger you'd have room for a hot tub! ;)

Dennis Eugene
12-10-2011, 01:13 AM
Well Pat, I've logged a lot of old growth Doug Fir lots of it 8 foot and bigger in diameter. Does that make me one of "The Old Timers"? ;>) Dennis Eugene P.S. Nice pics

PatMarlin
12-10-2011, 02:08 AM
Well Pat, I've logged a lot of old growth Doug Fir lots of it 8 foot and bigger in diameter. Does that make me one of "The Old Timers"? ;>) Dennis Eugene P.S. Nice pics

I'm sensing a trick question here. Can I get a multiple choice? :lol:

mroliver77
12-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Dang!,
When I cut a 30" - 40" tree, I think I cut a big one! lol When making firewood a 36" piece is plenty to roll up on the splitter! Next year I think I will build a loader for it!.

Oh ya, nice setup and great area you have there Pat!
J

Olevern
12-10-2011, 10:51 AM
At least there's not two feet of snow on the ground.

Wayne Smith
12-10-2011, 11:07 AM
An no, I don't think the porch will last another winter, to answer your question!

DLCTEX
12-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Just lay a few planks between the door and the wood box and wait for a more convenient time to rebuild.:mrgreen:

Blacksmith
12-11-2011, 12:28 AM
It is your brother-in-laws fault because he supplied the defective box that broke the porch. You have pictures to prove it. Your wife should be extra nice to you since it was her brothers fault.

Blacksmith

Bad Water Bill
12-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Sure is some beautiful country there Pat.

Can we ALL come out next summer and play?:kidding:

TamNemo
12-11-2011, 02:45 AM
It is your brother-in-laws fault because he supplied the defective box that broke the porch. You have pictures to prove it. Your wife should be extra nice to you since it was her brothers fault.

Blacksmith

Uh... WRONG.
The brother-in-law in question that provided the firewood (and bin) is Pat's dear, sweet sister's husband. Didn't know the bin was included! Though maybe it would make a good hot tub, Ya?? :wink:

That - or it'll have to be returned by the sheriff as stolen, complete with the firewood. He can keep the broken porch! :mrgreen: [smilie=p: HAR!
Hey bro - want some avocados?? (Heheh I got'im now)

Hardcast416taylor
12-11-2011, 03:21 AM
I guess you could look at it as the porch now has a built in angle so the wood in the box will roll toward the door as it gets used. What do you guess the height of the old fir to be? The old time loggers would fall these trees with a double bit axe and cross cut saws - WOW!:shock:Robert

TamNemo
12-11-2011, 03:23 AM
WTH..? Tried to load a profile pic... Followed instructions, correct sizes, pixels, etc.
But - it "Failed" Grrr. I know - this AIN'T the forum to whine about it.

Sigh... Don't have time tonight but will read more about new "rules" later. But it shouldn't be this complicated to upload a pic!?

My Saturday Night Complaint for the week!

Okay - Cheers Ya'all!!

TamNemo

TamNemo
12-11-2011, 03:39 AM
Sure is some beautiful country there Pat.

Can we ALL come out next summer and play?:kidding:

Sis' here again. Okay:

I'm sure he'd LOVE the company... BUT! Don't plan on sittin' around any ole' campfire until ALL the W-O-R-K is DONE! Period!

Oh, and if you want any cookin' or attending from his wife - you'd damn well better bring her a nice contribution or gift of some kind!! ;-) Trust me :) (I know the woman!)

Olevern
12-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Sis' here again. Okay:

I'm sure he'd LOVE the company... BUT! Don't plan on sittin' around any ole' campfire until ALL the W-O-R-K is DONE! Period!

Oh, and if you want any cookin' or attending from his wife - you'd damn well better bring her a nice contribution or gift of some kind!! ;-) Trust me :) (I know the woman!)

Ouch (as he goes slinking off into the sunset)

PatMarlin
12-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Lordy- now you guys got my Sister goin' ...:groner:

I've been trying to work the insurance angle with no luck so far. Bro-inlaw just sold Kings Taste. Their autta be some ACLU laws on the books covering this. I'm calling Jerry Browns office tomorrow.