PDA

View Full Version : Want to start a cast bullets class at local gun club

Sixgun Symphony
12-09-2011, 10:51 PM
I moved to Wenatchee, WA after coming back from overseas and joined the North Central Gun Club when I found out they had a 600 yard rifle range.

We got lots of handloaders there, but so very few ever cast bullets. I am thinking it would be fun to start a class sometime around March or April when the weather gets warm.

Anyone here do the same? :cbpour:

ku4hx
12-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Here in the sunny South I do my casting only in the Winter. Just too hot to do it any other time.

I did a demo at a gun club I was a member of in the mid '80s and there was a lot of interest. People found it interesting but that's where it stopped. At that time components were cheap and casting just didn't catch on. But one time so long ago shouldn't deter you.

bowenrd
12-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I have never done that. You could post a sign up sheet at the club house to find out if there is any interest.

ku4hx
12-10-2011, 11:36 AM
You could post a sign up sheet at the club house to find out if there is any interest.

+1 You'll never know until you actually ask the question and assess the interest level.

1Shirt
12-10-2011, 12:13 PM
The concept if right! However you may be introducing a limiting factor to your own sources of lead. Might be worth it however.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

captaint
12-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah, make sure to try to lock down your sources of Pb first. New competiton, you know. enjoy Mike

fallout4x4
12-10-2011, 03:33 PM
you might ask in the left coast casters social group also. maybe someone here lives nearby that will help you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/group.php?groupid=24

10x
12-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Don't do it . There may be one guy who becomes a dedicated lead scrounger. We have a couple of those here (town of 6,500) and it is extremely difficult to find any scrap lead as these guys are on it like flies on a gut pile in August.

Echo
12-11-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm not a member of any local gun club, but wanted to do the same thing, through the County Parks & Rec, at a County range. MANY hoops to jump through, and need liability insurance, and haven't gotten around to it. Wrote up a lesson plan and all. Would be fun to do.

quilbilly
12-11-2011, 02:50 PM
I did a one hour class at the Quilcene Antler Show last September and got a good response but what really surprised me was when I set up a display table at the Antler Show for a couple hours of Q&A. A lot of people had quick questions and they really liked my one page flyer on comparative costs of factory vs jacketed reloads vs my cast boolit reloads (both rifle and pistol). I also did one page flyers on myths and safety precautions. Midsouth Shooters Supply helped out by sending me a stack of their sale bulletins.

Sixgun Symphony
12-11-2011, 02:58 PM
You all gave me some things to think about. I have some time before the weather warms up in March to consider the options.

I will bring it up at a board meeting and post in the newsletter when I am ready to do it.

quilbilly
12-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Let me know if I can help. I hope you are right about it getting warmer in March and April. It sure didn't last year so I cancelled my annual long range desert target shoot down by Moses Lake then. I did keep all of my packaged sample rifle and pistol boolits that I used at the Antler Show.