PDA

View Full Version : brass across border blues

enfield
12-09-2011, 06:01 PM
:violin:well a friend of mine tried to order some brass from track of the wolfe & was told they can't ship to canada anymore, I thought I would try on line and they sent all the stuff but the brass was cancelled " cannot ship brass to canada at this time". did anything just happen in the news involving a 50-70 in a bank heist or a fully automatic 56-50 spencer seized from drug cartells ? what sad times are these.

Ed in North Texas
12-09-2011, 06:12 PM
:violin:well a friend of mine tried to order some brass from track of the wolfe & was told they can't ship to canada anymore, I thought I would try on line and they sent all the stuff but the brass was cancelled " cannot ship brass to canada at this time". did anything just happen in the news involving a 50-70 in a bank heist or a fully automatic 56-50 spencer seized from drug cartells ? what sad times are these.

Our current Administration isn't exactly what you could call firearms friendly. With a State Department unconstrained by a Secretary of State with a positive firearms view, we probably shouldn't be surprised. They are probably just working up to the UN Arms Control Treaty implementation (this bunch does not believe they need the Senate to ratify a treaty to put it into effect).

/soapbox off/

bigted
12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
idnt dat dandy! watch for whats commin next folks....straight into the $&!tt#r!!!

longbow
12-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Exporting of ammunition or reloading components, including empty brass, requires an FFL. If they have one they should be able to ship, however, there may be extra paperwork that either costs money or time or both to fill out so not worth it.

Also, don't cross the border and buy brass. It is illegal for a non-citizen to export it. It is fine to bring into Canada but it is not fine to possess or export from the US if a non-citizen and still requires an FFL if you are a citizen.

Just be real clear here, it is perfectly legal for me to mail say some cast boolits to a friend in the States but not for an American to mail boolits to me.

This rule has been in place since 2002 if memory serves. It has not been widely enforced and many business didn't care until recently but now many will not sell to Canadians (or other foreigners).

If you are in possession in the States and get stopped in a Homeland Security checkpoint they will likely confiscate any items on their no, no list.

Longbow

Chicken Thief
12-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Funny thing is that the "law"/rule only applies to individuals not dealershttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/banned.gif http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/JC_doubledown-1.gif

Gunlaker
12-10-2011, 01:53 PM
If you need a Canadian source try posting on the Canadian Gun Nutz web site. There are importers who bring it in.

Chris.

EDG
12-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Midway sells this brass and has outlets in several countries.
However remember that the 50-70 has the big bad military origin.

montana_charlie
12-12-2011, 01:16 PM
However remember that the 50-70 has the big bad military origin.
Does that make it ammo for assault weapons?

Don McDowell
12-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Check with Buffalo Arms, they ship to Canada.

zuke
12-13-2011, 05:37 AM
It say's "50", so it must be used to shoot down airliner's........

reivertom
12-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Our current Administration isn't exactly what you could call firearms friendly. With a State Department unconstrained by a Secretary of State with a positive firearms view, we probably shouldn't be surprised. They are probably just working up to the UN Arms Control Treaty implementation (this bunch does not believe they need the Senate to ratify a treaty to put it into effect).

/soapbox off/

Yeah...they can sell truckloads of assault rifles to drug gangs, but we can't ship obsolete blackpowder casings to Canada. Makes me want to puke every time I think about it.

Hednign
12-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Oh yes. The no go on import of brass sucks like Jenna Jameson... Brass shotshell however is ok. Maybe I should go and buy a 12GA FH..

I wanted to put an old Hepburn 40-50 SS back into bussiness earlier this year. No, nada, out of stock. Not possible to import. Had to buy 30-40 Krag brass, fireform and a whole lot of brass work in a lathe machine to get them right. Those Krag casings has wowfully thick walls.

I dont get it... why is there an export limitation at all???

Gunlaker
12-21-2011, 12:22 PM
For obsolete brass In Canada I almost always contact Jerry at Mystic Precision. He has brought in "hard to get" brass for me such as Norma .45 basic, .45-110 Jamison, and .38-55 (long) Starline brass. There is usually a bit of a wait, but the prices are not too far off of BACO's. I'm not aware of any U.S. Company that will send brass across the border anymore due to the high cost of export permits.

Chris.

Rafsob
12-30-2011, 10:50 AM
If you are in possession in the States and get stopped in a Homeland Security checkpoint they will likely confiscate any items on their no, no list.

Longbow

What Homeland Security checkpoint??? Have we thrown out the fourth amendment???

blaser.306
12-30-2011, 11:26 AM

This goes along the same line of thought, I purchased some parts from Brownells for a 1911 a1 and with them arrived a letter from the state dept., that informed me that I was obligated to ask their permision (in writting ) to re sell the parts supplied to me (in Canada ) wheter as is or installed in a firearm . ( Quite likely ) It has come to a point that the line separating safety and paranoia have becomeblurred/ non existant ! I can see the need to controll actual items that pose a threat but lets be serious ANYTHING can be used as a weapon if there is a person/people wishing to do harm to others! [smilie=b:

gandydancer
12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
I was born and raised on the border between Calais Maine & Saint Stevens(wrong spelling) New Brunswick. moved out 50 years ago and never went back. I belive one has to have a passport to go back and forth today. sad. GD

Got-R-Did
12-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Just labled my brass sent there as multi-use high pressure test vessels, no problem.
Got-R-Did.

zuke
12-30-2011, 07:15 PM
It's not just brass.
I'm trying to find some stainless steel bore brush's and keep getting the "We don't seel out of conus"
Their just bore brush's. or steel cleaning brush's.
It is frustrating at time's.

Gunlaker
12-31-2011, 12:33 PM

Sometimes they set up checkpoints just before the Canadian border, on the U.S. side. I've gone through them. They usually seem to be asking firearms related questions.

I don't ever buy anything firearms related in the U.S. except perhaps reloading tools which are not subject to restrictions. Everything else is mail order. If it weren't for Buffalo Arms I don't think I'd be able to do much BPCR shooting up here.

Chris.

Rafsob
12-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Sometimes they set up checkpoints just before the Canadian border, on the U.S. side. I've gone through them. They usually seem to be asking firearms related questions.

I don't ever buy anything firearms related in the U.S. except perhaps reloading tools which are not subject to restrictions. Everything else is mail order. If it weren't for Buffalo Arms I don't think I'd be able to do much BPCR shooting up here.

Chris.

It would appear that your government and mine sucks!!!

Anytime a government starts to worry about there citizens and subjects, it usually is about guns. That is why the UN (***) is trying to get everyone to sign on to the small arms treaty. Remember who is running most of these governments, despots!!! They fear the people having guns to over through them.

That is why we have our second amendment and must fight to protect it from that rotten slimy bast***!

zuke
01-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Our gun regrestry is SUPPOSE to be on it's way out in the next 3 month's.
It's cost at least 2 billion and hasen't saved a life.
If a guy can't buy a gun to kill his wife,he'll just go to the dollar store and spend $1 for a knife,and their not regestered for some reason.