PDA

View Full Version : help! -- -we need a new printer

Bullshop
02-23-2007, 11:45 PM
I use it a LOT for schooling and for the shipping labels. I want one that will hold up, for quite some time (the one we have is an HP - bought 9 years ago). I am not sure what is all out there, but for now, we have not replaced the computer, still trying to baby this one along, will that matter?

Bull Shop Mom

RayinNH
02-24-2007, 12:09 AM
BS Mom, I've pretty much stayed with HP printers. You'll find they have come down in price since you bought your last one. You can find a decent one for around a $100. However if they go three years consider yourself lucky, at least that has been my experience...Ray

454PB
02-24-2007, 12:16 AM
I've started buying the cheap ones by Lexmark. They cost about the same as a color ink cartridge, come with a cartridge, and last me a long time. Anymore you buy the ink cartridges, and printer comes free.

Ivantherussian03
02-24-2007, 01:15 AM
I have a Hp PSC 1210 xi all in one. It is very useful. It has been fine for me. Knock on wood. They cost $100 bucks. You can adjust the amount of ink they use in draft copy. They do color too. It is four or five years old. Hope this helps.

Four Fingers of Death
02-24-2007, 04:49 AM
If you do a lot of printing, check around for a ink refill set. Saves you plenty money. Most of the existing cartridges will not work and the mob I buy off supply replacement cartridges, etc. I got four ink tank cartridges, a big syringe and four bottles of ink, one black and three colours. They do excellent pics on our Canon (my wife decorates cakes and the make good presentation photos (I tried to get her to do it for money ;) but she only does relatives for free, ah well!

If you try and refill most cartridges these days they have a self destruct built in and spill their ink all through the machine.

Volume black and white demands laser printers.

You might be well advised to get a decent laser for donkey work and a little cheapo for colour printing. The little printers are cheap, the cartridges are dear, and they don;t do much before giving up the ghost and saying 'spend another $50 on me Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :D Mick.

SharpsShooter
02-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Lexmark makes an entry level laser printer, the E250dn for $250. I have one at work and it does the bulk of my printing needs. Mick is on the right track about the laser printer for the "donkey work" and use a color model when needed.

SS

imashooter2
02-24-2007, 08:31 AM
If you don't need color, the per page costs of a laser will easily pay off its higher initial price. I keep both a laser and ink jet attached to the machine and only use the ink jet on rare occasion.

No_1
02-24-2007, 08:51 AM
BS,

Take a look at this one: http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/product/prodBlock.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&expansionOID=-536907413&prodBlockOID=537442680

The toner cartridge is here: http://www.officedepot.com/inkTonerRefine.do?Ne=570&Nr=100000&N=100000+1100000698

I have a brother sorta like this one I bought 2 years ago that I use extensively to print notes and also use it for the Avery Labels on the GatorCheck GB. Also have 3 girls + the wife printing from it because I have it networked. We are still on the first cartridge but I am sure it will need replacement soon.

If you want this one, you have to jump on it since the sale ends today!

Robert

Underclocked
02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Might need to know more about the computer itself to make a recommendation but that little Brother 2040 laser printer (no. 1 recommended) has both USB and parallel port connections - an older computer might not have adequate usb support so the parallel option could be nice. Be aware also that most USB printers do NOT come with the USB cable ... if you need one don't buy it at any of the big chains, check monoprice.com for cables.

How old is your computer and what is are its problems? Often a new 2032 coin-cell battery will help (about $2 or less in most drugstores and will frequently eliminate some odd behavior).

I use inks from this place http://www.private.abacus24-7.com/home.aspx without problem to date and the inks even produce great looking color photos from my Canon IP 3000 printer.

fatnhappy
02-25-2007, 12:10 AM
I got this printer last year and couldn't be happier. It cost $64 after the rebate, and I used an online coupon to get $4 shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828112055

Be patient getting your rebate, and save the invoice e-mail until the rebate check is in your hand. they tried to deny the validity of my rebate, but after a couple rounds e-mails they honored it.

FWIW, I make my living with laser printers.

Gunload Master
02-25-2007, 12:41 AM
I've got a Magicolor 2400W Color Laser printer, and I can honestly say I am not going back to anything else. I've printed enough color photos on this that would take two color ink cartridges and it's still going strong. I got mine for I think it was 229.00 bucks. I should be able to pick up color toner fairly cheap but it won't be for a while.. If you can afford one I would highly recommend this route.

wills
02-25-2007, 01:09 AM
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/print_1600n?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb
Uses maybe one or two cartridges a month.

fatnhappy
02-25-2007, 11:29 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/IMG_2052.jpg

wills
02-25-2007, 11:41 PM
I like that one! How many copies do you get per toner cartridge, and how much does the cartridge cost?

fatnhappy
02-26-2007, 01:02 AM
I ran 45000 prints on it today, it took 5 miles of paper, 6 electro ink cans and 8 gallons of oil.

wills
02-26-2007, 01:09 AM
I ran 45000 prints on it today, ... 8 gallons of oil.

So it must smoke pretty bad?

fatnhappy
02-26-2007, 01:19 AM
only after sex.

DLCTEX
02-26-2007, 09:51 AM
We have a HP 3100 in our small office, scanner, copier, printer. The cartridges are cheaper than the other printers we've had and there are different settings to conserve ink. We've had it about a year with no problens. DALE