PDA

View Full Version : Ran over my I Phone

DLCTEX
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
I was loading some equipment and had my BIL using his tractor with a front end loader. After loading I missed my cell phone and found it where the tractor had run over it. The Otter Box carrier kept it from any apparent damage, but it was toast. I was able to upgrade to an I Phone 4 and my sweet wife had just recently synced my I Phone 3 to our computer, so she just plugged the new phone into the computer and all my data, pics, everything was in the new phone. Thanks Dear!:guntootsmiley:

Stick_man
12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
You are a lucky man. It is always a good idea to have a backup... and a good wife. :)

starmac
12-09-2011, 03:06 PM
LOL I still have a flip phone without even a camera, and some days I wish I didn't have that.

Bomberman
12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
I know the feeling...I ran over my Blackberry a few months ago with a forklift. It had fallen off of my belt when I was getting in the forklift and I never saw it until it was too late.

Mooseman
12-09-2011, 03:36 PM
I shot Mine with the 12ga........Pull......Boom.
After my carrier sold out to another and they jacked up my rates and the service got worse, I called them and the jerk at the new company said I had to pay for 4 more months when I didnt even have a contract to fulfill...The shot was the last thing the guy heard and so Now you just have to leave a message if I aint home !!!

PB234
12-09-2011, 03:39 PM
I lost mine and replaced it with a $12 phone. Can't say I miss the monthly cost of the iPhone.

1Shirt
12-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Don't have an I phone, but I have managed to run a cell phone thru the washing machine, drop one in the toilet, and loose one someplace in a parking lot (I think).
Durn things are just to easy to loose and, I have not been able to dry one out in rice like some say works.
1Shirt!:coffee:

mold maker
12-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I never had an I phone, but the last one had way too many bells and whistles. I let a younger generation talk me into the purchase because, it didn't cost any more.
The blamed thing did everything except take and make phone calls, with ease. I now have a simple phone without all the extra garbage. I know if it riings, it's for me, and It's waiting for me to make a phone call at my leasure. No contract, no games, no texting, no photos, NO PROBLEM.
On top of that,,,, IT"S CHEAP.

woody1
12-09-2011, 04:01 PM
:confused:What's an I phone?

I ran over my Blackberry
The last time I ran over my blackberry I just picked some more!

Tom-ADC
12-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I was over a friends house yesterday he asked me to scan and send some paperwork via email for him, his son usually does this but wasn't due there for hours.
So I did as asked and then his phone (landline) rings and when he picked it up it was a rotary dial princess phone, Ken says it works why upgrade.

jcwit
12-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Wife and I share a TracPhone for emergency use, costs us $19.95 every 3 months, does all we need.

G. Elser
12-09-2011, 04:30 PM
:confused:What's an I phone?

A smart phone made by Foxconn / China.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10889347

... famous for their working conditions.

southpaw
12-09-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't have a cell phone. Nor do I have any intentions of getting one. If you want to find me you are gonna have to do it the hard way. I have committed to too many moulds in the group buy section that I can spend the money on and I will actually use them.

Jerry Jr.

Ps I should say that I do pay for one for the wife to keep her happy, but I don't know a darn thing about it.

DLCTEX
12-09-2011, 08:23 PM
This thing does everything I can think of and a lot more. I use it for business every day and it more than earns it's keep. Rather than wait until I get home to use the computer to search for an item for a customer, print it out, take it back to the customer, I can do it all on the spot, show a picture, and even send it to their cell phone or e-mail. Then order and pay for items at the same time. I won't be without it.

RKJ
12-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I just upgraded to a "Smart phone" (Android OS) and darned if that thing isn't too smart for me. I'm figuring it out and am beginning to really like it but I do miss just flipping open the phone and saying hello. :)

RayinNH
12-09-2011, 10:55 PM
I don't have a cell phone. Nor do I have any intentions of getting one. If you want to find me you are gonna have to do it the hard way.

Jerry Jr.

Ps I should say that I do pay for one for the wife to keep her happy, but I don't know a darn thing about it.

Southpaw, same here. :drinks:. I absolutely detest the telephone...Ray

Bullwolf
12-10-2011, 12:41 AM
There is no cell phone coverage where I live, and it suits me just fine. Once you get a ways down to the county road, you can pick up cell reception again.

I am often astounded at just how addicted to their cell phones people have become in the city. It's inversely proportionate to your age. The younger they are, the more it upsets them not to be constantly connected at all times.

Since there is no cell coverage for me, there is little need for me to have a high tech cell phone. I already have a computer, I don't need a hand held one.

I get a kick out of how much the lack of cell coverage upsets my friends and visitors when they come to see me. Most simply turn their phones off, or the batteries go down fast while the phone is constantly searching for a signal. I will say one thing, I get a lot more peace and quiet because of it.

I have a cheap burner phone in the vehicle for emergency use. (typically off)

The public pay phone, in my area at least is becoming a thing of the past. There will soon be a generation that will not remember a public phone booth from anything other than Superman movies. "It's your dime" will make little sense to that generation, and as I recall it was pretty far past a quarter before public pay phones started to dwindle anyways.

There used to be a pay phone at the Post Office/Country store down the road from me, but its long gone now. Although, the sign for it is still there on the road.

I do have a land line on the Ranch, and it works just fine if someone needs to get a hold of me. The land line is even a bit more stable than the power grid is for me on most days.

My one small concession is that I have a cordless phone, so I can take it with me to the shed, or the barn, or wherever. (and that it is not a rotary phone) I'm not a complete barbarian, or a technophobe after all. ;-)

- Bullwolf

Jason30-30
12-10-2011, 03:33 AM
I Like My iPhone Infact Im Typing This Thru It

Bret4207
12-10-2011, 09:01 AM
My oldest just toasted another $100.00 phone. I think that's #11 or 12. Most his mother has bought for him. He didn't even ask this time, just waited till his paycheck came in and went to Wally World to buy the bottom dollar Straight Talk phone. Of course they didn't have a single one, but at least he tried to show some responsibility, so I'll give him a point for that.

I've had 2 phones in about 10 years. Both are bottom of the line TracFones and the only reason I got the 2nd one was because it was too old for TracFone to update anymore or something like that. We now have cell coverage that can hit me most anywhere on the farm so the family can get a hold of me for emergencies like asking where their socks are or if there's milk in the fridge or if I'm in the house. Yeah, they have their good points and bad cells phones do.

firefly1957
12-10-2011, 09:21 AM
IPhones should come with a supply of preparation H!

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-10-2011, 09:45 AM
zoom!:D

Olevern
12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
No I-Phone = one more gun I can buy :0

pdawg_shooter
12-10-2011, 11:51 AM
I am 60 years and STILL don't have a cell phone. Don't want one either. I was deer hunting with a friend 2 years ago, we had indianed up a nice buck and was getting ready to shoot when his cell started ringing. Amazing what a 270 will do to a cell phone at 25 yards! He doesn't own one anymore either.

gray wolf
12-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Nope ! don't have one--don't need one, don't want one.
If it were up to me you would have to send me Smoke signals.
Why do I want my location tracked ? who need the extra expense?
( which I ain't got )
Just another thing people got sucked into,
Tex-ting ? Sorry I could never get my head around typing a bunch of letters that looked like code. Why in the world would I want to press all those little keys
when All I have to do is say, HELLO !
I laugh my A$$ of when I see all te folks with phones stuck in there ears,
No matter the place I am in, Store of any kind, car, walking down the street, ECT.
I can't believe how malleable and easy to sway some ( most people are )
But everyone makes there own choice I guess.
I just can't figure out what is so dam important as to be on the phone constantly.
Just saying and it's just my point of view.
I guess if you love your friends --you love there Phone.

montana_charlie
12-10-2011, 01:38 PM
My I-Phone got run over by a tractor,
Loading up some gear the other day.
I felt my little world begin to crumble,
'Cuz no one could hear the things I had to say.

But, I think that Santa Claus will bring another,
If I hold my mouth just right, and pray.
Unless Grandma decides to sue old Santa,
Because she got run over by his sleigh.

I'd like to call the elves up at the North Pole,
To tell them that my new phone should be red.
But, there's no way to get that message to them,
My I-Phone got run over ... like I said.

DLCTEX
12-10-2011, 07:50 PM
A husband and wife from Texas last deer season were in their deer stand, which was a platform. The lady sat in a chair and the back legs scooted off the platform, toppling her backward to the ground. She was impaled by a rebar anchoring the stand and her husband used his cell phone to call for help. It took considerable time to locate them as the directions were scrambled under stress. The GPS cell phone would have located them quickly. The GPS function is very good in 911 calls when people don't know just where they are or are confused due to injury or unfamiliarity. Yes, we have lived all this time without it, but some have died that could have been found in time or could have suffered less. A very good feature IMHO.
If I wanted to visit Sam and Julie and he could give me his GPS coordinates, I could view his place from satellite on google earth and/or then let map quest lay out the route and guide me to them.

gew98
12-10-2011, 09:14 PM
LOL I still have a flip phone without even a camera, and some days I wish I didn't have that.

I'm right there with ya !. I farkin hate these dang phones with all the bells and whistles that distract and annoy. I don't do lunch wiht the crew as theese kids and some of their 'dad's just sit there and all stare at their gadety phones the whole time. Conversation and eye contact are lost on these techno dweeb zombies !.

casterofboolits
12-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Just a plain 'ole cell phone for me paid for by my two RN daughters which they insist I carry when away from home. They need to locate me for emergency baby sitting.

Boondocker
12-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I have a 3g phone as I drive truck and use it for work as pay phones are getting non existent. It also help when I am hanging at the terminal waiting for my loads. I can surf the net and read my forums or learn to watch spanish tv in the break room lol. We all seemed accustomed to learn our home pc's to get on our forums and a 3 or 4g phone is another avenue towards it. My beef is as of 26 of this month is that all commercial vehicle drivers are subject to a $2600.00 fine for talking on a handheld tho 4 wheelers can run and talk and text and cause major problems on the highways. There is some real idiots texting and driving with no awareness whats going on around them, mainly 4 wheelers. I use a bluetooth so it will not bother me. Yes i like cell phones as i am gone 14 hours a day doing line haul.

gray wolf
12-11-2011, 02:59 PM
some very good reasons given for the use of your cell phones.
Some of them why we had a track phone. We are out of peoples eye sight and far off many times. If I had the 20 or 30 bucks to get more minutes I would.
Fact is we don't.
Some of the reasons given in the above posts
only a fool would disagree with I am not a fool.
I guess I am speaking about the addicted people that can't keep the phone out of there ear.
Bottom line for me is do what ever makes you happy as long as you can tell when it infringes on other people. If it don't then go for it.

mroliver77
12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
I have a cell phone on my EX wife's plan. I cancelled the land line as it just kept getting more expensive for poor service. I give the X some $$ when I think of it to help pay for the phone.

I like the idea of being able to call for help if my truck breaks down. I have had friends call that needed rescued. I would not live without a phone at all so why not have it in my pocket?

I cannot see the tiny pictures on them so I never use the camera(or try to view others pics on their phone).

I forget things so family and friends text me reminders. I sometimes reply. I have figured out that I can program my own reminders for appointments, meds, birthdays etc and have my phone remind me. Sometimes I forget to set it up though. :(

I usually use "Hand me down" phones that others give me when they upgrade.
J

SharpsShooter
12-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Wife and I share a TracPhone for emergency use, costs us $19.95 every 3 months, does all we need.

Yep, same here. What's an I phone???

SS

btroj
12-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Technology is here to stay. Some of us use it, some don't.
How many of the people who say they don't like the idea of a smart phone also thought that high speed Internet would never be in their homes?

I have a smart phone as does my 71 year old mother. She keeps in touch with her 5 Frankie's via text message. She is smart eou to know that she needs to communicate the way kids do, the kids aren't going to do it "her way". I applaud her for this.

blackthorn
12-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Wifey and I each have a cell phone. Mine (Virgin Mobile) costs $100.00 a year (pre-paid), set up to auto-renew if I use up the $ before the year is up. The thing will do much more than I can make it do! I have it for when I am away from home and REALLY need to call someone. All I know is how to make simple calls--no pictures and no texting! Wifey insists I carry it out in the shop in case I get in trouble of some kind and need help. Useful even if I don't like them!

Harter66
12-12-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm no techno dweeb,but I love my phone. I have maps,gps,ballistic calculaters,web,txt,talk,pics in and out,forums. Honey likes being able to call when I'm gone days at a time on a hunt. W/the latest updates to maps I can now see the satilite maps even when I only have the stand alone gps. Work is painfully slow these day so I can play some solitar or pinochle in the down or make silly self justifing posts like this.

I really only have this phone because I don't have any time to get online at home any more the kids and Honey spend a couple hours every night on line w/home work and secondary business if I didn't have this I wouldn't on this site or shooting PPCB,WDWW in rifles. I wouldn't have the 257 Roberts,35 Whelen projects or the new stockfor the 1908 7x57 Spainish small ring.

Yes I loathe the idea that big brother is tracking me as I type this and some homeland bs data base probably has a catlogue of every gun,car,piece of brass,and pound of lead I've ever posted or searched for info on. But I lied about half of them made up some more cross posted other peoples pix and sell or swap everything about every 18 months ,so what do I care.............errr sorry paranoid rant disreguard.

pdawg_shooter
12-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Technology is here to stay. Some of us use it, some don't.
How many of the people who say they don't like the idea of a smart phone also thought that high speed Internet would never be in their homes?

I have a smart phone as does my 71 year old mother. She keeps in touch with her 5 Frankie's via text message. She is smart eou to know that she needs to communicate the way kids do, the kids aren't going to do it "her way". I applaud her for this.

No high speed internet in my home, or slow speed either. No computer, no cable tv. For what that c*** cost I can shoot a whole bunch more!

DLCTEX
12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
I forgot to mention the free shot timer I have on it. And the guns that my grandson can make shoot with realistic sounds until Grandma gets mad at me.:D

mroliver77
12-12-2011, 10:40 PM
No high speed internet in my home, or slow speed either. No computer, no cable tv. For what that c*** cost I can shoot a whole bunch more!
So how do you hook up with the forum?
J

btroj
12-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Dial up? Does that still exist? I don't have the time to wait for a page to load via dialup.

colt 357
12-13-2011, 12:45 AM
I went back to buy as you go minutes phone. took me 2 month to use the 90 minutes up about 10.00 a month. best past is if I dont want to talk on the phone i just say i got to hang up about out of minutes. or hang up your burning up my minnutes..

pdawg_shooter
12-13-2011, 09:11 AM
So how do you hook up with the forum?
J

From work.

jcwit
12-13-2011, 06:50 PM

WOW! I have High Speed, didn't realize $17.00 a month would make much difference in how much I shoot.

southpaw
12-13-2011, 07:49 PM
WOW! I have High Speed, didn't realize $17.00 a month would make much difference in how much I shoot.

I am gonna take some guesses here since most of these I don't have. Cell phone-$50 a month, cable $50 a month and internet $17 a month ( I will have to check but I am pretty sure that our dsl is more than that) = ~ $117 a month that could be spent on other things. You could get ~ 4000 primers, 100 pounds of lead, ~4000 gas checks, a couple hundred new casings, a new mould... but to each their own. If you do not enjoy those things (cell phone, cable ect.) there is not point wasteing money on them. If you enjoy them then that is great thats what they are there for.

I can't say that spending the extra money on a cell phone, cable ect would make much of a differance in how much I shoot or spend on reloading but it would be a deciding factor in what I eat each month:lol:.

Jerry Jr.

plumberroy
12-13-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't have a smart phone. I want to make calls, have a phone book,and watch and a camera to take pics of fish and dead critters. I am also hard on phones I have a sonim xp3 pro if it doesn't work anytime in the 1st 3years they fix or replace it. No questions asked . I once used it to hold back water when a stem blew out of a stop held it over the opening got a knee on the foot pedal to open the valve to the sink got on the radio for backup to find the overhead valve

canyon-ghost
12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't have a cell phone. Nor do I have any intentions of getting one.

Same here, Southpaw. I have a desktop and e-mail, no long distance. If I don't want to talk to anybody, I find the "off" button and it all goes away. You can call the answering machine but, I probably won't answer anyway. lol.

Artful
12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Well, I now have sprint prepay and like the unlimited everything for 50.00 per month that will decrease every 6 months by $5 until it gets to 35.00 - I wish the network was as good in rural AZ as Verizon but I can live with it.

Lizard333
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
It's the majority of the folks replying just don't get it. That's cool. My iPhone has everything you all could carry in a backpack, mine all fits in my front pocket. I travel a lot for my job and am able to talk to my wife and kids every night face to face. Priceless. For those of us that realize that computers and cell phones are not a fad, these smart phones keep us connected and give us a sense of security should something go wrong.

My wife and I pay 150$ a month for our iPhones. I would pay triple that for them. No question.

Sonnypie
12-14-2011, 07:36 AM
I have a cell phone, but not a high techie kind.
It could be, but I don't buy into all that stuff.
Mine is a Samsung Convoy.
Yep, a refurbished military cell phone. A "tough" phone.
It'll go around 22 days on a charge on stand by.
Being a cardiac patient the wife and Family INSIST I have it.
So I chose to have a veteran phone. It has the longest battery life I could find with the family plan provider. And it was free.
I really couldn't care less about anything else about these new phones.
It's good to call the Grand Daughter at high school to let her know where I'm parked to pick her up. :razz:

"Hi, Sweetheart. I'm out on my walk and dropped dead. Don't wait up for me, OK?"

pdawg_shooter
12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
It's the majority of the folks replying just don't get it. That's cool. My iPhone has everything you all could carry in a backpack, mine all fits in my front pocket. I travel a lot for my job and am able to talk to my wife and kids every night face to face. Priceless. For those of us that realize that computers and cell phones are not a fad, these smart phones keep us connected and give us a sense of security should something go wrong.

My wife and I pay 150$ a month for our iPhones. I would pay triple that for them. No question.

Oh I get it, I just have better things to spend my money on. Like shooting, food, housing, gas to get to work, retirement, medical care, you know, life's unimportant things. $150.00 a month will go a long way towards padding my retirement fund.

Lizard333
12-15-2011, 11:28 PM
I guess to each his own. We all have different priorities and budgets.