PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried ..........

Jack Stanley
02-23-2007, 07:45 PM
I just got to thinking about nose-pour molds . Those I have seen tend to be expensive and it got me to wondering if anyone has ever had a mold cut to be a nose-pour without having the normal double sprue plate ? I'm thinking something like Veral Smith or NEI just cutting the cavity the opposite way . Would or does that work ?

Thanks , Jack

DLCTEX
02-23-2007, 07:51 PM
A flat base would be problematic in removing the boolit from the mold. The base would probably have to be convex to make it work smoothly. That's the only issues I see. DALE:Fire:

Bent Ramrod
02-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Jack,

I have such a cavity in what looks like a set of test blocks, maybe by SAECO (3 cavity mould, 3 different cavities) It looks somewhat like the cavity for Ideal 356402. The problem I would see with manufacture of this type of mould is if you wanted a reasonably small meplat on the nose (and, of course, you have to have a meplat of some size) you would need a cherry with a very thin shank, which would be easily broken. With the swinging top-and-bottom plate design, you can use a regular cherry with the shank the size of the bullet diameter and basically turn the blocks upside down to get the nose pour feature.

floodgate
02-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Jack:

Ideal and Lyman have made a few over the years, the most recent being Paul Matthews' #457676, made as a short run in 2002. It was a long bullet (501 grs.) for the s/c blocks used, leaving the metal under the base very thin, and those who tried it say the bases did not fill out well, probably due to excessive heat loss.

floodgate

Doughty
02-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Don Eagen made them before he died. Probably the winingest mould in CBA matches.

Gussy
02-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I took a pain in the a** Lyman mould and milled the blocks down to the point and made a nose pour out of it, but with 2 plates. It went from PITA to one of my favorites.
Gus