PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters Cannonball?

leadman
12-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Apparrently the folks from the tv show Mythbusters had a cannonball get away from them and go thru someones house.
I would like to see them put this episode on the tube!

starmac
12-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I doubt this episode gets aired. I have only watched this show a couple times, and thought it was a waist of time. I am glad no one was hut, but I still thought it was super funny.

BD
12-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm glad no one was hurt. I caught the news report of the incident. This is another case of a serious mistake by some folks who think they know a lot about everything, but in fact have no practical experience at all and are too proud to consult someone who does.
BD

DLCTEX
12-08-2011, 09:02 PM
The ball went through the house and damaged a mini van. OOPS! Looks as if someone did not consider the chosen firing range very well. Housing addition was not far behind it. And they tell us not to try this at home! Don't worry I won't.

smokemjoe
12-08-2011, 09:07 PM
I think there is a video on GBO site, I have 2 Bowling Ball Mortars, When you get a 18 lb. ball up 200 yds. and travesl 900 yds +, itll make do alot of damage,
The one on the Gunsmoke show is a bomb waiting to blow up if you seen that show. I dont know it was allowed to be showen. - Joe

SciFiJim
12-08-2011, 09:08 PM
They violated rule 4. "Know what your target is and WHAT'S BEHIND IT." I read a news article that it was an errant ricochet. They promised the homeowner that they would not air the episode.

smokemjoe
12-08-2011, 09:09 PM
The ball went through the house and damaged a mini van. OOPS! Looks as if someone did not consider the chosen firing range very well. Housing addition was not far behind it. And they tell us not to try this at home! Don't worry I won't.

DLCTEX: Ill bring dowm one of my bowling ball mortars, if you got a place we can shoot, need 200 yds. to 1200 yds. Like to Borger or Pampa, Thanks- Joe

DLCTEX
12-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I know just the spot. No houses for miles and miles. My grandaughter came from Florida and wanted to know "Where do all the people live around here?" We can use drilling rigs for range markers though.

rockrat
12-09-2011, 12:12 PM
The Gunsmoke cannon should be fine. I have seen alot of bowling ball mortars made with oxygen cylinders, (H cylinders I believe, bit bigger in diameter than standard IIRC). Now, paying $6000 for what he got, hope he had alot of KY as he really got it put to him. Cost less than $1000 to make.

edler7
12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
This is another case of a serious mistake by some folks who think they know a lot about everything, but in fact have no practical experience at all and are too proud to consult someone who does.

That's pretty obvious the first time you watch them doing anything with guns.

Their methods, data and results are pretty suspect IMHO.

Doc_Stihl
12-09-2011, 05:35 PM
I read the article when it came out. From how the officials described it, it was a freak accident.

They had a good backstop with an intended target and it glanced. Left the bomb range, skipped off a roof, bounced of a road, went through a front door, up a stair case out the back wall, off a roof, and impacted through the dash/window of a van.

I'd like to know the diameter/velocity/weight.

enfield
12-09-2011, 05:51 PM
I believe they also tried to duplicate the bullet around a corner trick by spinning when they fire a handgun ,( like in the movies ) stoooooooopid.

ChuckS1
12-09-2011, 07:37 PM
I guess they didn't realize cannonballs will bounce, like a rock will skip on the water. Well, I guess they do now. :)

MtGun44
12-09-2011, 08:51 PM
They have said that this will never air. They are quite embarrassed and since they
are in Kalifornia, near or in San Fran, my guess is that they are scared to death of
lawsuits.

Bill

leadman
12-09-2011, 10:17 PM
I saw the photo of the hole in the side of the house. I'll try to find it later.

TNFrank
12-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Don't know why they shot it in the direction that they did with houses behind the back stop. If they'd have shot it the other way it looks like they'd not have been any houses behind the back stop so it'd not have been a big deal.

lead Foot
12-12-2011, 02:33 AM
It even made the news here in Australia ~ funny as long as no one got hurt.:p

stubshaft
12-12-2011, 03:12 AM
They were at the Alameida County Sheriffs Bomb Range and the cannonball missed the initial target, glanced off of the backstop and went through a house 700 yds away and ended up in a minivan across the street. Luckily no one was hurt, but who would want to live within 1K of a bomb range?

a.squibload
12-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Links to vids of newscasts, one is not high quality but is watchable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-CErr0VOY&feature=g-logo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COCjh_h3JfI&feature=related

starmac
12-12-2011, 05:38 AM
They were at the Alameida County Sheriffs Bomb Range and the cannonball missed the initial target, glanced off of the backstop and went through a house 700 yds away and ended up in a minivan across the street. Luckily no one was hurt, but who would want to live within 1K of a bomb range?

Better question is why would the county sheriffs have a bomb range. lol

starmac
12-12-2011, 05:42 AM
Didn't realize it until I watched the video, my wife was raised in that town.

stubshaft
12-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Better question is why would the county sheriffs have a bomb range. lol

Can't hit anything with a gun!:Fire:

BD
12-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Sounds to me like a cannon ball acting exactly like a cannon ball would be expected to behave. Failing to have any concept of how solid shot behaves before lighting the fuse is the problem.
Backstop? Come on!

BD

GaryN
12-13-2011, 12:26 AM
I saw it on the news and my first thought was "Now anybody who could shoot a cannon there before won't be able to because of a bunch of idiots". And I saw where it was and thought of the lawyers. They must really be stupid. Why didn't they just take a ride out away from the houses?

rockrat
12-13-2011, 12:36 AM
They should have realized that Murphy alway is hanging around and that if one got loose, the houses were not that far away. I would be uncomfortable with them shooting in my direction if they were a mile away.