PDA

View Full Version : Another shooting at Virginia Tech

Jim
12-08-2011, 03:42 PM
THIS JUST IN- (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/08/shots-fired-at-virginia-techs-campus-gunman-sought/?test=latestnews)

Two people, including a police officer, were gunned down on Virginia Tech's campus on Thursday, according to the university.

A Virginia Tech police officer was shot shortly after noon during a traffic stop in the Coliseum parking lot near McComas Hall, a campus gymnasium. The unidentified officer later died.

Witnesses reported to police that the shooter fled on foot toward a parking lot, where a second unidentified victim was found dead.

The whereabouts of the gunman is unknown. The suspect, according to an earlier posting on the school's website, is described as a white male wearing gray sweatpants and a gray hat with a neon green brim.

"Several law enforcement agencies have responded to assist," read a posting on the school's website. "Virginia State Police has been requested to take lead in the investigation."

Messages seeking comment from school officials were not immediately returned.

"There is an active campus alert in Blacksburg," read a notice on the school's website. "Everyone should seek shelter or stay where you are. Blacksburg Transit service is suspended until the alert is lifted."

Paramedics were seen assisting a person on the ground of a campus parking lot, a witness told FOX News.

Brittany Wilson, a student at the school, told Fox News she and other students were remaining indoors.

"It doesn't seem like too much is going on around here," she said. "We're all just staying in, nothing else is really going on downtown."

This is only 30 miles from us.

OBIII
12-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Jim,
Keep your powder dry and weapons handy. Maybe he'll be stupid enough to head your way.
OB

Roundnoser
12-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Now wait one cotton-pickin' minute here!...VT has a "no firearms" policy on campus.

Jim, are you suggesting that a criminal violated the gun policies of VT? What you are suggesting here is that some people don't care about silly policies, and those of us that do abide by them might be completely vulnerable and exposed to violence!

Serioulsy, Its a damn shame those people died at the hands of that killer.

Jim
12-08-2011, 04:54 PM
OB, I don't think ANYBODY is THAT stupid.

bubba.50
12-08-2011, 04:57 PM
i was about 10 miles away at the mall when all the police cars went roarin' by. thought maybe just a wreck as traffic was very heavy at the time. how sad to get home and see it all over the tube and already on the 'net.

dragonrider
12-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Are the campus police officers armed??

1Shirt
12-08-2011, 05:21 PM
It is very unfortunate that the campus has become a place for copycat crime. What little I learned in a few courses in criminology said that there is a high propensity for copycat crime. The best example that I remember was that of bridge jumping suicides. A bridge can be in place for years with no incidents, and then some yo-yo jumps off, and a series of suicides follow. Think that the campus of V Tech may fall into the same catagory. We have had a quick shop here held up about 3 times in the last 3 weeks (and they think it may be the same guy).
It is also unfortunate that if they capture this guy at Tech alive, some liberal judge will probably put him in a mental institution. Or maybe society may be lucky enough to have him commit suicide by cop! Not that I have an opinion!!!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

starmac
12-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I sure don't know any percentages, but I was raised in texas, and things may have changed (probably have) but it was a rare deal that a cop killer was ever captured, in fact I don't remember even one, I am sure there was some though.

I don't believe college or school shootings are copycat crimes, but more so like post office shootings.
They are known weapons free zones, same as the ft hood shootings,or most shootings.
I would be the same way, if for some ungodly reason I wanted to kill a bunch of people.

Jim
12-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Just got finished listening to a press conference on the situation. Based on what was said and reading between the lines, it SOUNDS LIKE the shooter shot himself at a second location.

That was not specifically stated, but the wording of the responses to reporters' questions made it sound that way.

The investigation is still on going at this time and the officers would not answer many questions that were put before them.

OBIII
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Jim, you just can't explain stupid. :bigsmyl2: How can this be a copy-cat killing? Yes, it happened at VA Tech, but it appears that a police officer made a stop, the driver (or passenger) pulled a gun. They fired, the police officer died. The initial story that I heard was that the police officer had also hit the perp when firing. Good for him. It may turn out that the dead body found in the next parking lot was the perp, expired from the police officers round. We will find out as the investigation continues. But copy-cat? Just another Azzhat in the wrong place with the wrong ideas in his head.

Jim
12-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Here's the final story. (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/08/shots-fired-at-virginia-techs-campus-gunman-sought/?test=latestnews)

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-09-2011, 10:00 AM
again.