PDA

View Full Version : Marlin pistol caliber carbines...gone

GRUMPA
12-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Glad I got 1, now it's a search for more.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/12/chris-dumm/r-i-p-marlin-pistol-caliber-carbines/

EDK
12-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Not good news to anybody who spends time on marlinowners.com or other lever action sites....unfortunately not unexpected either.

I bought a 30/30 straight grip carbine to ship for conversion to a Cowboy rifle and got "stall tactics" from MARLIN Customer Service just prior to the sale...so the gun didn't ever get shipped, BUT I scored a 30/30 Cowboy off gunbroker at about half of what they go for now.

A casual friend and co-worker was going to buy my MARLIN 357 Cowboy rifle for his girl friend. He went on a temporary assignment for a couple months and found something else for her. I can't say I'm sorry that he did...it won't eat and will only appreciate in price.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

btroj
12-08-2011, 10:41 PM
I will believe it when I see it on the Marlin website. Too many rumors on the net aout Marlin. I have a hard time knowing what is fact and what is rumor being repeated.
I am not worried at all. marlin will right the ship and keep on making these guns, too much ones to be made.

MT Gianni
12-08-2011, 11:00 PM
I asked a shop owner this week about a marlin 357. He said they are no longer being made and a check of 5 distributors showed none in stock.

MtGun44
12-09-2011, 01:44 AM
I serioiusly doubt this will be permanent.
I understand that they are struggling getting quality up in the new factory. I would bet
that they will soon be producing them again.

Bill

Ziptar
12-09-2011, 07:43 AM
I've heard all sorts of rumors over the last few months. First production was halted for quality issues, then it was halted so they could focus on models with higher demand, then it was production was halted so they could switch over to CNC equipment.

FGI hasn't helped at all by not making any clear public releases of information.

That being said, I believe that post on Truth about Guns is jumping the gun. For whatever known, unknown, or publicly stated reason theres one thing thats been clear over the last few months, new Marlin Production has has been sporadic, poor and then non-existent. Making the leap equating 5 online gun shops not having any pistol caliber Marlins in stock with FGI killing off the pistol caliber product line is a pretty big conclusion to draw.

FGI's take over and move of Marlin has been poorly executed for sure. I find it hard to believe FGI would simply drop a portion of the product line that makes up a large percentage of Marlins sales. While their takeover of Marlin has been poorly implemented and chock full of stupidity as viewed by us on the outside, such a move would be truly "stupid" even for FGI's proven track record of bumbling incompetence and focus on the bottom line.

I'm no happier than anyone else over the entire mess. However, I'm withholding judgment and chalking the demise of the Marlin pistol caliber lever up to just another Internet rumor until I see the 2012 catalog.

Doesn't really matter either way, after this mess I wouldn't by an FGI produced Remlin.

Even if FGI gets themselves sorted out and solve their quality and production problems and still produces a pistol caliber lever rifle. The rifle they make might have the name Marlin stamped on it but, if it's been built in a completely different factory, using completely different methods (CNC machining) instead of those used for 130 years previously, on a "consolidated" assembly line by a new and unskilled labor force, it really isn't the rifle the name was identified with throughout out its history, is it?

Sales of new Remlins might do just fine, there are plenty of people out there who've never owned or handled an original Marlin so they won't be any the wiser.

Luckily there are still lots of great used North Haven produced rifles out there to be had for those of us that will now the difference.

BarryinIN
12-09-2011, 06:41 PM
I can't believe this is permanent or long-term. As far as I've been able to see, the pistol-caliber carbines are big sellers for Marlin. I doubt they sell more of anything, including the .22s. Besides levergun fans, I know people who don't own any other lever actions, but they have an 1894 in .357 or .44. It has been that way since at least the 70s.

I figured the 1894s were a big reason why the Freedom Group bought them.

Pepe Ray
12-09-2011, 07:23 PM
That's all very interesting.
My best bud has been trying to get me to buy his 94CS. Been putting him off cause I've got a stable of Rossi's ,which I prefer. Go figure.
His .357 is like new. But it does have a cross bolt safety and 6 land rifeling. Original box and papers. Told me I could have it for $600.
I'm beginning to think I should buy it and put it up here for $650 plus shipping.
What do you think. A new thread, maybe?
:-P
I'm sorta joking as I don't want it nor the headaches for shipping/etc.
I would like to see him sell it as he can use the cash.
Anyone interested.?
Pepe Ray
P.S. I hope this isn't considered a high jack.

MT Gianni
12-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Pepe Ray, most on Gunbroker are in the mid $500 range.

Ed in North Texas
12-13-2011, 10:39 AM
This is an old story, brought out once again as someone "discovers" it. As for quality breaking down after the move, there have been a few reports on this site (IIRC) of people having quality problems with the CT made rifles over the past couple of years. Did it get worse? Probably, stuff happens when a change like this happens.

I don't buy the idea that there is something special about a Marlin made in CT vs one which might be made on CNC machinery in NY. There will be those who try and make it a collector's issue (in which case my pre-Microgroove Marlins will really be worth something. Nah, never happened - my luck doesn't run that way. And my .35 Rem was refinished - no collector value, but a great shooter.

If there are no Marlins (call them Remlins if you will) by Christmas 2012, then we can bid goodbye to the brand. I don't expect that to happen though. But I've been wrong before - my wife tells me I am all the time.

400short
12-13-2011, 12:41 PM
I've been hearing about the Marlin demise for months now. All kinds of things have been said. What I have not heard of is anyone contacting Remington, urging them in a positive way to get their act together and restart production of this fine old marque. I love my old marlins but times change. If Remington will produce a good product, I will buy it. Remington has been around for a very long time and produce excellent American Made products. I suggest we all encourage them to keep Marlin alive.

400short
12-13-2011, 12:44 PM
AND another thing.....lets not forget that a healthy domestic arms industry is a national security issue....I'll shut up now.

SkookumJeff
12-13-2011, 05:15 PM
I've been hearing about the Marlin demise for months now. All kinds of things have been said. What I have not heard of is anyone contacting Remington, urging them in a positive way to get their act together and restart production of this fine old marque. I love my old marlins but times change. If Remington will produce a good product, I will buy it. Remington has been around for a very long time and produce excellent American Made products. I suggest we all encourage them to keep Marlin alive.

Not true. Go over to the Marlin Owners site and read the posts there. You will have to register to see the Marlin Rant forum threads. Many Marlin folks have contacted Remington pleading with them to get their act together.

omgb
12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
The current crop of Marlins is pretty poor.....lots of customer complaints. I have read too that for the time being (whatever that means) the pistol calibers are gone. The recent article in Rifle sounds like the same crud dished out in Guns and Ammo.....manufacturer's infomercials passing as reporting. Too bad, I like my Marlin .357 and wanted one in 45 Colt too. Oh well.

Four Fingers of Death
12-15-2011, 10:08 AM
The Marlins are hugely popular in the pistol calibres, especially in cowboy shooting. I reckon any cancellations will be temporary. Those thangs are walking out the door!

omgb
12-15-2011, 10:37 AM
I hope you're right Mick...how's the family?

9.3X62AL
12-15-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm not ready (yet) to shovel dirt onto Marlin's coffin, but I'm not about to buy anything of that make until they get their act together.

I'm in better shape than younger/newer hobbyists to the firearms games. I have most of what I want in the safe already. I feel sorry for the newer folks--my daughters and nephews, especially--and hope they are able to buy Marlin leverguns and 22s like I was able to do. If it's all the same to Marlin, bring back the pistol caliber leverguns MINUS the &$@^ button safety.

felix
12-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Brand names mean nothing to me. It's all about smoothness and tolerances. Only one out of 10 guns in my closets are worth a damn. No, I don't even care if it has safeties on them or not. If the gun cannot shoot at my point of aim at the distance selected for the gun type, it's worthless (to me). ... felix

truckboss
12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I saw a couple of .38 .357 on gunsamerica.One had a mr serial #.

fecmech
12-15-2011, 08:42 PM
I was just at a gun shop today ( to pick up my Lipsey's .45 LC SA) and there was a Marlin Glenfield 336 leaning up against the bench. My buddy and I were commenting on how smooth it was and generally well made for a cheapy gun of the time. The dealer then handed me a Remlin 336 that he was sending back to the factory. It had a stiff grating action and you could literally shave with the edges of the lever! The lever, obviously an investment casting(no problem there) that had been simply ground flat on both sides leaving edges that would cut you with enough pressure applied. A couple other minor items, it would not feed or eject according to the dealer. The Glenfield was twice the gun the Remlin was.

skandic
12-16-2011, 12:19 AM
This is a new write up by Brian pierce in the jan issue of rifle magazine #260 The Marlin Firearms Co. moved
operations from New Haven,
Connecticut, to Ilion, New York,
during the fall of 2010. The relo -
cation was intended to help the
company become more efficient,
improve quality and in effect modernize
– all components generally
required for manufacturing companies
to survive in today’s economic
climate.
As expected, there have been some
challenges to get the company up
and running to full (or planned)
capacity. Some of the experienced
employees chose to retire, much
of the tooling was replaced with
more modern and efficient CNC
machinery, which potentially will
yield a better product. Programs
and blueprints had to be rewritten,
as many of the drawings dated back
60-plus years and were not suitable
for CNC tooling. Naturally,
production has been largely scaled
back, which resulted in many of
the cataloged items being temporarily
discontinued. Examples
include most stainless steel leverguns,
all “cowboy” models, the SBL
series and others. These models
will return as soon as production
has the capacity and are not discontinued
on a long-term basis.
highest demand or have
the greatest volume, are
still being manufactured
at this time and as fast
as the plant can produce
them. The X7 Series centerfire
bolt-action rifle is
in production but is now
being manufactured in
Marlin’s Mayfield, Kentucky,
plant.
In visiting the Marlin
New Haven plant not long
before the move, I was
amazed by the old-world
tooling, some literally be -
ing a century old! Nonetheless,
Marlin was building quality forged
receivers, parts and cut-rifled barrels.
Unfortunately, manufacturing
methods were labor intensive
and thus expensive. Some of the
equipment and tooling was in the
process of being updated at that
time by the relatively new owner,
Freedom Group, the same outfit
that owns Remington, Bushmaster
Firearms, DPMS, Dakota Arms
and many others.
Some will criticize moving Marlin
to Ilion, New York, but I would
submit that a large-scale change
was inevitable, or the company
would have eventually become
bankrupt, or at least not profitable.
Today’s manufacturing in-
The most popular variations of
leverguns, autoloading and boltaction
rimfire rifles and the excellent
Model 39A, which are in the
MOSTLY LONG GUNS by Brian Pearce • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
THE STATE OF
MARLIN FIREARMS
Marlin has recently moved
operations from New
Haven, Connecticut, to
Ilion, New York. Production
of low-volume models
has been tempor arily
discontinued, but highly
popular rifles are in full
production. Stainless steel
and “cowboy” versions
will return as production
capacity is increased.
dustry is very competitive, and
CNC tooling is essentially mandatory
for a company to compete
and remain viable.
A rumor came to me in August
2011 in the form of a phone call,
and in effect stated that “The Marlin
Firearms Company had shut
down all production due to quality
issues. And there would not be
any more lever-action rifles built
until they could get quality back
up, which may take months or
even years.” Other rumors have included
discontinuance of all leverguns,
etc.
The above are strictly rumors, as
I immediately placed a phone call
to my Freedom Group media contact,
who assured me that production
was neither shut down nor
were there plans to shut it down.
In response to the rumors that
likewise bounced around the Internet,
Marlin Firearms issued the
following statement: “Thanks to
all our Marlin fans and customers
out there for your questions and
comments today. There seems
to be some incorrect information
floating around, so we wanted to
assure all of you that Marlin is
doing great and continues to produce
lever-action, bolt-action and
rimfire rifle offerings on a daily
basis. We are currently focusing
our production efforts on specific
product offerings to ensure efficiencies
for the immediate future,
based on demand for certain models.
To learn more about Marlin
products, please visit our website:
at www.marlinfirearms.com.”
Marlin will certainly have some
obstacles to overcome, and we as
consumers need to express our
support. However, in the same
breath, we need to let them know
that we still demand and expect
the same quality that Marlin has
offered since 1871. I believe the
company will do just that!

omgb
12-16-2011, 12:43 AM
I read the article several times when the magazine arrived. As I said before, it smells of an infomercial...the type of silly reporting that goes on in G&A and seems hopelessly tied to manufacturers' press releases. Maybe I'm just being too cynical...I don't know. But the story didn't pass the smell test for me. Lets hope I'm wrong.

btroj
12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Looms to me like we just need to wait and see. We can either beleive what we are hearing from Marlin or we can beleive the rumors off the web.
I think Marlin will be back and all will be fine. I don't generally buy into any conspiracy theories or tales of impending doom.

The company as new ownership and is moving to a new plant. Give them a chance to settle in and start production. We owe them the chance to prove the naysayers wrong.

murf205
12-22-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm not ready (yet) to shovel dirt onto Marlin's coffin, but I'm not about to buy anything of that make until they get their act together.

I'm in better shape than younger/newer hobbyists to the firearms games. I have most of what I want in the safe already. I feel sorry for the newer folks--my daughters and nephews, especially--and hope they are able to buy Marlin leverguns and 22s like I was able to do. If it's all the same to Marlin, bring back the pistol caliber leverguns MINUS the &$@^ button safety.

9.3x62AL, I got to ask this question, why does everybody seem to hate the "saftey button" Marlins? I can see the point about having it in "safe" mode when you forget to take it off, but is it the quality of the later guns or the collector thing? I do'nt own one but I do own a S&W 629 with the dreaded lock and I do'nt use the lock. I must say that I heard all the "lock haters" comments before I bought this 44, but its the most accurate 4" 44 I've ever owned--with any boolit you stick in it. Also it will digest the warmer loads without a hitch, something the older pre-lock guns would'nt do, since the introduction of S&W's endurance package. Just curious.
Murf205

btroj
12-22-2011, 09:06 AM
I don't get the anger over the safety either. I don't feel it detracts significantly from the looks of the rifle. I keep mine off at all times so I don't think that is an issue. It doesn't get in the way or detract from the function of the rifle. Nope, I do t get it either.

MGySgt
12-22-2011, 10:25 AM
The saftey has caused me problems at the Range, but never in the field. The only time in the field I use the saftey is when I am loading or unloading the gun.

When it is cold out and you jack a round in the chamber, your hands are cold and your thumb COULD slip off the hammer when letting it down on a live round.

Anytime in the field when I am loading or unloading the gun - I put the saftey on. After the hammer has been lowered I take the saftey off.

Right now with the rifle in the safe the saftey is on.

Just my 2 cents worth!

northmn
12-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Its not really a true safety but a decocking mechanism and I do remember one instance where a person was accidently shot (as it was his wife it was claimed to be an accident:razz: ) by a novice. It can prevent a discharge if ones thumb slips. Mostly the criticism comes from people that are probably more firearm savvy than many of the users. I have never had a problem with mine by leaving it on fire when in the field and using the hammer like the older ones. When unloading I use it but do not miss it on my older Marlin. They used to sell a "saddle ring" that could be fit over the thing that would leave it permanently deactivated. To me its a big ado about nothing.

DP

EDK
12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
I t isn't "much ado about nothing" if the safety is on when something is getting ready to chew on your leg! I like the concept for safe un-loading, but I somehow put it on at a Cowboy Action Shooting competition...ejected a live round or two and then figured out what I'd done. Competition would just leave you looking dumb...out in the field could be a lost animal, painful or fatal injury from something dangerous. You may think it won't happen to you...I did...Murphy's law is alive and well in my world.

One solution is getting a bunch of O-rings that fit on the safety...roll one on and remove as necessary. Another idea is a product I saw in BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE NEWS...a replacement safety that rotates rather than slides crosswise.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

9.3X62AL
12-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Murf--

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but to my mind the supplemental safeties on my leverguns and your S&W wheelgun are superfluous, and a product of liability lawyers that need to find real jobs. I resent being told by courtroom vampires that I need mechanical contrivances to make me "safer". The ONLY true safety on any firearm is behind the eyes and between the ears of its user.

My two Marlin 94s with the safety buttons work and shoot wonderfully, and I ignore that button with unbridled enthusiasm. I tend to ignore most things that annoy me.

The whole thing reminds me of a story I heard concerning John Browning and the U.S. Army Ordnance Department during the adoption of the 45 ACP pistol for the using services. Browning's first version lacked any external safeties, just the disconnecter to prevent unlocked fire. The Ordnance folks liked the idea, but complained about the lack of safeties--stating that as presented the pistol was "dangerous".

Browning stated "Of course it's dangerous, it's a weapon!" Back to the drawing board Browning went, and he designed a pistol including a grip safety--thumb safety locking its cocked hammer--and magazine disconnector. He did this in a fit of pique, largely to throw pie in the face of the Ordnance people.

The Ordnance Board's response--delete the mag disconnect, and we'll accept it. Browning was utterly mystified, but the result was the Series 1911 service autopistol. I guess the rest is history, but the precedent of "more safeties is better" was set over a century ago.

MakeMineA10mm
12-25-2011, 03:48 AM
Hey, at least they didn't close down the plant, make big/grandiose statements about this being the last Winch... I mean Marlins... EVER, jack the prices up, and move production to a right to work state with cheaper labor, but keeping the high prices, and then 2 years later re-open and try to make it sound like they "just couldn't let the name die" so we decided to start back up (as opposed to - this was the plan all along - so we can make more money!)

Remington seems to be being a little more transparent about things than FN was... Similar end result though... Eventually, CNC very-good-quality Marlins from Ilion will come out, but it will take quite some time, and they'll cost more in spite of the boilerplate about needing to do this to cut expensive, old-fashioned manufacturing...

Ole
12-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Picked up an 1894C in .357 Magnum today.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/IMG_5568.jpg

One of my favorite rifles has always been my Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum (in the middle of this photo). It needed a little brother.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/IMG_5567.jpg

Some GP100 smut because I spent 30 seconds hitting it with Hoppes for the other photo:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/IMG_5569.jpg

I've been looking for a used one of these for over 2 years. Haven't been able to find one used and since they might not make them anymore, I figured I'd better pick on up while I had the fundage to do so. :)

I was worried about QC issues with buying a new Marlin, but turns out it is a New Haven, CT gun- I couldn't find anything wrong with it. The action isn't as smooth as my .44 1894. Will it get smoother from using the gun, or will I need to tune it?

If it says New Haven, CT on the barrel, that means it was made in the old plant, correct?

MakeMineA10mm
12-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Ole,
If your barrel is stamped "JM" on the chamber end, you have a real Marlin. If it's stamped "REP" you have a Rem-lin. Most people in the know say that most Remington built guns aren't worth a hoot, and likewise for the last year or so of production at Marlin, when decades-long employees were getting the heave-ho and knew it.

If you take the first two digits of your serial number and subtract them from 100, that will be the year of manufacture. They closed down the New Haven plant in Sept. 2010, so I hope you got a 2009 or newer...

The action should smooth up naturally with use. If you think it needs sped along, there are lots of places to find out how, mostly at cowboy action shooting websites.

machinisttx
12-31-2011, 04:45 AM
9.3x62AL, I got to ask this question, why does everybody seem to hate the "saftey button" Marlins? I can see the point about having it in "safe" mode when you forget to take it off, but is it the quality of the later guns or the collector thing? I do'nt own one but I do own a S&W 629 with the dreaded lock and I do'nt use the lock. I must say that I heard all the "lock haters" comments before I bought this 44, but its the most accurate 4" 44 I've ever owned--with any boolit you stick in it. Also it will digest the warmer loads without a hitch, something the older pre-lock guns would'nt do, since the introduction of S&W's endurance package. Just curious.
Murf205

It's an unnecessary addition that gets in the way. That stupid little safety nearly got my father in law torn up by an angry hog a few years ago. It should have been "off" since he never uses it, but somehow got jostled into the "on" position. Consequently, the rifle would not go bang when that hog charged him. The half cock notch is all the safety those guns need. Unless someone beat on it with a three pound sledgehammer or similar, it's not going to break and allow the rifle to discharge.

S&W lockwork hasn't really changed since the 1890's. The endurance package beefed it up some, but not enough to run a steady diet of fast, heavy bullets. The 29 was engineered for a 240 at 1400 fps. Even with new materials and slightly beefed up lockwork, it still won't handle what a ruger will(not without getting tightened and tuned regularly anyway). BTW, the endurance package upgrades were introduced with the 29-3E in 1987....24 years ago, when they were still pre lock. In the case of the 629, it was in 1989 with the 629-2E, again, still pre lock.

Olevern
12-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Murf205

The endurance package on the model 29 preceeded the lock by many years. The S&W lock (and the Marlin one) is unsightly and unnecessary. It is a statement by manufacturers that I am incompetent to own, operate and store a firearm without rube goldberg devices affixed to my firearms to help me. It is another reminder that the lawyers have way too much influence in my daily life (and btw, almost all politicians are lawyers) and my buying pre add-on Marlins and Smiths as a preference is my small, insignificant means of protest to a litigious society we've become. Besides, I just don't like them, is that enough reason for my making a personal decision to purchase or not purchase?

In addition, I lost an opportunity to take a very nice deer years ago with a Marlin 1895 when the safety somehow was bumped into safe mode and, because of long years of owning and shooting pre safety Marlins, couldn't figure out why the gun wouldn't fire until the opportunity had passed.

So....maybe the real reason is I'm just an old curmudgeon/

Butler Ford
01-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Ed, I really like that rising eagle! ;)

Suo Gan
01-08-2012, 01:31 PM
They sell almost as many in 357 as they do in 30-30. They will get the kinks worked out and this will all be forgotten in a few years.

I have owned many Marlins from the last hundred years of their manufacturing and there are turkeys in there from any era. Thinking that Marlin North Havens were perfect is a misconception. The New Haven guns were much better but even they had problems with QC. I have a 1971 444s in the cabinet with mismatching front and rear stocks, The last 39 I bought had a cracked stock and was so tight that taking it apart and putting it back together was nearly impossible. I have a 25 that the clip will fall out of if you push it forward a little...

The Marlin 94 is not dead guys. And Marlins have never been perfect.

Four Fingers of Death
01-08-2012, 10:48 PM
They sell almost as many in 357 as they do in 30-30. They will get the kinks worked out and this will all be forgotten in a few years.

I have owned many Marlins from the last hundred years of their manufacturing and there are turkeys in there from any era. Thinking that Marlin North Havens were perfect is a misconception. The New Haven guns were much better but even they had problems with QC. I have a 1971 444s in the cabinet with mismatching front and rear stocks, The last 39 I bought had a cracked stock and was so tight that taking it apart and putting it back together was nearly impossible. I have a 25 that the clip will fall out of if you push it forward a little...

The Marlin 94 is not dead guys. And Marlins have never been perfect.

We only remember the good parts a lot of the time. I had a 1975 444 that had mis-matched wood, didn't thik much of it at the time.

btroj
01-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Blasphemy! Haven't you guys read online sites? Everything made in the old plant before 2010 was perfect. How dare you say otherwise!

I am not at all worried. Remington seems to know how to make rifles, I am sure all will be fine. We just need to give them time.

MakeMineA10mm
01-13-2012, 02:02 PM
I agree they will eventually make a good product, but my two concerns are:

1) What will the price be? (Look at what Cerebrus did with Winchester -CNC produced by "operators" at a price much higher (~+50%) than they were sold at from the old, "inefficient" plant.)

2) What options/models will be available? (Again, look to Winchester; only the Mod 70 came back, in limited versions, until another couple years and we've got 94s [& a little suprisingly 92s] again in very limited versions. It will probably be a total of 10+ years before Winchester is close to being back into anything close to the variations available before 2005. Even then, with the accountants in charge, low sales number models may never come back...)

All of this appears to be happening at Marlin, but in a slightly more transparent way. Will Remington make good or even great Marlins some day? I have no doubt. But you may only be able to get a 30-30 336 or a 45-70 Guide Gun for quite awhile... 308ME, 444M, 338ME, are all in danger of never being made again, I'm worried. As far as the 1894, my guess is the 357 and the 44 will return, but no 45LC. I doubt the Cowboy or short-barrel versions will return either. Then, the question becomes, what will they have to charge for them? This shut-down hopefully will be very short. If it turns long, you can bet prices will be higher when they return.

This is what happens when bean-counters take over.

I was talking with a knowledgeable acquaintence about this the other day, and he pointed out similar things happened in the gun industry in the 70s, and eventually after those "whiz kids" learned the lesson, the gun companies came back. His take on things is that that generation who learned you must cater to the customer have retired and a new generation of idealistic types are learning the same lesson again.

In the greater picture, I think this is a great example of how supply-side economics applies primarily to need-based products and not as well to optional "want-based" products. In the firearms industry, you can operate Glock on supply-side theory. A bolt-gun company can operate their 30-06 base-gun line on supply-side. Marlin can operate the 30-30 line so, as well. But if you want to increase sales of different models, you have to pay attention to demand-side. This is what Marlin did with the Guide Gun. They saw custom gunsmiths making LOTS of them, and cashed in by making a factory version. Smart, but that's when Marlin was run by gun people, not accountants...

pdawg_shooter
01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Murf--

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but to my mind the supplemental safeties on my leverguns and your S&W wheelgun are superfluous, and a product of liability lawyers that need to find real jobs. I resent being told by courtroom vampires that I need mechanical contrivances to make me "safer". The ONLY true safety on any firearm is behind the eyes and between the ears of its user.

My two Marlin 94s with the safety buttons work and shoot wonderfully, and I ignore that button with unbridled enthusiasm. I tend to ignore most things that annoy me.

The whole thing reminds me of a story I heard concerning John Browning and the U.S. Army Ordnance Department during the adoption of the 45 ACP pistol for the using services. Browning's first version lacked any external safeties, just the disconnecter to prevent unlocked fire. The Ordnance folks liked the idea, but complained about the lack of safeties--stating that as presented the pistol was "dangerous".

Browning stated "Of course it's dangerous, it's a weapon!" Back to the drawing board Browning went, and he designed a pistol including a grip safety--thumb safety locking its cocked hammer--and magazine disconnector. He did this in a fit of pique, largely to throw pie in the face of the Ordnance people.

The Ordnance Board's response--delete the mag disconnect, and we'll accept it. Browning was utterly mystified, but the result was the Series 1911 service autopistol. I guess the rest is history, but the precedent of "more safeties is better" was set over a century ago.

I also have Marlins with the safety. What I did is put the safety in the off position and slipped a small black o-ring over the button. Not only prevents the safety from getting bumped on but also hides the red paint!

MakeMineA10mm
01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
My newest pistol-caliber Marlin (on bottom in this pic):

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/members/17474-albums48-picture19079.JPG