PDA

View Full Version : New one

hornady
12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
At least to me. I have heard the many reasons for not shooting cast bullets, most are very lame at best. My wife works in the Medical field, a coworker whom is male and shoots was talking to her about shooting. He as well as my wife have PA License to carry a firearm, He was talking about how expensive shooting can be, My wife told him that 90% of the bullets, We shoot are cast. He then stated that he dose not shoot lead bullets because they are corrosive to the barrel. I thought I had heard it all, I told my wife to ask him to explain why a 22LR barrel last as long as they do if this were true.

1Shirt
12-08-2011, 01:14 PM
It is my experiance that you can educate (sometimes) an ignorant person. That said, you can't really do much to educate the stupid!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

runfiverun
12-08-2011, 01:16 PM
show him the green fuzz, in his Bbl, and ask what is that?

Oreo
12-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Well, there's lead in batteries and batteris are acidic so it must be true.

In all fairness, I've seen some of the worst gun myths perpetrated right here on CastBoolits. Read just the other day that bird shot in a 12ga was good for home defense because it won't go through the sheetrock walls in your home.:groner:

stubshaft
12-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Lead gives the barrel cancer!!!

mpmarty
12-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Ask him why the bearings in most plain bearing engines are lead based

odfairfaxsub
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
some people who are smart just never thought to themselves why these asumptions are untrue.

QUESTION EVERYTHING. knowledge is power and god gave us the gift of reason. lead is perfectly fine. we been using it longer than copper and *** nobody this day and age except the smart few stepped into the cast world. even if time is money if one shoots enough save the money and buy proper cast.

bobthenailer
12-09-2011, 08:41 AM
OH NO ! do you meen every hand gun i owen + a few rifles are ruined because ive shot cast through them for the past 40+ years

Janoosh
12-09-2011, 08:54 AM
I guess all the old Pope and Shoyen barrels out there were never used. An article I read stated that most of the damage to 22 rimfire barrels came from bad cleaning procedures. That can probably be said about most milsurp rifles also.
+1 oldfairfaxsub. Knowledge is power. Never stop learning

41 mag fan
12-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Guess I'd better start mine on chemo

ku4hx
12-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Ignorance can be fixed; stupid is forever.

Grandpas50AE
12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
After 40+ years of shooting cast boolits in both rifle and pistol, I guess I live a charmed life since all my barrels are still celan, shiny, and shoot accurately...
I just really don't know where some people get such misconceptions from...really amzing sometimes.

Guesser
12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Known to cause RATS in laboratory cancer; but only in California!!!!!!!!!!

44man
12-09-2011, 11:13 AM
For all of those with cancerous barrels, I am ready to take on the challenge of a cure. Send them to me! :bigsmyl2:

hornady
12-09-2011, 12:04 PM
It is funny how some of this stuff gets started and then taken on blind faith. You would think a reasonable person, especially someone that has been to college would know there is nothing in lead that would be corrosive to a firearm barrel. I know some old Mil-surplus Ammo was loaded with corrosive primers. And some of the older bore cleaners used to remove copper fouling were a little hard on barrels, but this is the first time I have heard this claim for Lead bullets.