PDA

View Full Version : Blankety-blank stinkbugs drivin' me nuts!!

bubba.50
12-08-2011, 01:47 AM
due to the mild fall we've had here in s.w.va. it hasn't been cold enough to kill these rascals. just cold enough to make'em seek a warmer place to hang out(IN MY HOUSE) and they're about to drive me and the cats batty. somebody PLEASE tell me science is gainin' ground on these "illegal aliens".

waksupi
12-08-2011, 02:06 AM
We fortunately don't have them this year. I found that using bug bombs in the cabin got rid of them.

bubba.50
12-08-2011, 10:21 AM
that would be o.k. except for the cats and the fact that i'd hafta set one off at least every other day.

JMtoolman
12-08-2011, 10:43 AM
My local Ace harware store has a one gallon spray for home use that really turns them ti*'s up. I spray several times a year around the outside of the house, it really works well. Seems to kill them for weeks after spraying. The toolman

gnoahhh
12-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I haven't found anything that isn't equally noxious to me and my pets either. Guess another trip to the hardware store is in order to see if anything new is out there.

Proper name for them is "Harlequin Beetle". I prefer "g*damm stink bugs".

waksupi
12-08-2011, 12:14 PM
The stuff I get is pyretherin, which is a flower. Pretty much non-toxic for pets, and keeps a place bug free for months.

Chicken Thief
12-08-2011, 12:44 PM
http://www.getridofstinkbugsnow.com/

Charley
12-08-2011, 03:05 PM
http://www.getridofstinkbugsnow.com/

Yep, it is absolutely 100% guaranteed...that's why his disclaimer...
Disclaimer and Legal Notice

Best efforts have been used to prepare the material presented. The author and publisher however do not warrant the results for the effectiveness of this program and membership. Results vary due to individual efforts and factors. The author and publisher may not be held liable, in any circumstance, for damages or loss, including but not limited to special or incidental cases.

All parts and content of the book are owned and only to be used by Sherman Publishing House. Law prohibits distribution of anything contained within this transferred material without written consent from the author to distribute this exact material. Distribution in any form will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, Internet provider notifications, and civil lawsuits.

By reading this material you agree that you understand what follows is for educational and entertainment purposes only. You also by reading this book agree that you will check, or do already understand, and will abide by all state, federal and local laws, rules, statutes, regulations and community standards in the use of this material. If necessary, you will seek proper legal or professional advice beforehand.

By reading any further you agree that the author of this material shall not be held responsible for any resulting consequences of any actions you may take.

Results can obviously not be guaranteed.

Money back guarantee - If at any time after purchase you conclude this program did not aid in your stink bug situation you can submit to shermanpublishinghouse@gmail.com for a full refund. You must submit 1- 60 days after purchase and must not wait any longer.

I've stated in other posts I'm an entomologist, with an almost 30 year track record in the pest managment industry. This guy's full of it, NOBODY has "deep dark secrets" about pest managment.

Most 'stink bugs' are phototrophic....they're attracted to light. Turn outdoor lights OFF during the season.
Treat the exterior, especially on the south and western exposures with a good residual pesticide. Talstar or Temprid are what I would recommend. Not cheap.
Practice IMP...intregrated pest management. You're going to need to employ multiple strategies during the season. Be sure all cracks and crevices on the exterior of your house are sealed. Check your thresholds, window trim, openings for electric/AC/ ductwork, and SEAL THEM.
Use a vacum cleaner to suck them up on the interior, if there aren't too many. Apply an insecticidal dust to voids and attic spaces. I'd recommend Deltamethrin (DeltaDust). Again, not cheap.
Modify the environment around your house to make it less attractive to breeding populations....talk to your local Ag Extension Service or the equivalent. Different climates, different species, different behavior. Get all the information you can.

If you DO hire a professional they are not all the same. Knowledge, training, equipment and materials aren't cheap. You must be willing to pay for it. You go with the lowest price because you think "They're all the same", you are going to get what you pay for.
Think the difference between a Colt 1911 and a HiPoint. Hell, they're the same... they shoot bullets, right?

Olevern
12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
I feel your pain, we are overun here, too.

375supermag
12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
We have had about three years of really heavy infestations of these despicable creatures here in south central Pennsylvania.

However, this fall we have seen very few...don't know why...maybe it was that heavy snow (8-10") back in October or maybe it is because of the large numbers of ladybugs that have been around this fall.

All I know is I don't miss them and I wouldn't be upset if I never saw another one as long as I live.

Chicken Thief
12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Cat does not like them either:

http://izismile.com/2011/12/08/cat_cant_handle_the_smell_of_a_stink.html

The Dove
12-10-2011, 11:29 AM
I use Tempo SC

The Dove

wv109323
12-10-2011, 12:45 PM
+1 on Tempo. A couple years ago I sprayed the outside of the house. The bugs would land on the outside wall and they were zapped. You could litterally shovel them up. Another spray is called Suspend

Charley
12-10-2011, 02:50 PM
+1 on Tempo. A couple years ago I sprayed the outside of the house. The bugs would land on the outside wall and they were zapped. You could litterally shovel them up. Another spray is called Suspend

Tempo is a great material, but IME the Imidicloprid /Cyfluthrin combination in Temprid is a bit more photostable, and will tend to have a longer residual effect. Suspend (Deltamethrin) will work well also.

Just applying a pesticide and hoping it will solve your problem is probably not going to work, at least not well and for long. Look at the overall situation, determine what changes you need to make to make the terrain/environment around the house more hostile to the critters, and you'll come out ahead.

Blacksmith
12-11-2011, 02:42 AM
My neighbor vacuums them up in a dust buster and feeds them to her chickens.

Blacksmith

jaystuw
12-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Chickens seem to like the bugs,When i visit my mom she shows me how she positions a cup in the chicken feed bag in such a way that the cockroachs that steal the feed get trapped. once they build up to about 30 or 40 she takes out the cup and gives it to the chickens. the chickens go absolutely crazy over the live cockroachs and finish them off in seconds then are angry that there aren't more of them to eat.

MT Gianni
12-12-2011, 11:24 AM
For a cheap spray take a 1/4 pouch of chewing tobaco and let it set in 2 gallons of water for a cople of days. Strain it and spray around the perimiter of the house every 3rd day. Kills em dead.

The Dove
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
For a cheap spray take a 1/4 pouch of chewing tobacco and let it set in 2 gallons of water for a couple of days. Strain it and spray around the perimeter of the house every 3rd day. Kills em dead.

Hey MTG

Good idea but I don't know how cheap that trick is...... Have you bout chewing backer lately??? HAHA

It's higher than ****!!!

The Dove

excess650
12-13-2011, 02:06 PM
We've only had an occasional invader here in south central Pa this year. My cat usually points them out, but won't touch 'em.

Years ago we had the box elder bugs, but they haven't been a problem for about 10 years.

Ladybugs? Not in this neck o' the woods. There seemed to be lots of 'em north and west of here (outside of Carlisle).

Bubba.50, How about keepin' 'em on your side of the Blue Ridge so I won't have to deal with 'em at my place south of Stuart.:bigsmyl2:

Squashing stink bugs causes 'em to give off more odor which attracts more stink bugs. I flush 'em with the other stinky stuff or throw 'em in my stove to burn.

Nicotine is used for insect control in greenhouses.

ss40_70
12-13-2011, 02:19 PM
another good pesticide that isnt overly expensive is sevin , you can dust it or spray it wet is pet safe and is a way to cure them of fleas , also works great on every other crawling vermin you want to get rid of ,

beanflip
12-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Try the blue DAWN dish soap. I know it kills box elder bugs dead. Its really user friendly and doesnt harm kids or pets.

Charley
12-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Nicotine has been used as a pesticide for a couple hundred years. It can be as effective as Pyrethrum, but shares the same drawback... breaks down quickly, with very little resdidual effect.
No need to spend extra money for Dawn detergent, any detergent will kill insects. Buy the cheap stuff for that. All you are doing is lowering the surface tension of the water you are hitting them with, so they drown. Any detergent will do that.
I'm not gonna use Sevin (carbaryl)...Carbamates kill by disrupting nerve impulses, and they work on the enzymes that mammals and arthropods both have in common. I'll use something with a different mode of action.