PDA

View Full Version : RWS Scope Mount

Scrounger
02-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Several years ago I bought an RWS Model 48 Air Rifle with scope. I sold the scope off of it but was unable to remove the mount because some idiot had put it on with a quart of Red Loctite. Heat didn't help and the hex head screws were soon stripped and I ended up drilling them out. I called the company which imported the mounts, Unarex or something like that. They said to send the mount in and they would refurbish it. Yesterday they called to tell me to send them $19.95 so they could return the mount. Oh, by the way, there are no screws, this is an older model mount and the screws we have in stock won't fit it. They said I could buy the screws at a hardware store but I'm real doubtful of finding them at ACE when I don't even know what they are. Probably metric of some kind. I don't resent paying them the money, they earned it, but it is really odd that they don't have screws of the right size available. Contrast that with what BSA Optics did recently. Someone had listed a BSA 2 to 7 Air Rifle scope on EBAY. Nice one, target knobs, parallex, beautiful. Except for a dent in the tube. It didn't look too bad in the picture and Midway sold the scopes for $65, so I figured I could live with the dent for $10. Ended up getting it for $14 with the shipping. That dent looked a lot bigger in real life, so big it distorted the tube so much it wouldn't fit in the rings. So I called BSA and told them exactly what had happened. I didn't expect any warranty service but at what I had in it, it was worth paying for it's repair. They said,"no problem, send it in with $10 to cover return shipping, we'll take care of it." When they returned it, "it" was a brand new in the box scope. I'm glad to see they are as reputable a company as the other scope people.

carpetman
02-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Scrounger---I have the RWS 52 which is the exact action as the model 48---checkered stock is only difference in the two--the actions are marked RWS 48/52. The scope base is not to be removed. I think they were pinged on the inside at the factory. Reason I wanted to remove it was I could not get the needed adjustment from my scope. I called RWS warranty center and the airsmith told me where the gun would be hitting and indeed scope adjustment would not compensate. He said get adjustable mounts----which I did. Got the RWS adjustable mounts---about $50 and problem solved. I put the Leupold 3x-9x compact scope which has EFR(extended focus range)--adjustable objective so you can focus at close range and I don't regret spending a penny on it--great scope. But I keep my Sheridan Blue Streak by my back door and usually that's my go to gun when I shoot a sparrow or starling. In fact just this morning had a starlig trying to take over my martin house and I shot him with the Sheridan. He had a good grip on the railng of the house and hung for about a minute--bled out good and then dropped.

Scrounger
02-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I imagine you really grooved on that... The mount has been removed. I am trying to sell the rifle and the only guy who was interested wanted the mount removed so he could use iron sights. Another one rejected it because the mount screws were frozen, so I had to remove it. I just want to get the mount fixed up so I can sell it too. I just need the screws.

redneckdan
02-23-2007, 06:53 PM
go to yer local fastenal, they'll hook you up.