PDA

View Full Version : Railfans, History Buffs: IMAX film

Maven
12-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I know there are lots of railroad and history buffs here, which is why I wish to recommend the IMAX presentation, "The Rocky Mountain Express" to you. It's about the construction of the [transcontinental] Canadian Pacific Railway eastward across the Rocky Mts., but the real star is restored 4-6-4 #2816. The scenery is absolutely spectacular, but wait till you see and hear! #2816 in action. Here's a link to the site: http://www.stephenlow.com/films/rockymountainexpress/ so you can check it out. Thus far, I think it's only being shown in Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore. I saw it last week in Seattle with my son and think it's the best film of this type that I've ever seen.

Jim
12-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Maven! Hearin' that whistle gave me goose bumps!

My Dad was a train buff and that really brings back some memories.

Maven
12-07-2011, 01:23 PM
You're welcome, Jim! As good as the video and trailer are, seeing and hearing that locomotive on the IMAX screen was an incredible experience. It was about as close to the real thing as possible...without the grime and bouncing around. (Don't ask how I know this!)

hiram1
12-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I welded on the No.4 and the No7.hard work but lots of fun,[there will be blood] No 7.and No4 was in [oooo brother] look at the light as it is comming to you in the first few min of the movie and you will see a flash of light it is my mason ring hanging there i loved it i will do it more to im sure.The two of them live in reader ar.

elk hunter
12-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Maven,

Whats not to like about steam locomotives. I don't even mind the grime and bouncing around too much. I'd like to see the builders plate on #2816 just to know who built it. It appears to have been a freight locomotive during its working career. What a shame there is such a limited showing of the film.

Jim, you're right there is nothing in the world like the sound of a steam whistle.

I've spent a number of summers working on and around steamers and love them. Makes me want it to be spring so I can go get in the cab for a run. If you happened to see the "History Channel", at least I think it was on the History Channel, story last year about Jesse James' gold, part of it was shot at the Railroad that the wife and volunteer for, the "Sumpter Valley RR" near Baker City, Oregon.

Thanks for posting the link.

cdet69
12-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Nothing like a big smoking fossil fuel burning behemoth. I love live steam and can not get enough of it. Let alone any other type of train. They are all great.

Maven
12-09-2011, 01:36 PM
elk hunter, As I told a conductor friend last Sunday, I'd gladly pull a throttle again. However, putting up with the major league a-words that I worked with casts a huge pall over it.

cdet69
12-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Never had a problem with fellow employees, it was the rotating hours that sucked.

felix
12-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Maven, it really is too bad that boiler room folks have that outlook with their jobs as compared to the boiler makers from Purdue. It is true what you said across the board, I do think. Perhaps it's the heat generated differences between groups, don't you think? ... felix