PDA

View Full Version : The Marine who helped my mother

Trey45
12-07-2011, 11:29 AM
My mother just called me from Walmarts parking lot, to tell me she had a flat tire, I was already getting up to put my shoes on to drive out to help her when she told me.

"It's already done! I had the flat out on 17 and had pulled over the shoulder. A young Marine in his DRESS UNIFORM pulled in behind me and took charge! I told him not to get dirty, his uniform looked so nice, he told me his concious wouldn't allow him to just call for help, he insisted on changing my tire and wouldn't take no for an answer. He noticed the spare tire was low and had me follow him to a service station where he filled the spare tire with air and even checked the others! He refused payment of any kind, all I could do was hug him."

Thank you United States Marine Corps for instilling in these brave young men the moral decency to help those who can't help themselves, Thank you MARINES for having the honor so many young people lack.

SharpsShooter
12-07-2011, 11:33 AM
The Few, The Proud...with good reason to be.

Great story !

SS

Harter66
12-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Gotta love the Corps!

Had an uncle and a semi adopted brother in the Corps ,either 1 would go 100 miles out of their way for anybody. When it came to standing their ground,well ya might as well hook a golf cart to Mt Rushmore to bring it home.

mroliver77
12-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I would just bet that his parents had a hand in it also. ;) I am happy that there are young folks that "get it". I always help when I can and instill that into my children. Guess where I learned it?
Tis a good reflection on our Marines though and I am proud of the fellow!
Jay

Jim
12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
You're a good man, son. This ol' man is proud of you!!

bowfin
12-07-2011, 12:26 PM
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

--Ronald Reagan

Recluse
12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
God Bless the Corps and all of our soldiers, sailors and airmen.

They're the best.

:coffee:

MtGun44
12-07-2011, 02:20 PM
My nephew was a Marine. I'm very proud of him.

Bill

45nut
12-07-2011, 02:30 PM
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

--Ronald Reagan

:drinks:

wiljen
12-07-2011, 03:02 PM
My nephew was a Marine. I'm very proud of him.

Bill

IS not was.

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Semper Fi

flint45
12-07-2011, 04:39 PM
thank GOD we have fine young men like that.The Marines are great i know my son is a Marine i am proud of all of them.

wallenba
12-07-2011, 04:54 PM
It was Christmas for me in 1958. I was six, my father was posted at Chambley AFB in France and we were there too (France was in NATO then). Christmas was looking kinda bleak as my mother told it. My dad was TDY at Thule Greenland. At Christmas eve it was two Marine Corp Corporals at our door with gifts for me and my sister. We each got a bicycle. But I was equally impressed with them in their uniforms, I'll never forget that.

bruce drake
12-07-2011, 04:55 PM
The only Ex-Marine is those who have been kicked out with Dishonorable Discharges. They forfeit the right to call themselves Marines.

The rest of us are either Former Marines or Current Marines but we are always still a Marine!

You'll find that a lot of the Good Samaritans you find in the world have a set of Yellow Footprints and a Brown Stetson in their background!

Bruce

P.K.
12-07-2011, 05:31 PM
The only Ex-Marine is those who have been kicked out with Dishonorable Discharges. They forfeit the right to call themselves Marines.

The rest of us are either Former Marines or Current Marines but we are always still a Marine!

You'll find that a lot of the Good Samaritans you find in the world have a set of Yellow Footprints and a Brown Stetson in their background!

Bruce

Or a white line fronted by a "Brown Round" and a pistol belt. ;-)

Dframe
12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Great story. Men of character like this one, built the reputation of the Marines.
Semper Fi!

12-07-2011, 05:46 PM
My son just signed his induction papers, today! I'm very proud of him.

elk hunter
12-07-2011, 07:50 PM
My son just signed his induction papers, today! I'm very proud of him.

As you should be.

Tell him thanks for stepping up.

Proud father of a United States Marine!

fatnhappy
12-07-2011, 07:56 PM
My mother just called me from Walmarts parking lot, to tell me she had a flat tire, I was already getting up to put my shoes on to drive out to help her when she told me.

"It's already done! I had the flat out on 17 and had pulled over the shoulder. A young Marine in his DRESS UNIFORM pulled in behind me and took charge! I told him not to get dirty, his uniform looked so nice, he told me his concious wouldn't allow him to just call for help, he insisted on changing my tire and wouldn't take no for an answer. He noticed the spare tire was low and had me follow him to a service station where he filled the spare tire with air and even checked the others! He refused payment of any kind, all I could do was hug him."

Thank you United States Marine Corps for instilling in these brave young men the moral decency to help those who can't help themselves, Thank you MARINES for having the honor so many young people lack.

Tell your mother to remember that next time she sees Marines collecting Toys for Tots.

Got-R-Did
12-07-2011, 08:30 PM
My neighbor's Son (and my Shooting Buddy) is a Marine JROTC cadet and is becoming a fine representative of the next generation. I am proud to be, if not a mentor, a good friend to him. His big Brother is a Marine and the roots of Pride run deep. We have a great time together at the range. He doesn't know it yet, but I am putting together a kit so we can built an AR15 for his 16th birthday.
God Bless the Marine Corps and all our Service Men and Women!
Got-R-Did.

contender1
12-07-2011, 11:06 PM
While I was Army, I have a huge respect for all branches. But the Marines get the top honors. In my BSA Troop, we currently have 4 "boys" who are in the service. Two of them are Marines. My ex brother-in-law is one of the finest Marines I've ever known.
That Marine is just another example of what the Marines are like in so many ways.

MtGun44
12-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Wiljen,

He was KIA in a firefight in Afghanistan.

Bill

Moonie
12-07-2011, 11:18 PM
My son is a Marine, I found out recently when he decided he would become one. It brought tears to my eyes for you see this young man just turned 21 this past July, but made the decision when he was but 11, the date was 9/11/2001.

I can see my son doing the same as that young Marine, they are men of spectacular character and honor.

DLCTEX
12-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks to all troops and their families for their sacrifice. When I saluted a flag today it was for you.

avogunner
12-08-2011, 08:35 AM
My daughter is State Dept. stationed in SE Asia and she just attended her first Marine Corps Ball. Anywhere even just a few Marines are gathered, they formally celebrate the birthday of the Marine Corps. In this case it was the embassy Marine Security Guard (MSG) Detachment's annual event. Needless to say she had a great time and as far as I'm concerned couldn't have been in better company!

God Bless them all!

USMC retired.

Got-R-Did
12-08-2011, 11:59 AM
MtGunn44. I am sorry for your loss. My little Brother served three tours in Iraq during his Army career, and we are blessed that he returned safely each time.
Got-R-Did.

1Shirt
12-08-2011, 05:31 PM
One of the pictures that I have that I am most proud of is of me standing on the wall at the Marine Corps museum. On the front of that wall in large letters it says, "Once a Marine, always a Marine!" I made an Air Force career out of being a former Marine! The Corps teaches discipline and pride in self, based upon tradition. I know of no other institution that does it as well.
Semper Fi!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

MtGun44
12-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks. If you want, do a search on Capt. Matthew Freeman, USMC. There used
to be some stuff about it on the web. Bronze star. I sure miss that young man,
he was a USNA grad, pilot on ground duty.

Bill

wiljen
12-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Wiljen,

He was KIA in a firefight in Afghanistan.

Bill

My condolences Bill. That certainly qualifies him to be remembered as a Marine. Its just a shame we have to lose great men to prove they were willing be be great.

Bullet Caster
12-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Ohhhhhhhh Rahhhhhh. U.S. Marine Corps; once a Marine, always a Marine. Semper Fi. This story is what makes Marines, Marines. BC

MtGun44
12-09-2011, 01:22 AM
He understood precisely what he was fighting for and chose it. He chose to lead from the
front, and truly relished the warrior brotherhood of the Marine Corps. I am honored to be related
to him, and in awe of him and our other young heroes that go in harms way to keep the fight
off of US soil. I have another young family member still in harm's way overseas and I pray that
he comes home safe one more time, after many deployments to both sandboxes.

The Marine changing the tire was just another, more prosaic example of the fact that Marines
really do believe in honor and doing the right thing, at all times, and when necessary, at
all cost. I am proud of all Marines.

Semper Fidelis, indeed.

Bill

catmandu
12-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Joining was one of the best decisions I ever made, (though I had my doubts when I was on THE Island. )
I'm amazed when I go places with my dad and wear my USMC cap the people we meet. (Dad was an Iwo marine) Marines will walk a mile just to greet another Marine. It makes me happy and proud each time it happens.

I guess thats the best part of 10 Nov, being with Marines.:drinks:

Paul in WNY

tarbe
01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
I am happy that there are young folks that "get it".

Excellent!

I must admit....I probably did not really "get it" when I enlisted in 1976. But four years later I am quite sure I "got it".

Regardless of mindset or rationale at entrance, the Marine Corps has a way of changing folks.

Thank God for the USMC!

Tim

ErikO
01-12-2012, 11:46 AM

Bruce

You forgot the retired Marines. They're at Arlington. They get to finally rest easy.

geargnasher
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
My condolences Bill. That certainly qualifies him to be remembered as a Marine. Its just a shame we have to lose great men to prove they were willing be be great.

Agreed, and my condolences to to you too, Bill.

The Marine who helped Trey45's mother proved his will to be great in an everyday way, with a lugwrench and jack instead of his usual tools of duty. True character is unaffected by circumstances.

Gear

9.3X62AL
01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
God bless that fine Marine--and all of his brother and sister service members. I live in a Navy town, and having service members and retirees in significant numbers in one's community is very comforting. It just feels right to me.

44man
01-13-2012, 01:10 PM
I was Army, both daughters were Marines.
Never do wrong, respect the service and your country.
No better on earth then our service men and women.