PDA

View Full Version : The Best Size Ball for an Old Plains Rifle

grullaguy
12-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I took an original plains rifle of mine to a fellow who collects and restores guns. I wanted to know if I could bring it back to shooting condition.
After looking down the bore, the verdict was "highly likely".

Now I need to select the right size ball to shoot in the rifle. It has what appears to be, a six sided bore with the grooves measuring .466" and the lands measuring .450". The grooves are situated in the corners of the six sides. I will be working for some time to remove rust and pitting, so a thicker patch material will probably be necessary.

Does Lee have a ball that would fit well when patched?
I see .445", 451", .454" and .456" listed.

I think one of these should work and if not there is always Jeff Tanner custom moulds.

What do you think would be the optimum size ball for this bore?

Thank you

excess650
12-06-2011, 07:00 PM
I would expect .433" or .440" to be better choices than the larger ones. Thicker patches will compress easier than lead, and are less likey torn by sharp or rough edges. Pillow ticking is usually avialable in (2) different thicknesses, typically .015" and .018". Cotton duck/canvas/drill cloth may be thicker at .022"-.025" and some denim runs over .030". Use all cotton and washed multiple times to remove sizing.

Pigslayer
12-06-2011, 07:34 PM
I took an original plains rifle of mine to a fellow who collects and restores guns. I wanted to know if I could bring it back to shooting condition.
After looking down the bore, the verdict was "highly likely".

Now I need to select the right size ball to shoot in the rifle. It has what appears to be, a six sided bore with the grooves measuring .466" and the lands measuring .450". The grooves are situated in the corners of the six sides. I will be working for some time to remove rust and pitting, so a thicker patch material will probably be necessary.

Does Lee have a ball that would fit well when patched?
I see .445", 451", .454" and .456" listed.

I think one of these should work and if not there is always Jeff Tanner custom moulds.

What do you think would be the optimum size ball for this bore?

Thank you
.440 ball w/.010 patch. Maybe an .015 patch.