PDA

View Full Version : New to ML shotguns

Sixgun Symphony
12-06-2011, 12:16 PM
I am not counting my 20ga Howdah pistol here. But I recently purchased a Pedersoli 12 gauge double barrel percussion shotgun.

As I understand the the book "The Complete Blackpowder Handbook", I should just use volume for volume of BP and shot? I suppose I will start out with 1 oz loads.

waksupi
12-06-2011, 12:27 PM
It's a sticky at the top of this forum section.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=2605

Crawdaddy
12-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Yep, that is a good place to start. I have a CVA that I took dove hunting this year. I had a blast with it. it was prone to misfires so I need to change powders or convert it to 209.

I used 90 grains of both, worked like a charm.

I have a whole bag of 12 gauge wads I cannot use. I had to go to 14 I believe. If you measure your bore and they will work for you, let me know and i will send them to you.

Newtire
12-06-2011, 11:55 PM
As Waksupi says, look at the V.M. Starr article. Believe it about using a flat card under the shot. Some will say they have no luck using a plastic wad but I use 2 card wads and a cut off shot cup and a card on top of the shot. I get no plastic streaks. Loads of fun!

Moose Owner
12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
It is always good to have another muzzle-loading shotgunner. A one ounce load with an equal volume of black powder is a great place to start. I shoot both trap and skeet with that load in my Pedersoli.

I had posted some videos on YouTube of people loading their m/l shotguns at a recent shoot. You might check out the videos just to see how other people load their guns. The first video is at http://youtu.be/ju_INzxapWM I think there are seven clips in all.

Sixgun Symphony
12-08-2011, 05:44 PM
How many grains volume powder is in 1oz?

Moose Owner
12-08-2011, 06:52 PM
How many grains volume powder is in 1oz?

On a volume for volume basis, one ounce of shot is equal to 68 grains (2 1/2 drams) of black powder. The substitutes are a little less dense. An equivalent volume of pyrodex would weigh about 46 grains.

There are tables for this information at: http://www.muzzleloadingshotguns.com/home/reference

Flinchrock
12-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Yep, that is a good place to start. I have a CVA that I took dove hunting this year. I had a blast with it. it was prone to misfires so I need to change powders or convert it to 209.

I used 90 grains of both, worked like a charm.

I have a whole bag of 12 gauge wads I cannot use. I had to go to 14 I believe. If you measure your bore and they will work for you, let me know and i will send them to you.

Mine measures .732 If you can't use them....

TCLouis
12-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Crawdaddy

Use black powder . . . REAL BP the you can use regular nipples.

Newtire
12-10-2011, 04:52 PM
When loading that double, remember which barrel you put the powder into! If I am loading both barrels, I always say, "If I load this right, I will have one barrel left". I just load the one on "My" right first.

Us old guys with bad CRS have to do something. Also, put a wad in right after you drop the powder.

twotoescharlie
12-10-2011, 06:24 PM
less powder, more shot, works for me.

TTC

Crawdaddy
12-10-2011, 06:37 PM
When loading that double, remember which barrel you put the powder into! If I am loading both barrels, I always say, "If I load this right, I will have one barrel left". I just load the one on "My" right first.

Us old guys with bad CRS have to do something. Also, put a wad in right after you drop the powder.

For sure, nothing like two loads of powder in one side and two loads of shot in the other. Or two loads of both in a barrel.

Crawdaddy
12-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Crawdaddy

Use black powder . . . REAL BP the you can use regular nipples.

I'll have to give it a try some time

Crawdaddy
12-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Mine measures .732 If you can't use them....

A day too late. I gave them to a guy at the range.. Sorry. They would have fit perfectly too. :(

Newtire
12-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Moving to Idaho in a couple of months come he** or high water so will be able to get the holy black much easier than in Kalifornistan. I have a time lighting off the Pyrodex RS sometimes with any kind of cap-magnum or not. The nipple seems to get plugged up or something or maybe just erosion. I have reliable ignition as long as I take the time to get all the oil out of the barrell and take the nipples out and clean them out but sometimes evem tjat doesn't work. Time for some new nipples.

I found the best place to get wads (and alot of other stuff for that matter) is Track or the Wolf. Their prices are unbeatable and shipping is sensible and reasonable.

Going up to shoot clays tomorrow with 2-newbies to shooting. Gonna bring my 10 gauge Winchester 1901 loaded light, a .410, a 20 gauge. My father-in-law ( a recent convert) and brother -in-law and nephew are going. We aim to baptize the bro-in-law and nephew. A black powder shotgun experience has never failed!

PatMarlin
12-11-2011, 10:50 PM
I really like the Starr method. Just need the right sized diameter punch and some cardboard. All my BP shotguns do well with it. Something about BP smooth bores. I just love em'.

waksupi
12-12-2011, 01:50 AM
Like any other gun, you will need to work up a load. I shoot more shot by volume than powder, but that is something you need to pattern from your own gun to see what load is best. DO NOT increase the powder charge. That blows patterns all to hell.