PDA

View Full Version : Board game for my mother

crabo
12-06-2011, 08:58 AM
My mother is 86, almost blind and is slowly losing it. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good board game I could play with her. I need something fairly simple, with big, easy to read parts.

I would also like any ideas for activities, other than going out to eat. She is not very mobile, but can move around on her own, even though she has started falling.

Thanks,

shaggist
12-06-2011, 09:12 AM
You might try RUMMY CUBE. The tiles are large, with large numbers, and the game itself is simple. It fun, depends mostly on luck, and the combinations are very simple. It's all I can think of right off the bat.

scrapcan
12-06-2011, 11:48 AM
How about dominoes. You can get large size tiles or colored or whatever will work. I tis a simple game and can be as easy or as hard as one might want to make it.

EMC45
12-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Mankala. Offers tactile feedback and is a good easy paced game.

Mk42gunner
12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
I haven't played a board game in ages, but what about checkers?

Robert

runfiverun
12-06-2011, 06:39 PM
UNO cards are easy to read and can be a fun game, even with kids.
it's not overly fast paced or complicated and the rules can be modified.

Bad Water Bill
12-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I haven't played a board game in ages, but what about checkers?

Robert

I was thinking the same thing. Paint the checkers in what ever color is easiest on HER eyes.

The rules are simple enough and I guess you can make them easier yourself as the memory fails.

mroliver77
12-06-2011, 10:12 PM
We have a seniors game night at church once a month. We played checkers and I had a blast! I did not realize that there actually are many rules and different games that can be played. Using the brain is good for older folks! I agree with the Uno suggestion. It is a fun game with big font on the cards. Import a couple kids if you don't have any. They are good for oldsters to be around! We had a computer version of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Mom really liked to play them!

My compliments to you on taking care of her. Too many lock their parents away in a home as they "get in the way". I do understand it is necessary for some but many could be cared for by a family that tried.

My Ma stayed at home till the last month that was spent in a hospital. i CLEANED SOME ACCIDENTS AND DID SOME DISHES, LAUNDRY AND RUNNING VACUME FOR HER WHEN NEEDED.I sure do miss her!
J