PDA

View Full Version : 38-40 BP Seater Die

brudford
12-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Been casting my own 38-40 bullets from a good quality Lyman mold . Starline brass and 2F BP . Shooting all in a Uberti Low Wall 38-40 rifle . Accuracy has been ok . However always trying to tweak for better accuracy I noted that my driving band is not equal at the top and bottom once the bullet is seated in the brass . Checked my brass and it was all true . The bullets and the driving band all cast square . I'am using a Lee bullet seating die . The only thing I can figure is that the Lee seating die is just seating the bullet on a angle or crooked ? Any thoughts on Redding's Competition Seating dies ? Their pricey at 75.00$ for just one die ,but they state their die will seat a bullet perfectly straight . Thanks .

cdet69
12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I have the redding seater die you are talking about. You might have a problem with cast bullets as they are made for jacketed bullets. The seating chamber is usualy only 1/100 larger than the caliber of bullet that is supposed to be used. You might want to try an rcbs cowboy die instead. They were made just for cast bullets.

sabbatus
12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
check to make sure that your die is clean, once in a while some lube can migrate in there causing issues. If that isnt the case than the seat stem is probably not matching your bullet nose well.

Don McDowell
12-05-2011, 06:44 PM
I've had that problem with lee dies in the 38-40 and 40-65, the threads that hold the seating stem in place are too coarse and loose fitting. If you watch the plug on top of the die as you seat the bullet you can actually see it move up and down.
Went to Hornady dies for the 38-40 and lyman for the 40-65, things improoved greatly.

August
12-10-2011, 12:42 AM
I have tried several (RCBS, Lee, Redding) dies in this caliber. The best, and one I'm currently using, is the Hornady.

brudford
12-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Have the redding seater die you are talking about. You might have a problem with cast bullets as they are made for jacketed bullets. Thanks for the reply cdet69 . I'am really surprised that Redding makes their 38-40 dies for a jacketed bullet . I would think there would be no market for this . Most of the 38-40 reloading is done for pistol cowboy action shooting . And these guys are all using lead bullets . I have seen very few jacketed bullets even for sale in the 38-40 . I think I will call Redding and ask them . Thanks again .

Don McDowell
12-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Any of the jacketed bullets for the 40/10mm are the proper diameter for the 38wcf, just need to find the ones with a cannelure for the crimp.

brudford
12-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Don , You are correct the 40/10 mm bullets are the same diameter as the 38-40 . However they are pistol bullets . Remember the 38-40 is a rifle cartridge, a necked down 44-40 cartridge brought out in 1876 for use in Winchesters 1874 lever action rifles . It was almost 10 years later until I believe Colt chambered the 38-40 for one of their pistols . I have tried those 40/10mm bullets in my 1885 Low Wall and performace is terrible . I cast with an orignal Lyman 38-40 rifle mould and need a seating die that can seat the bullet straight . As for a cannelure and a crimp neither is needed for a black powder cast bullet reload unless you are reloading for a lever action rifle where you would only need to crimp to keep the bullets from moving foward , the black powder will keep the bullet from sliding inward . Ok I'am going to say it , I think Lee Dies are JUNK ! I feel that RCBS , Hornaday , Lyman dies are just a step-up from the Lee dies . Redding and Forster are the best , should be for a 85.00 $ seating competition die . I guess if the Redding 38-40 seater dies is only for jacketed bullets I'am going to have to live with slanted seated bullets . Thanks for the replies .

Don McDowell
12-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Brudford, it was the model 1873 rifle , and the date of introduction was sometime after 1878/79 as it's not listed in the 1878/79 Winchester catalog.
Cannelures on the bullet came well into the smokeless powder era. Prior to that there was not cnnelure on bp loaded ammo and smokeless ammo used the cannelure on the case to keep the bullet from slipping back into the case.
I'ld hazard a guess that the bore of your 1885 is more the culprit than the jacketed bullets. The modern handgun bullets with the possible exception of the JHP designs are more than capable of handling the velocity of the 38wcf from what ever arm its fired from. The softpoint trunicated nose bullets have been reported by folks to work like a champ in both rifle and handgun 38wcf loads.
I prefer the RCBS 180 gr bullet cast from 20-1 in the 38-40, and the Hornady dies that I use are just fantastic and can see no reason to go other brands.

missionary5155
12-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Good morning
With your seating process try seating the boolit about half way then rotate the case 180 degrees and finishing the seating.
Check to be sure your boolit is not too small for the throat. I also shoot 38-40 and have found the light boolits lack the mass to bump up very much even when cast from 40-1.
Mike in Peru