PDA

View Full Version : Aparently washing brass in the diswasher is Forbiden in my house

reloading noob
12-04-2011, 02:20 PM
After reading some info on the net I decided to throw some brass in the dishwasher. All was good, I was just about to take it out and dry it in the oven when my wife walked in. Well lets just say it didn't go over to well. I didn't realize that in 10 years of marriage that I had never loaded the dishwasher or put the dishes up after they were done. I also didn't know that I had never taken the clothes out of the dryer but I am now quick to run in there to get the dryer sheet out. Never thought about waxing her car, but I did take her bottle of Nu Finish to mix into my tumbler. And then she explained to me how lazy I am and that she was glad to hear that I walked around the range picking up brass this morning. How it was good cardio, good for my back from bending over so much. And that she was glad I took my son so he could help. Cause of course he needs his exercise too. I wonder if I should tell her that the brass was already in buckets and all we did was shoot around 200 rounds and then went to Mcdonalds for grease burgers???????????

RKJ
12-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I wonder if I should tell her that the brass was already in buckets and all we did was shoot around 200 rounds and then went to Mcdonalds for grease burgers???????????

Probably not. :)

frkelly74
12-04-2011, 02:54 PM
definitely not

Mooseman
12-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Noob...I would say your Mancard is SAFE !!! [smilie=l:

jcwit
12-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Being as brass is contaminated with lead , cleaning it in the dishwasher that also cleans the dishes you eat from seems to me to not be a wise thing to do partially being as the rest of your family also eats from these dishes.

DLCTEX
12-04-2011, 03:22 PM
I think that any risk of lead contamination from cleaning brass in the dishwasher is so minimal as to be not worth worrying about. The PC people have us so lead paranoid we have left reason behind. Just my dos centavos.

jcwit
12-04-2011, 03:46 PM
While I agree about the frenzy regarding lead and its effects assuming one can clean brass in a dishwasher or a cloths washer for that matter without doing any test as to whether it is safe or not for themselves or the rest of the family is more than a little foolish. Just saying "I think" with no actual knowledge about it whether it is safe or not leaves alittle to be desired.

This especially applies to the youngsters in the family.

But then its your kids and your family.

Echo
12-04-2011, 04:13 PM
+1, DLCTEX. I THINK the worst thing that could happen with brass in the DW is residual boolit loob fouling the place, but with the temperature and detergent present, even the likelihood of that is remote. But then I have noticed that I'm not quite so anal as many other folks.

jcwit
12-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Well why don't those of you who "think" or are not "anal" do a test after cleaning brass in the washer. Then we all would for positive without all the assumptions.

Facts are what matter when it comes to ones family's health, I would "think".

fatnhappy
12-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I wonder if I should tell her that the brass was already in buckets and all we did was shoot around 200 rounds and then went to Mcdonalds for grease burgers???????????

How old is your son? If he doesn't already understand the "man code" you're done like dinner.

reloading noob
12-04-2011, 04:45 PM
he is 8 and is very easily bought, by me only.

Ickisrulz
12-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I've seen lead leech out of a single new brass fixture at a child care facilty and break that standard for water quality.

I wouldn't count on the dishwasher rinsing all the lead out by itself during the cleaning cycle.

If I had this mistake I'd wipe the washer out with paper towels and 409 and then run it a couple times to be sure. And then never do it again. I have two small children.

starmac
12-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I reckon it is a miracle that people have never been on the endangered species list.
How would washing brass compare to living on a diet of squirrels, quail, grouse,fowl, everything that had hot lead bb's penetrating the meat. For that matter every bit of meat that our ancestors had to eat was shot with lead.

edler7
12-04-2011, 05:59 PM
If you think a little brass in the dishwasher was a big hit, wait till she finds you cooking bullet lube on the stove. Be sure to use her best pan for added effect.

Tom-ADC
12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Years ago I'd put my AA Winchester hulls in a laundry bag and toss them in the washer, wife made me promise not to do it again of course I always forgot and did it again. You couldn't do this with paper base hulls.

skeettx
12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
REMEMBER lead is a reproductive hazard and if you keep using the dish washer,
there will be no possible harm.
NO SEX AT ALL

he he he

Mike

GaryN
12-04-2011, 06:20 PM
I remember using mercury in grade school from broken thermometers to turn pennies silver. Now if you break a compact fluorescent bulb you're supposed to call hazmat. I think just using common sense and forgetting the rest is the best way to handle lead.

Ickisrulz
12-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Everytime lead handling safety comes up someone tells us all "how they used to..." I also heard it a million times when I did occupational health evaluations of workplaces while I was in the AF.

Being a little careful doesn't hurt anything regardless of how things were handled back in the day.

Not washing brass in the washing machine or dishwasher is a pretty easy precaution. Why take any chances with your family? Suppose lead ingestion might lower your kid's IQ 1 point? Is that acceptable? Would you still wash your cases in the family dishwasher?

They make tumblers for cleaning brass that sell for less than $75.

jcwit
12-04-2011, 07:18 PM
I reckon it is a miracle that people have never been on the endangered species list.
How would washing brass compare to living on a diet of squirrels, quail, grouse,fowl, everything that had hot lead bb's penetrating the meat. For that matter every bit of meat that our ancestors had to eat was shot with lead.

Huge difference between lead in the metal form and the lead compounds found in primer dust, this being a forum devoted to casting the members here of all people should realize this and have enough common sense to admit/accept it.

Also our ancestors only lived to thew ripe old age of 40 , on the avg, but I doubt lead had anything to do with it unless they lived in/near the lead mines in Mo.

I remember using mercury in grade school from broken thermometers to turn pennies silver. Now if you break a compact fluorescent bulb you're supposed to call hazmat. I think just using common sense and forgetting the rest is the best way to handle lead.

As do I, but does that mean it was the smartest thing to do. We used not to have seat belts in cars also, and its a fact they save lives. Think handling mercury is safe? Explane that to all the gold miners who used mercury to get the fines out of the sand then tried heating the mercury off. No wait, you can't, they're dead.

All I hear so far is the nasayers saying "ITHINK", still no testing, no facts, and little thinking for that matter.

btroj
12-04-2011, 07:36 PM
I would never put brass or lead anywhere near something I eat from. Chances may be small but why take even a small chance?
Common sense says to keep lead put of the kitchen. Don't know about you guys but I take my reloading very seriously and safety even more so.
Just because ou haven't been poisoned yet doesn't mean it can't happen. And are you sure ou haven't gotten lead into your system? If you have kids in the house it is even worse.

There are so many good ways to clean brass, why the heck pit it in the dishwasher?

montana_charlie
12-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Everybody may 'think' one thing or another, but there is one thing I know.

I would not be pleased to find my wife using my favorite electric drill to woggle out the holes in her castiron skillet handles so she could hang them on the pot rack.
Neither would I be thrilled to see her using my special hunting knife to chop up a chicken on a granite countertop.

I happen to help my wife load and unload the dishwasher, and I also lend a hand in the laundry room.
But if she says keep your ammo out of the dishwasher ... or don't clean used wiping patches in the washing machine ... I WILL bow to her wishes.

I may have bought those appliances, but I gave them to her. As such, she gets to make the rules about how they're used.

Anybody who is too much of a 'real man' to allow that is fooling himself.

CM

reloading noob
12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Yall are taking this way too serious.......................

Baron von Trollwhack
12-04-2011, 08:15 PM
The OFFICIAL Centers for Disease Control, US GOOBERMINT position is that there is no LEAD hazard to those eating hunter killed meat harvested with lead shot or bullets. Call them in Atlanta if you don't believe this. Their info desk will refer you to the study.

Personally having grown up with lead used in household plumbing, I think that if the kids don't eat the 1890s leaded paint off the baseboards in your house, or lick the solder joints on the old water heater plumbing for breakfast, or chew the plastic off the dishwaser racks on a routine basis, you have nothing to fear except liberals themselves. They are generally poisonous to reality in matters of fearsome warnings to ABIDE under penalty of law. .

If the dishwasher leaves your freshly washed dishes, formerly garbage class cruddy dishes, clean and sanitary as GE says, what is more clean and sanitary than that?

How about that funky barebeque grill of porus cast iron that has been fermenting in the sun for a week, before you scrub it with that funky brush you keep out there, or better yet the funky smoke coming off the drip shield down there? Thats something to worry about, at my house, because I wash those things in the dishwasher.

BvT

jcwit
12-04-2011, 08:19 PM

So taking health issues is not serious? No wonder we're getting the responses we are.

btroj
12-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Charlie was dead on. It isn't a matter of being a "real man" as much as it is a matter of respect.

I respect my wife enough to keep my reloading stuff out of her kitchen. This doesn't make me a girly man, it makes me a decent husband.

Only thing I am taking overly seriously is having a decent marriage. Maybe that is why I am approaching 25 years of it.

reloading noob
12-04-2011, 08:30 PM
so now I am a bad husband?

1911sw45
12-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I am almost certain reloading noob was joking.

reloading noob
12-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I am almost certain reloading noob was joking.

we have a winner !!!!!!!!

1911sw45
12-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I clean my rifles on the kitchen table and also my hand guns, as my father did when I grew up. So I must be a bad husband too, don't care for my kids. That is BS! Myself and my family are just fine. I have no lead levels in my system. I even ate lead as a kid. I am fine and again no lead levels in my blood. People can't see they are trying to get lead banded for one reason only it's because of firearms.

Adam

reloading noob
12-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Very well put Adam

rtracy2001
12-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Just a couple thoughts.

what is one of the best means to decontaminate an item that has been exposed to lead? Washing it, the hotter the better, and lost of soap and rinsing.

What is one of the biggest sources of lead contamination still found today? Plastics, like the ones used in lining of dishwashers.

Now that said, a likely experiment would be to get some lead test strips and wipe out the inside of a dishwasher to check the lead levels before washing brass (bet you find some), then wash a load and test again. See what the difference is.

As for me, it seems like a lot of trouble to construct a cage to hold the brass and keep it out of the washing arms while still allowing good acces so the brass gets cleaned. If I were going to that trouble, I would buy a used machine to keep in the garage. The machine the wife and I use now cost $30 at a yard sale.

jcwit
12-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I clean my rifles on the kitchen table and also my hand guns, as my father did when I grew up. So I must be a bad husband too, don't care for my kids. That is BS! Myself and my family are just fine. I have no lead levels in my system. I even ate lead as a kid. I am fine and again no lead levels in my blood. People can't see they are trying to get lead banded for one reason only it's because of firearms.

Adam

Please reread post #19 again.

There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between lead in the metal form as in pellets, fishing sinkers 'that we all pinched shut with our teeth' bullets, ect., ect. and the easily absorbed lead compounds fount in the residue from priming dust.

Why else would indoor ranges go to all the expense for air exchangers, it s not for the powder smoke guys.

Don't belive me, go lick the floor at your local indoor range and a week later get your levels tested.

We're still in the "I Think" attidude with no facts or tests.

But as I said once before, its you and your familys health, wish you the best.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

jcwit
12-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Adam, question, when was the last time you had your levels tested, and how often do you have your levels tested a year? Also what are the numbers?

Ickisrulz
12-04-2011, 08:52 PM
People can't see they are trying to get lead banded for one reason only it's because of firearms.

Adam

No, because it's bad for you to ingest. Especially bad for the development of children. It has been proven. This is why it has been removed from places where kids can ingest it.

oneokie
12-04-2011, 08:54 PM

Marital harmony and marital discord need to be taken seriously.:-D

jcwit
12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Marital harmony and marital discord need to be taken seriously.:-D

Absolutely! But I don't know this from experience but if always heard not doing so can be VERY expensive.

Only been married twice, the second time was to renew my vowes to my one and only wife, and I'm 68 years happy, seriously hope shes as happy as I am.

1911sw45
12-04-2011, 09:13 PM
jcwit, less than 3 months ago on the blood test. This was my first blood test for lead. I am almost 37 years old. The level in my blood was 0. My IQ is 146 to cover that too. I ate lead when I was a kid as far back as a I can remember and that is about age 4. I ate it not just had it in my mouth. I chewed it to pieces and swallowed it. The lead I ate was split shot, and .22 LR boolits. I know it had to be over a pound of lead that I ate. As of May of 2008, I was a tire tech. I have breathed the dust off of the lead wheel weights. Yes they was lead and unpainted because I was the one that ordered the weights for my company. I did not wash my hand before I put and dip in or take it out after handling hundreds of weights a day.

Ickisrulz, lots of things have been proved to be bad for you. But there also have been alot of things proven that was proven to harmful that is not. Say it bad for kids, is one of their favorite ways to get any thing done. It has been a very long time that this government has been against the People having firearms. What better way is to start small and pull at the heart strings of the people with kids. This is and ongoing thing. Since lead is needed for ammunition that is the best way for them to band gun with out banding them when you can't shoot them.

Adam

Ickisrulz
12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
jcwit, less than 3 months ago on the blood test. This was my first blood test for lead. I am almost 37 years old. The level in my blood was 0. My IQ is 146 to cover that too. I ate lead when I was a kid as far back as a I can remember and that is about age 4. I ate it not just had it in my mouth. I chewed it to pieces and swallowed it. The lead I ate was split shot, and .22 LR boolits. I know it had to be over a pound of lead that I ate. As of May of 2008, I was a tire tech. I have breathed the dust off of the lead wheel weights. Yes they was lead and unpainted because I was the one that ordered the weights for my company. I did not wash my hand before I put and dip in or take it out after handling hundreds of weights a day.

Ickisrulz, lots of things have been proved to be bad for you. But there also have been alot of things proven that was proven to harmful that is not. Say it bad for kids, is one of their favorite ways to get any thing done. It has been a very long time that this government has been against the People having firearms. What better way is to start small and pull at the heart strings of the people with kids. This is and ongoing thing. Since lead is needed for ammunition that is the best way for them to band gun with out banding them when you can't shoot them.

Adam

Not everyone handles the intake of toxins the same. Only 25% of male heavy smokers develop lung cancer. Doesn't mean it's good for anyone.

The government started banning lead products back in the 1970's. It sure has been a long progression to eliminate firearms. I don't doubt they are after them and may use a lead ban as an end run--but I doubt they planned it 40 years ago.

jcwit
12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
You have "O" for a lead blood level, I find that very questionable if even possible. Whats with the IQ, so mine is 145, always thought that was why I spent my service career at the Pentagon instead of the jungle.

And with your work history I believe I'd get a second opinion regarding lead levels.
Remember lead is an element we all have in our system, "O" reading or not.

I smell something fishy here.

reloading noob
12-04-2011, 09:30 PM
I am really regretting starting this...................

jcwit
12-04-2011, 09:35 PM
BTW the normal leavels for adults and children are:

Adults-----20 micrograms/dl
Children--10 micrograms/dl

dl ==deciliter

reloading noob
12-04-2011, 09:35 PM
OSHA Regulations stipulate that only laboratories approved by OSHA can conduct blood lead tests. Blood lead level sampling must have an accuracy within plus or minus 15 percent or 6 ug/dl, whichever is greater.

Read more: OSHA Blood Lead Regulations | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5538910_osha-blood-lead-regulations.html#ixzz1fcUXWCDv

So with the acceptable +/- that is allowed in testing yes it is possible to have a bll of 0

edler7
12-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Go clean some brass.

Always makes me feel better.

reloading noob
12-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Blood analysis that indicates a blood lead level below 40 ug/dl (micrograms per one-tenth liter) is considered acceptable.

Read more: OSHA Blood Lead Regulations | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5538910_osha-blood-lead-regulations.html#ixzz1fcVBI6Ki

220swiftfn
12-04-2011, 10:00 PM

If you were pulling our legs in the original post, for future reference put THIS in the post......:kidding:

Otherwise you get three pages in a day about how what you're doing just might be "ill advised" by people who really do care about others' safety......

Dan

220swiftfn
12-04-2011, 10:04 PM
But if she says keep your ammo out of the dishwasher ... or don't clean used wiping patches in the washing machine ... I WILL bow to her wishes.

CM

That's what the 24hr laundromat is for.......(also good for shop rags..... And horse blankets)

Dan

btroj
12-04-2011, 10:14 PM
If you were pulling our legs in the original post, for future reference put THIS in the post......:kidding:

Otherwise you get three pages in a day about how what you're doing just might be "ill advised" by people who really do care about others' safety......

Dan

Bingo

jcwit
12-04-2011, 10:16 PM
OSHA Regulations stipulate that only laboratories approved by OSHA can conduct blood lead tests. Blood lead level sampling must have an accuracy within plus or minus 15 percent or 6 ug/dl, whichever is greater.

Read more: OSHA Blood Lead Regulations | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5538910_osha-blood-lead-regulations.html#ixzz1fcUXWCDv

So with the acceptable +/- that is allowed in testing yes it is possible to have a bll of 0

So in other words within the tolerance level its zero. but in reality there is a level, just not specified.

Sound like political talk to me!:kidding::kidding:

jcwit
12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
If you were pulling our legs in the original post, for future reference put THIS in the post......

Dan

Correct!

That's what the 24hr laundromat is for.......(also good for shop rags..... And horse blankets)

Dan

Yup, Correct again!

Bingo

And we have a winner!

472x1B/A
12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
AWWW, yes the 24 hr laundromat. Don't forget the coon and coyote hides. Some empty shot shells will throw the other customers off from what you'er up to.

rtracy2001
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM

Dan

Oh, I see how you all are. "Its too dangerous" for your own machine, but you have no qualms washing the same items in a "public" machine.

Take a step back and think about that. :holysheep

How many people use the laundromat because they can't afford a washing machine, don't have room for one, or maybe theirs is out of order? If the lead contamination is so horrible that you would never do it in your own home, how can you justify doing it to those folks?

No Dan, not just hot at you. A lot of people should feel like they have egg on their face (I don't care if you just thought about it, just mentioned it, or only did it once). Oh, and I'm not buying the "we were just talking about harmless things that the wife doesn't want in her machine." You should be ashamed of yourselves. Man up.

gandydancer
12-04-2011, 11:27 PM
being anal is one hard of hearing? my my my how we do go on.

montana_charlie
12-04-2011, 11:42 PM
If I was in your shoes ... and I have been ... I would be taking it seriously, too.

You described a pretty thorough azzchewing from a lady who thinks you have been skating for a while (to hear you tell it). She also seems to think that bending over to pick up empty brass is the only exercise you've enjoyed lately.

I don't know if there is any possibility of lead poision in your dishwasher, but I detect a different kind of poison ... at work your relationship.

In most cases, a woman doesn't value a man much if he can't find time to help her out ... but I've only been married (to the same woman) for 42 years.

CM

Sonnypie
12-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Let's see...
Giving you the benifit of the doubt, a new dishwasher runs $343-380 +/- (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=11&gs_id=2&xhr=t&q=dishwashers&rlz=1C1AFAB_enUS452US452&nord=1&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1152&bih=779&ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11619732949289910971&sa=X&ei=7kDcTuurPOrj0QH7iNEd&sqi=2&ved=0CIwBEPMCMAA)
(The cheapest that popped up)

Kinda makes my SST media look really reasonable in price. :)

Plus the wifey isn't all pissed off because I used any of her tools for my stuff. [smilie=1:

(Note: I own the garage, and one room for my "office". The rest of the house is hers to do with what she wants. She has always respected my space. So I don't screw with hers.)

1911sw45
12-05-2011, 12:23 AM
jcwit, the IQ was about lead causing development problems of children eating lead at a young age. I posted mine because I feel eating lead as a small child did not have any thing to with my development. It was not posted for any other reason. Yes, zero was what my blood test showed. I will be having it done again in a year since that is all my health insurance will pay for.

Adam

jcwit
12-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Still washing fired cases in a dishwasher is not the smartest way to take care of ones family.

Remember post #51 when taking wash to the laundrymat.

Blacksmith
12-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Sounds to me like anyone really concerned about others getting contaminated with lead, mercury, or any other hazardous substance should first make sure they are completely clean before throwing stones at other peoples actions. They should not melt or cast lead in any form or shoot any firearm that uses primers, powder, or lead containing projectiles because any of these actions could put hazardous materials into the environment thus endangering family, friends, neighbors, or others.

When you contribute 0 contamination you are free to complain about others.

Blacksmith

MikeS
12-05-2011, 04:14 AM
I'm not going to get into this whole debate over the safety of using a dishwasher, or clothes washer. I personally wouldn't put brass into the dishwasher, but I did try using the clothes washing machine. I put some 45ACP brass I had shot (about 150 cases) into a laundry bag, then washed it along with a bunch of shop rags I had laying around that needed washing. I had deprimed the cases beforehand, and when I took them out after the machine went thru it's cycle, the cases were cleaner than I've ever gotten cases just by tumbling. This batch I just washed, and let air dry, but I think the next time I do this I will throw the cases into my tumbler for a couple of hours once they've dried, as that will give me nice clean cases with a great shine too. As the German guy on YouTube that did a video on this said "Don't ever do this when any female is around!"

I'm pretty sure the way to clean stuff that's been contaminated with lead is to wash it, so it couldn't hurt. I mean the rags I wash have plenty of lead on them before I wash them, yet they come out nice and clean, even the areas that had lead on them!

gabe123
12-05-2011, 04:41 AM
Everybody may 'think' one thing or another, but there is one thing I know.

I would not be pleased to find my wife using my favorite electric drill to woggle out the holes in her castiron skillet handles so she could hang them on the pot rack.
Neither would I be thrilled to see her using my special hunting knife to chop up a chicken on a granite countertop.

I happen to help my wife load and unload the dishwasher, and I also lend a hand in the laundry room.

I may have bought those appliances, but I gave them to her. As such, she gets to make the rules about how they're used.

Anybody who is too much of a 'real man' to allow that is fooling himself.

CM

I know we are all trying to watch every penny, but don't give us any ideas!:holysheep

Southern Son
12-05-2011, 05:19 AM
so now I am a bad husband?

Looks like it might be Sunday, Noob. Lots and lots of sermons here for you and you didn't even get to church! :kidding:

jcwit
12-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Sounds to me like anyone really concerned about others getting contaminated with lead, mercury, or any other hazardous substance should first make sure they are completely clean before throwing stones at other peoples actions. They should not melt or cast lead in any form or shoot any firearm that uses primers, powder, or lead containing projectiles because any of these actions could put hazardous materials into the environment thus endangering family, friends, neighbors, or others.

Blacksmith, you missed the point entirely. It just went right over your head.

Ickisrulz
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Blacksmith

Just because we do the hobby doesn't mean we should be careless.

1Shirt
12-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Then again some people just can't see humor in some things! Se le vie!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Reload3006
12-05-2011, 01:40 PM
I find it amazing that I am alive from all the lead contamination I must have ingested from latent contact. I have dined on several succulent fried quail and duck and pheasant that had a piece of lead shot undetected while cleaning and bitten into and promptly spit out. While it was not good for my teeth I have noticed no ill effect. Also the vast majority of Americans have drank water from pipes held by lead solder joints. not to mention pure lead pipes in older homes. lead will not wash off and leach into water food contaminating it. Lead Oxide will. so it probably would be a good Idea to wear a dust mask when opening an old bag of shot or getting into your lead horde and seeing chunks with a white powdery substance on it. Also its Lead Oxide in paints that cause the lead poisoning. Ask your self this if it was so totally dangerous why do doctors routinely leave lead bullets in people because its more dangerous to remove them than to leave them in ....IF in fact that lead is toxic and so easily absorbed into the system?
I am not saying at all that lead is not toxic it is. But only if ingested or inhaled. Don't eat it and don't breathe the Lead oxides. also as noted on several threads here lead doesn't vaporize until 3000 deg f so your lungs would be burned beyond use before you inhaled enough Lead vapor to poison you.

mold maker
12-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Boy.....I'm glad that's over with.

Recluse
12-05-2011, 02:52 PM
I find it amazing that I am alive from all the lead contamination I must have ingested from latent contact. I have dined on several succulent fried quail and duck and pheasant that had a piece of lead shot undetected while cleaning and bitten into and promptly spit out.

Yep, same here.

In fact, I'm amazed I'm even upright and breathing seeing as how I still have a lump of lead attached to a big bone in my hip, courtesy of a drug dealer who was (fortunately) a bad shot.

It's calcified over, but my doc tells me that eventually, that lump of lead in there WILL kill me.

It may take until I'm in my 70's, 80's or even, God forbid, my 90's, but she has guaranteed me that I'm a goner.

:coffee:

Baron von Trollwhack
12-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Yep, same here.

In fact, I'm amazed I'm even upright and breathing seeing as how I still have a lump of lead attached to a big bone in my hip, courtesy of a drug dealer who was (fortunately) a bad shot.

It's calcified over, but my doc tells me that eventually, that lump of lead in there WILL kill me.

It may take until I'm in my 70's, 80's or even, God forbid, my 90's, but she has guaranteed me that I'm a goner.

:coffee:

OH ! don't feel bad. That's nothing to worry about.

I am skeered of the goobermint making me drive a tiny smart car with intoxicated mexican nationals all about with unchecked, poorly maintained, overloaded, semis barrelling down the road maintained by acorns.

jcwit
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Still seems as if everyone has missed my reference to LEAD COMPOUNDS not to metallic lead.

Totally different!

BTW have any of you ever sat inside of one of those "Smart Cars"? I did out of curiosity when I was at a dealer that had a used one. Good God, I wouldn't drive a block in that mishapped coffin.

montana_charlie
12-05-2011, 06:05 PM
The Isetta has been around since I was in Germany in the late '60s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta

I never rode in one, and I never saw one on the Autoban, but they were a pretty common sight.

There was also a 'little car' running around in Germany (back then) that was made by Messerschmitt, and it looked like this ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_KR200

I only ever saw one, but I was so intrigued I followed it until I was able to find who made it.

CM

starmac
12-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I don't know if issettas were ever sold here or just imported by individuals, but I knew of several that were being driven here. My grandad used to run a wrecker service in Laporte tx.
I remember him pulling an issetta out of a large ditch on a busy road, that had been in there for three days. You couldn't see the little thing if you were driving down the road. The front was against the other side of the ditch so the driver couldn't open it and there were no windows big enough for him to crawl through. lol

220swiftfn
12-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Oh, I see how you all are. "Its too dangerous" for your own machine, but you have no qualms washing the same items in a "public" machine.

Take a step back and think about that. :holysheep

How many people use the laundromat because they can't afford a washing machine, don't have room for one, or maybe theirs is out of order? If the lead contamination is so horrible that you would never do it in your own home, how can you justify doing it to those folks?

No Dan, not just hot at you. A lot of people should feel like they have egg on their face (I don't care if you just thought about it, just mentioned it, or only did it once). Oh, and I'm not buying the "we were just talking about harmless things that the wife doesn't want in her machine." You should be ashamed of yourselves. Man up.

Huh??? Why should I feel ashamed for washing horse blankets at the laundromat??? (looks like frothy hot cocoa, BTW) If you're talking about the rags and patches, the only problem with those is if you DRY them.....

Dan

rtracy2001
12-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Huh??? Why should I feel ashamed for washing horse blankets at the laundromat??? (looks like frothy hot cocoa, BTW) If you're talking about the rags and patches, the only problem with those is if you DRY them.....

Dan

The horse blankets are not so bad (so long as you make some effort to leave the machine clean). The shotshells and other items that are too "dangerous" to wash at home are the problem. I've washed sleeping bags because my machine wasn't big enough and the commercial machines are. No problem there. In general it was the attitude that "there is no worry if it isn't in your own home " that set me off.

jcwit
12-06-2011, 08:50 AM
"there is no worry if it isn't in your own home "

And that is happening in every laundryman everywhere every day.

Remember that the next time you happen to use one.

Reload3006
12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I suppose we have Hijacked this thread enough ... back to the Ops post ... what momma dont know won't hurt her. I went to the dollar store bought one of those nylon laundry bags and its not at all uncommon for me to throw in a load of brass with mommas clothes when she isn't looking and I score points for volunteering to get the clothes out of the washer for her...LOL Ya gotta cover all angles:mrgreen:

starmac
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Now having clothes washed at the laundrymat is going to kill me, I knew something eventually was I guess.

jcwit
12-06-2011, 02:55 PM
I suppose we have Hijacked this thread enough ... back to the Ops post ... what momma dont know won't hurt her. I went to the dollar store bought one of those nylon laundry bags and its not at all uncommon for me to throw in a load of brass with mommas clothes when she isn't looking and I score points for volunteering to get the clothes out of the washer for her...LOL Ya gotta cover all angles

You gotta be joking.

The statement that what mama doesn't know won't hurt her. Very poor common sense, what someone doesn't know very easily can hurt them. Can't believe you think so little of your wife and/or family.

Try giving her a dose of arsenic that she doesn't know about and see if it hurts her or not.

What pray tell is wrong with attempting to be safe while handling reloading components.

But as I stated earlier, it is your life and it is your family, such as you seem to care for them.

rsayloriii
12-06-2011, 03:30 PM
You gotta be joking.

The statement that what mama doesn't know won't hurt her. Very poor common sense, what someone doesn't know very easily can hurt them. Can't believe you think so little of your wife and/or family.

Try giving her a dose of arsenic that she doesn't know about and see if it hurts her or not.

What pray tell is wrong with attempting to be safe while handling reloading components.

But as I stated earlier, it is your life and it is your family, such as you seem to care for them.

I see that sarcasm is an elusive creature to you ... and some others ...

Reload3006
12-06-2011, 03:34 PM
You gotta be joking.

I just gotta know honestly not trying to be mean spirited ... if you are so afraid of Lead lead poisoning et al why are you a participant in a sport that slings the (to you hazardous stuff)? and why be a member of a forum promoting the use of it?

Ickisrulz
12-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I see that sarcasm is an elusive creature to you ... and some others ...

I'm sorry but I just don't see the need for sarcasm in this thread. Some of us are pointing out that a little bit of precaution is worth it when it comes to ourselves, our familes and the strangers using the laudry mat.

I don't know why anyone would want to use the dishwasher or washing machine to clean brass when there are cheap alternatives out there that will keep possible contaimination out of your house.

Like I said before in these types of threads there's always some who point out how they used to do things (or still do them) and nothing bad ever happened. Great! But why not do things a little better now since we have more information and know lead compounds are not good for the human body, especially those of developing children?

Ickisrulz
12-06-2011, 03:46 PM
I just gotta know honestly not trying to be mean spirited ... if you are so afraid of Lead lead poisoning et al why are you a participant in a sport that slings the (to you hazardous stuff)? and why be a member of a forum promoting the use of it?

Although the question wasn't addressed to me....

Guns are dangerous. I know that and make sure I handle them properly so no one gets hurt.

Lead and casting alloys contain hazardous materials. Fired brass also has hazardous materials on it. As does the tumbling media. This is a fact. Just like the guns, I take precautions to avoid getting these compounds in my body. Usually this just involves washing my hands before eating or drinking.

It is possible to understand the hazard and take precautions so that you can safely enjoy the sport/hobby.

I don't understand the adversion here to not being careless.

jcwit
12-06-2011, 03:52 PM

Because as I've pointed out numerous times the metalic lead is of very little consequense as to being hazardous. This is as to casting and loading bullets. The major problem occures with lead compounds, I've memtioned this before, might try reading my posts, as in the residue from the primer which is in the cases which started this whole discussion as to it being a problem, and/or prolonged shooting at an indoor range with inadecuate ventilation.

Is this really that difficult for some of you out there in nether nether land to comprehend? Especially when you also put your families at risk?

Am I afraid of lead and/or lead compounds, not hardly, but I am sensible with how I handle them. Why on earth do you insist on putting you and yours in harms way?

Reload3006
12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
LOL I still find your posts comically hypocritical.

rsayloriii
12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't understand the adversion here to not being careless.

I don't see it as being careless and not caring. What is being said here is that it's bordering upon ludicrous at the measures taken to avoid "contamination". But yet things like "washing your hands before you eat ..." is ok. So, you're getting rid of the contaminants on your hands and are now sending them into the sink, down the drain, and back into the water supply.

I do agree with being responsibly cautious, but at what degree does it cross from being responsibly cautious to just plain ludicrous?

Ickisrulz
12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't see it as being careless and not caring. What is being said here is that it's bordering upon ludicrous at the measures taken to avoid "contamination". But yet things like "washing your hands before you eat ..." is ok. So, you're getting rid of the contaminants on your hands and are now sending them into the sink, down the drain, and back into the water supply.

I do agree with being responsibly cautious, but at what degree does it cross from being responsibly cautious to just plain ludicrous?

Washing your hands after routine handling of chemicals is the standard the majority of workplaces follow and is recommended by OSHA.

If not washing brass in the dishwasher and washing your hands after reloading tasks are ludicrous to you, I wonder...do you buckle your seat belt, put your kids in a car seat, have smoke detectors in your house, use the safety on your firearms, check your tire pressure?

Ickisrulz
12-06-2011, 04:16 PM

I don't think anyone is being comically hypocritical here. But it got me thinking.

It amazes me how the charge of hypocrisy has changed over the years.

Originally it was intended to get the offender (the hypocrite) to get their behavior aligned with their message.

Now, the term hypocrite is thrown out to discredit the message and provide an excuse for the accuser to avoid accountability and correct behavior.

jcwit
12-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Glad you're getting such a laugh when it comes to you and yours health.

What is so difficult about being careful with ones person? Would you take your 1 year old son into a tabacco smoke filled room and leave him there?

starmac
12-06-2011, 04:20 PM
A lot of grew up riding in the back of pickups, most cars didn't even have seatbelts,and car seats had never even been heard of, we had no knowledge of lead poisoning either.

It is amazing that there are any of us left to reproduce. yet my great grandmother lived to be 109, without ever putting a seat belt on, grew up from no plumbing thru the whole era of lead paint and plumbing, some things just amaze me. The only thing I know for certain is that I will never get out of this world alive.

Reload3006
12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Obviously this "Message" is near and dear to the poster. I do not fault him for his position. However he is contributing to what he says it hazardous. as a previous poster pointed out he washes his hands and flushes the contaminants down the drain to become part of the problem for everyone. Then at the same time condemns that practice for washing the brass. Doesn't matter where or how its washed the contaminants are still being disposed of in the environment. SO taking part in a Hobby/sport creating the pollutants I find totally the Height of Hypocrisy. that really is Saying one thing and doing another.

rsayloriii
12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
do you buckle your seat belt, put your kids in a car seat, have smoke detectors in your house, use the safety on your firearms, check your tire pressure?

None of which have anything to do with contaminants in your dishwasher or washing machine, nor the ingestion of said contaminants.

And while I do not do it on a regular basis, I do occasionally throw a bag of brass in the washing machine if it's dirty, muddy range pick ups. Otherwise, they just go in the tumbler. But I have no fear of "what lurks within" after washing any brass. It's no different than working under a car and washing greasy dirty clothes in there. Or washing the clothes you wore to the range or while reloading. All of those contaminants end up in the washer too. Doesn't matter the medium, it's the fact that it was washed. So, by that standard, we should never wash anything lest we all become contaminated.

Ickisrulz
12-06-2011, 04:25 PM
A lot of grew up riding in the back of pickups, most cars didn't even have seatbelts,and car seats had never even been heard of, we had no knowledge of lead poisoning either.

It is amazing that there are any of us left to reproduce. yet my great grandmother lived to be 109, without ever putting a seat belt on, grew up from no plumbing thru the whole era of lead paint and plumbing, some things just amaze me. The only thing I know for certain is that I will never get out of this world alive.

I wonder how many of your grandmother's siblings died during their childhood...or how many of her schoolmates or playmates died as a child.

My grandmother who was born in 1912 had one of her sisters die at about the age of 3.

For me...all my siblings are still with me and my graduating class of more than 500 had no deaths at that time. We are safer now. Maybe to a fault...but we are living longer.

jcwit
12-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Like I said before in these types of threads there's always some who point out how they used to do things (or still do them) and nothing bad ever happened.

Yup, absolutely, My dad smoked for 65 of his 80 years, nothing bad ever happened -------------------------TILL He became ties to oxygen tanks to breath, and nothing worse happened-----------------------------------------------------TILL he strangled from lack of oxygen and the ability to breath.

But no one told him it was bad to smoke back then, and what he didn't know would not hurt him of course.

Ickisrulz
12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
None of which have anything to do with contaminants in your dishwasher or washing machine, nor the ingestion of said contaminants.

And while I do not do it on a regular basis, I do occasionally throw a bag of brass in the washing machine if it's dirty, muddy range pick ups. Otherwise, they just go in the tumbler. But I have no fear of "what lurks within" after washing any brass. It's no different than working under a car and washing greasy dirty clothes in there. Or washing the clothes you wore to the range or while reloading. All of those contaminants end up in the washer too. Doesn't matter the medium, it's the fact that it was washed. So, by that standard, we should never wash anything lest we all become contaminated.

My point was you take precautions in everyday life.

Grease and dirt are not lead. Lead compounds are much more toxic. No need to fear to be cautious.

But it sounds like you are comfortable with you procedures and status as an amature industrial hygienst and toxicologist.

jcwit
12-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Then at the same time condemns that practice for washing the brass. Doesn't matter where or how its washed the contaminants are still being disposed of in the environment.

You're going for a REAL streach there. I do not wear cloths in water that my hands are washed in, you may, but I do not. Further our water system takes care of containments in the water supplied to our house.

One more time folks, not metalic lead, lead compounds, GET IT?

Anyone tried the test kit yet, or should we just overlook that precaution also, and proceed into the unknown, blindly charging off the cliff.

No wonder Bammer is trying to protect us.

Ickisrulz
12-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Yup, absolutely, My dad smoked for 65 of his 80 years, nothing bad ever happened -------------------------TILL He became ties to oxygen tanks to breath, and nothing worse happened-----------------------------------------------------TILL he strangled from lack of oxygen and the ability to breath.

But no one told him it was bad to smoke back then, and what he didn't know would not hurt him of course.

You remind me of an important point. The first drag off a cigarette makes you sick and cough. That's your body telling you it's not good for you. Eventually you get used to the smoking and come to enjoy it.

But, many chemicals, including lead, have no warning properties. It's like radiation in a way. Unless you are screened for it you many not realize the effects until it's too late and your health suffers. That's why you have to be even more careful to not get it into your body.

rsayloriii
12-06-2011, 04:32 PM
My point was you take precautions in everyday life.

Grease and dirt are not lead. Lead compounds are much more toxic. No need to fear to be cautious.

But it sounds like you are comfortable with you procedures and status as an amature industrial hygienst and toxicologist.

I don't know about your knowledge of automobile "wastes", but I guarantee you there's more than just "dirt and grease". Grease alone, automotively speaking, is a petroleum byproduct and let's not even get into all the "nasty" that lies within there. Used motor oil? Hmmm lots of nasty byproducts of combustion, including arsenic.

rsayloriii
12-06-2011, 04:40 PM
You're going for a REAL streach there. I do not wear cloths in water that my hands are washed in, you may, but I do not. Further our water system takes care of containments in the water supplied to our house.

I never said that for one. I personally wash the brass separately. But even then, you'll have residual contaminants. And as far as the water supply "taking care of it", have you ever looked at what's acceptable? I doubt it's really that much different than what you would contribute by washing brass.

No wonder Bammer is trying to protect us.

Well that explains it all right there ...

Ickisrulz
12-06-2011, 04:42 PM
I don't know about your knowledge of automobile "wastes", but I guarantee you there's more than just "dirt and grease". Grease alone, automotively speaking, is a petroleum byproduct and let's not even get into all the "nasty" that lies within there. Used motor oil? Hmmm lots of nasty byproducts of combustion, including arsenic.

You mentioned grease and dirt. Not oil. Even still...grease, oil and dirt are much less hazardous than lead compounds.

I did industrial hygiene in the Air Force for 20+ years. I'm familiar with the hazards and controls for most industrial processes.

Let me put it this way...industrial areas are separated from eating and break areas for a reason.

Any workplace that cleaned lead-contaminated parts in the dishwasher used by their cafeteria would be shut down and fined by OSHA within 15 minutes of their compliance inspection.

What you do in your house is your business (for the most part) regardless of how foolish it is.

mroliver77
12-06-2011, 04:43 PM
I think reading this whole thread was more dangerous to my health than running some cases through a dish washer!
J

jcwit
12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
i think reading this whole thread was more dangerous to my health than running some cases through a dish washer!
J

unbelievable

jcwit
12-06-2011, 04:53 PM
I doubt it's really that much different than what you would contribute by washing brass.

So how do you know that, you're just guessing, actually you have no idea.

rsayloriii
12-06-2011, 04:54 PM
So how do you know that, you're just guessing, actually you have no idea.

This whole thread is just a guess, now isn't it?

jcwit
12-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Well yes I suppose it is, as is getting your kids vaccinated for polio, after all what are the chances of getting that, pretty slim. I aught to know, after all I begged and whined till I convinced my parents I didn't need the shots, less than a year after the vaccine became widely available, guess who got polio.

Life itself is just a guess as to what will happen, but then I do not try to play volleyball on the toll road or expressway. Its sorta common sense to use precautions when they are very easily available and accessible to us.

But then if you wish to live on the edge and fall off, try not to scream on the way down, may we only hear the splat of the impact with reality.

starmac
12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I have lived my life the way I wanted too, while my parents were very strict in some ways they were generous in ways many people find frightening. If I drop dead today, I feel I have lived a much fuller life than many will if they live to be 200 years old. I have never done anything that I feel is going to hurt me, but neither am I going to live under the bed to die healthy.

Every body processes things differently, what will kill one might not harm many others, and there is nothing we can do about how we were put together when we were born.

I would gladly sacrifice a few years to go back to the freedoms and lifestyles I had growing up.

jcwit
12-07-2011, 12:56 AM
After spending the last 6 hours in the emergency room getting treated for problems having nothing to do with lead, I'm now home. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

starmac
12-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Hope all is well.

DLCTEX
12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Get well jcwit!

jcwit
12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Everything seems OK so far today. Meds seem to be working as perscribed.

Thank God for the VA!