PDA

View Full Version : Gas Check "Tightness"

wv109323
12-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I tried several new things today and ran into problems. I cast for the first time with a Lee 6 cavity mold. The bullet is a 245 gn. SWC with a gas check for a .44 Mag.
After casting I tried to size the bullets and crimp on the gas checks using a RCBS luber and a .429 sizing die. Using gas checks is almost new to me. The gas checks were snug going on the bullets and I actually used a set of Channel-Locks (smooth jaws) to put the gas check squarely on the bullet base. When the bullet was sized ( and the gas check crimped ) the gas check loosen up on the bullet base and actually fell off the bullet. The gas check was actually tighter on the bullet before running it in the sizer.
Could I size the bullets and then attach the gas checks?
How tight should the gas check be on the bullet? I could easily remove the tightest of them with a finger nail. Many of the gas checks would stay in the sizing die when I lifted the bullet away.
I was using an aluminum gas check(also a first).
Would it hurt anything to shoot a bullet with a loose gas check? Could a gas check get caught in the barrel causing problems from one round to another?
Should a gas check deattach itself from a bullet in flight?
Thanks in adavance for your answers.

DLCTEX
12-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Too thin of material for gas check. Try a thicker material. Also do a search for aluminum gas checks, lots of info available.

Mavrick
12-03-2011, 10:32 PM
The problem is with aluminum stock that was used to make the checks. Did you make them yourself, or did a buddy do it?
What could be done is to double the stock over, then make the checks, then there would be one inside the other, and they'd be tighter on the boolit.
They should be TIGHT on the boolit, way tighter than possible for your fingernail to pry off.
It would hurt nothing but (maybe) accuracy to use a loose check. No, a check SHOULDN'T fall off in flight, but..things happen.
The pressure in the barrel is from 18K to 35+K from a .44 Mag. It's hard to believe it possible to stick a gc after the shot...but, I'm SURE someone will come on and say it happens on a regular basis. It runs my BravoSierra meter to the max.
It's possible to use the boolits without ANY gc. It'll smoke 'em up a bit, tho', as the rebated part of the boolit will fill with lube when you lube/size.
Just in case....That boolit IS rebated for a gc, isn't it?? Just askin'.
Have fun,
Gene

wv109323
12-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Yes ,The bullet is rebated for a gas check with a diameter of .405. The OD od the gas checks are at .430 to .432 with a wall thickness of .020. The ID of the gas check is .390. This leaves an interference fit of .015". Like I said the gas checks are tight on the bullet when pressed on the bullet base before sizing. When the bullet is sized to .429 the gas check becomes loose. I don't understand because the sizing should tighten up the fit by another .003-.004"

looseprojectile
12-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Sounds to me like you are getting springback. Dead soft won't hurt your checks.
I searched till I found some .017 copper to make my checks from. They work just like store bought.

Life is good

DLCTEX
12-04-2011, 08:14 AM
If they were copper I'd say anneal them to reduce springback, but I don't know if you can anneal aluminum.

Bret4207
12-04-2011, 08:48 AM
You've work hardened you aluminum. Look into annealing it, if it can be done. I imagine what's happening is the aluminum is crushing the GC rebate area when in the sizer and then springing back out when it leaves the sizer. The answer is either annealing or a different material.

Why are you sizing down to .429? That's pretty small for a modern 44.