PDA

View Full Version : The Day Karen Met the Moose

BruceB
02-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Many longer-term members are familiar with this story, but I had some requests down on the Handguns Forum to relate the whole story, so here it is again....

Some years back, when we lived in the Northwest Territories, we were hunting moose and Wood Bison south of Great Slave Lake. Our camp had been flown in by helicopter, and we were a long way from any sort of road or other civilization.

I was not on the immediate scene when these events went down, being hunting some distance away.

My wife was hunting with her Browning Safari-Grade Mauser in 7mm Remington Magnum using handloaded 175-grain Bitterroots...a very fine game bullet indeed. Hunting in a willow/spruce swamp with the ground flooded about 6" deep, she jumped a nice bull moose at forty or fifty yards. She fired one round, which was a fatal hit through the chest. Not wanting him to get out of sight, she cycled the bolt and fired another round.

The rifle blew up.

The sides of the mag came out through the stock. The extractor and bolt stop disappeared. The floorplate, follower and mag spring, and the remaining rounds were gone. The shroud at the BACK of the bolt was distorted and the locating pin was driven back into the shroud and the hole SWAGED SHUT in front of it...in fine steel, not aluminum.

The entire casehead had melted, and brass was plated throughout the inside of the bolt and action, and the underside of the scope and forward face of the rear mount were also plated. The boltface counterbore was greatly expanded, and the cartridge headstamp was clearly readable on the bolt face.

Once I got the remains to a heavy bench vise at home, it took a four-foot pipe to lever the bolt open. The third "safety" lug was BEARING HEAVILY in its cut in the receiver floor. Normally this lug makes no contact. On pulling the barrel, the main lugs were found to have set back almost 1/8" into the receiver ring.

The bullet was STILL IN THE BARREL, barely four inches from the chamber. Also, the fired case exhibited a huge shoulder collapse, almost 1/2 the length of the case. These facts indicate that a hangfire occurred for some reason. The load had been thoroughly tested, and over 100 rounds had been fired in pre-hunt practice.

My wife's left hand, wrapped around the front of the mag area, had a sprained wrist, a VERY nasty near-artery cut in the same area, and a couple broken fingers. Her face was full of brass and steel fragments, although her specs had stopped a lot of fragments and were essentially ruined...but they saved her eyes. Fragments were working their way out of her face for many years afterward.

So.... in Karen's words, "I looked at my rifle, and saw it was *******. So, I dropped it in the swamp and pulled the Ruger." Yep, she had the Super Blackhawk along. I'd ragged her a bit about it, asking why she needed it when she had a good rifle. "I want it!", she said. (I don't ask, any more.)

The Ruger carried five max-loaded 429244, in softened linotype alloy. Two rounds were solid neck hits. She actually fired three, but doesn't know where the third one went. She stopped shooting at three rounds, because she was worried about trying to reload the single-action with only one good hand. About that time, the moose fell over dead, 65 yards from where she fired.

The Mauser performed perfectly, just as designed, and contained this disaster in wonderful fashion. I'd say my wife performed equally well.

On the SAME HUNT, just a day or two earlier, the two of us faced a bison stampede which virtually rolled right over us, and she stood with that Browning just as steady as a rock in my peripheral vision. I'd told her that if any animal ran directly at us, we should both shoot it and hope to shelter behind its body. I had the .404, so it was a reasonable expectation (and also the ONLY recourse we could expect in the circumstances). About 200 bison ran out of the bush directly at us, spooked by our hunting partners on the other side of the 1/4-mile of bushland. We could actually SEE them recognize us as an obstacle, and the herd divided and ran by within 5 yards on both sides of us....close enough to feel their body heat.

My wife never flinched or wavered one iota.

She'll "do to ride the river with".

P.S. Forgot to mention that two of the three .44s went completely through the moose's neck, both fatal hits in big vessels, along with the one 7mm bullet in the chest.

RugerFan
02-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Wow what a story! Needless to say, I'm impressed with your bride.

Nueces
02-21-2007, 10:55 PM
So am I! Here's a smart salute for her (and you, too, for pickin' her out).

Mark

onceabull
02-21-2007, 11:42 PM
ALL: This has been a top ranking real life story since I first read/heard it..BUT, always therafter ,whenever I pick up one of my Belgian Browning bolters ,it's the first thing that comes to mind...!! :veryconfu Onceabull

Catshooter
02-22-2007, 12:16 AM
" She'll "do to ride the river with". "

Christ, I'd say so!

Cat

NVcurmudgeon
02-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Bruce, having been on Shooters, aimoo, and cast boolits long enough to collect two hashmarks, I've heard these stories a time or two. I still am in awe of Karen's "grace under pressure." This is the first realization I had that the moose and bison stories occurred on the same hunt. What a life of adventure you two lived in the Territories!

Dale53
02-22-2007, 02:05 AM
All I can say is that I AM IMPRESSED!!

Dale53

9.3X62AL
02-22-2007, 02:17 AM
One hell of an account, and one hell of a lady. Her old man is right fine to hunt with, too! :-)

Cherokee
02-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Very impressive !!

cobbmtmac
02-22-2007, 08:27 PM
What a tremendous story!! Can't say much more that hasn't been said. I had heard a little about it, but reading it first hand was thrilling. I am more than IMPRESSED. Karen.:drinks:

Shucks, the most dangeous thing that ever happened to me was, years ago while in the Idaho wilderness hunting with my B-in-law, the "Dr. of Pharmacy"......It was the appropriate time to remove several stiches from the end of my thumb. (I had sliced it open while sharpening my hunting knife in preperation for this great hunt). So the "Dr. of Pharmacy" pulled a couple of stitches out in good fashion. Then he clipped the next one and grabbed the wrong end, jerking the knot end through the stich whole. Yow-eeeee--Spurt--Spurt![smilie=1:

Looking to NCBS-007, Mac

35remington
02-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Care to post the particulars about the load for the 7mm, so I can avoid it like the plague?

Any further conjecture over just went wrong? Bad primer, etc?

sundog
02-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Hooah!

tommag
02-22-2007, 09:22 PM
After the rifle blowing up, I'd of forgotten I had the pistol. Never mind the fore-sight to think about reloading with only one hand! Up until now, I thought I had done some amazing things during stressful times. I'm a wimp!

dubber123
02-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks for re-telling it, from the hint you gave it sounded like a doozy, and it sure was!

MtGun44
02-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Thanks for sharing that story. Awesome functioning under pressure.
I'd brag on my wife, but the story pales by comparison.

Is it possible that a .30 cal bullet got mixed up in the .284s ??? That's
about what I would expect from trying to swage a .308 to .284 "a bit
too fast".

Great reason to have a heavy caliber handgun handy when hunting.
I keep my 629 Mountain Gun in a crossdraw when I rifle hunt.

Bill

BruceB
02-23-2007, 12:08 PM
The load was very commonplace for THAT time, and for the components available then. In other words, don't try judging it with today's components or today's manuals.

The bullet was the 175 Bitterroot, as already stated. The charge was 66.0 grains of OLD, as in ORIGINAL, surplus 4831 powder, of which I had a 20-pound drum and which I used in many different cartridges and loads without difficulty. The 66.0/4831 was a very common and efficient recommendation for the 175-grain 7mm Remington Magnum in the loading manuals of the time.

I remember chronographing the load and finding it to be within spec for the manuals to which I referred (this was with a stone-age break-the-screens instrument, but in the early '70s it was a pretty hot setup). Over 100 practice rounds were fired, some with 175 Hornadys, and some with the VERY expensive 175 Bitterroots. No problems of any sort arose. I don't recall the precise speed at this late date, but it was in the vicinity of 2800 fps.

I have no idea why that round chose to hangfire.

For Christmas of 1989 my ladies gave me an example of the very first gun of the S&W "mountain" concept, the .44 Mountain Revolver. It has ridden my belt in some very remote and completely-unpeopled areas, in all sorts of weather. It definitely shows its service, but that just adds to its charm. It might very well be my favorite handgun, although that could be as crowded a field as the DemocRAT presidential primary. I too carry a powerful handgun when afield, and did so even when we happened to live in handgun-phobic Canada. (Just a few months after we left our wilderness home in the NWT, a young man was killed in his sleeping bag and eaten by a healthy black bear....less than one mile from our former home!! And, people STILL claim there's "no need" for a gun in the wilds! Blissninnies, pure and simple.)

Ricochet
02-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Bruce, I think the first time you posted that story was when I'd brought up my hypothesis that many "SEE" events occur from hangfires. My idea is that if a heavily deterred slow burning powder is only partially ignited, much of the powder remains unlit but is surrounded by hot gas long enough for the heat to be transmitted from the surface down into the core of the powder kernels. Then when they do ignite, the overheated powder burns very rapidly, perhaps even translating from combustion to detonation kinetics, resulting in dangerously excessive pressure.

9.3X62AL
02-23-2007, 05:12 PM
"Blissninnies"--PERFECT terminology for those who let others or their circumstances dictate outcomes. I like it a lot, Bruce.

onceabull
02-23-2007, 06:21 PM
What the gentleman from Cobb didn't tell was how my hands and eyes had been effected by his introducing me to Laphroaig a couple of days before.. Despite all his handicaps, I found him a fine Mountain Goat up there while recovering..:roll: Onceabull :roll: R.I.P : Lee Schultsmeier

Swamprat1052
02-23-2007, 06:32 PM
WOW. Amazing, my hats off to the lady.

Swamprat

Ricochet
02-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Excuse me, I meant to say the first time I saw Bruce post that story was in regard to SEE and hangfire...

I'm sure he'd posted it before. :-D

Bubba w/a 45/70
02-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Nothing more to say but :drinks: to her.

Hamish
03-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Bump to resurface an outstanding story!

41 mag fan
03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Holy Smokes!! You're wifes that calm and cool and level headed during a stampede and a gun blow up......I'd hate to be a criminal that crosses her path.....I would say by that story your wife would win!

Most people whether it be women or men, would of dropped and ran in a stampede, and a gun blowing up, they would of been too stunned to even think of the moose, let alone drawing her SBH to finish it off.

WOW...thats a story to remember and pass along.

smoked turkey
03-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Hamish thank you for bumping up that old thread. That was an awesome read. I liked it so much that I reread it and called my wife in and asker her to have a seat while I read it to her. All I can say is we have some amazing people here on this board with some equally amazing stories.

ammohead
03-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Yes, cool headed and a crack shot with most any firearm. But should you be lucky enough to find yourself at the Bannister's for dinner....be sure to save room for desert. The woman is a kitchen magician!

ammohead

Echo
03-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Any chance of a picture of the lady? I would like to print one, with the story, and hang it on my wall. What A GAL!

quilbilly
03-20-2012, 04:33 PM
For a picture of this fine lady and incredible cook see page 8 of the 2011 NCBS as she accepts the Distinguished Host Award.

Fishman
09-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Bump for the new members, as mentioned in a recent thread. Great story and outstanding grace under pressure.

jeepyj
09-04-2013, 10:20 PM
You're correct great story for some of us "newer members" I've only met a couple lady's of this caliber in my day.Far and few in between.Thank you for sharing.
Jeepyj

DLCTEX
09-07-2013, 01:59 PM
That kind of woman will make a better man of you just in an effort to measure up.

Screwbolts
08-24-2014, 07:06 AM
Annual bump for new members to find and enjoy.

Ken