PDA

View Full Version : 32 cal maxi-ball

skeeter2
12-03-2011, 05:53 PM
My brother shoots a 32 T/C Cherokee. He has wanted a maxi-ball mold, but the original T/C molds are worth their weight in gold. I found a mold maker that will cut me one. Does anyone know the diameter of the original molds? I'm thinking exact diameter is less critical when casting pure lead. What diameter would you have it cut? The guy just took over the business and can do the work but has no idea on the exact diameter.

Mk42gunner
12-03-2011, 10:35 PM
It has been so long since I shot any maxi-balls (and then I think it was only five) that I can't remember if they are bore or groove diameter. I think they are bore diameter, and are supposed to slug up upon ignition. If they were groove Lee wouldn't be able to make all of his claims about the REAL boolits.

Robert

excess650
12-03-2011, 11:21 PM
I seem to recall the base band being bore sized, the middle band slightly larger, and the front band groove diameter. Slug your barrel.

NEI listed maxi-ball molds, but I haven't checked lately.

451 Pete
12-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I don't know about the .32 but the .50 R.E.A.L. ( R ifling E ngraved A t L oading ) engraves the top band into the groove. On the smaller diameter rifles like the .32 which are more so ment for small game ( rabbits , squirrels, ect. ) I am not sure what if any will be gained with the little larger bullet. I have a Dixie Squirrel in a .32 that with 10 grain charges is a plinker and 25 grains makes into a great small game rifle.

Pete

12-03-2011, 11:37 PM
skeeter2,

excess650 gives good advice. Slug the bore first then design the mold based on those numbers. You'll want to make sure the mold maker understands that the Maxi is designed to be cast of very soft to near pure lead (pure lead usually drops at smaller diameter than the harder alloys). And yes, the base needs to drop very near bore diameter and the upper drive band is larger and may approach groove diameter. The function theory of the T/C Maxi is based on that type of fit.

DistRifle
12-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Mine mics .318 at the base, .317 on the middle band, and .323 on the nose - cast from pure lead. The base is a little loose in the bore. So, a little larger would not hurt. The nose is a little larger than groove diameter on my Cherokee. It does shoot good.

skeeter2
12-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies gentleman. Distrifle, thanks for the measurements. That helps tremendously. I am buying this for Christmas for him so I can't slug his barrel.

longbow
12-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Not sure if this info will help or not but I have a Lyman 504617 that measures:

- nose = 0.504"/0.506"
- middle band = 0.502"/0.504"
- bottom band = 0.500"/0.502"

My barrel slugs 0.500" bore x 0.512" groove which seems pretty typical of old CVA, TC, Lyman, etc.

Point being is that the nose is only about 1/2 the rifling depth. The bottom band is a snug push fit into the bore and obviously engraves a little. I would have figured the nose should be groove diameter but maybe too hard to ram if full diameter?

I have to assume the intent is that the bottom band slugs up to fill grooves at firing.

This does not shoot well in my gun but I also have round ball twist of 1:66".

Anyway, if Lyman makes moulds that run to only 1/2 rifling depth on the nose for common barrels it must work as Maxi balls have a pretty good reputation for accuracy from the 1:48" barrels.

You can probably find TC Cherokee barrel info on the internet if you search and I suspect that exact fit of nose and base bands is not critical within a few thou though the base should be close to or at bore diameter.

Longbow

Maven
12-04-2011, 05:01 PM
skeeter2, I know people prefer the Lyman v. Thompson Center* molds because the former are iron (Meehanite) while the latter are anodized aluminum. However, I've owned and cast with a number of Lyman and T/C Maxi- and roundball molds and have found the T/C's, to be more consistent dimensionally than the Lyman's. The T/C's, in spite of being aluminum, cast very well, and are very well made to boot.

*Don't know who made these for T/C, but it seems that Ohaus, Green Mtn., and even Lyman did at one time or another.

longbow
12-04-2011, 07:11 PM
I know you said you found a mould maker but have you considered Tom at Accurate Molds? I see he has some Maxi type designs and can cut down to .30 cal.

He may have dimensions for the .32 so may be able to advise.

Just a thought.

Hmmmmm... another thought:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=115711

Not a Maxi but should work.

Longbow

mooman76
12-04-2011, 08:08 PM
You might try the WTB section here. It may be a long shot but I've seen them in there before. Also if the his barrel twist isn't fast enough he probably won't get them to shoot out of his gun worth a darn.
Good luck!

Maven
12-04-2011, 10:25 PM
The twist rate of the T/C Cherokee is a compromise twist and will handle both a patched RB and T/C Maxi-Ball surprisingly well.

mooman76
12-05-2011, 12:52 AM
What is a compromise twist in a 32 cal?