PDA

View Full Version : Africa!!

DanWalker
12-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Just put a deposit down on my safari. Will be going in June. Hunting Gemsbok, Impala, and warthog.
Will be using cast boolits and leverguns.
Sorry, not trying to brag. This is just a dream come true for me. When I was a dirt poor 14 year old kid, reading Ruark and Roosevelts tales of the dark continent, I never thought I'd get to go...

Pepe Ray
12-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Your optimism for the future is refreshing.
I truly wish you the very best of luck and will be looking forward to the pictures.
Pepe Ray

swheeler
12-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Good for you! Need a gun bearer?

runfiverun
12-03-2011, 08:04 PM
sitting in vernal cussing /envying/congratulating you.
grrrrrrr.....
expect pictures.

Jim
12-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Way to go, Dan! I know you're excited. I sure am happy to hear you're about to see a life long dream finally fulfilled.

RugerFan
12-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Excellent! Can't wait for the pics and stories.

legend
12-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Dan, i think thats wonderful ! I am happy for you.

12-03-2011, 09:46 PM
I went back in 2002 and all I can think about is going back. Cast will work just fine for your list of animals. Good luck and have fun!

cdet69
12-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Good luck in Africa. I am still trying to get to Wyoming. Have fun and take lots of pictures of everything.

zac0419
12-03-2011, 10:22 PM
What country, what boolits, what levers? Congratulations, Africa is an amazing experience.

DanWalker
12-04-2011, 12:05 AM
What country, what boolits, what levers? Congratulations, Africa is an amazing experience.

Thanks for all the kind words.
I'm going to the Limpopo province of South Africa.
I'll be using the Ranch Dog 190 grainer in my Marlin 336 in 35 remington for the Gemsbok and Impala. I'll be using my Win94 Trapper in 45 colt, shooting hammer boolits, for the warthog.
From what I hear, some of the hunting will be from horseback. I'm pretty stoked.
Wife and daughter are going with me. Trip will be a combination birthday present(me)/20th wedding anniversary/College graduation present(wife)
The kid gets to go, just because she has such cool parents.

Old Goat Keeper
12-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Ain't braggin if it's a fact Dan! Congrats and enjoy what most of us will never have a chance to do.

T-o-m

saz
12-04-2011, 05:22 AM
I can carry heavy stuff!

white eagle
12-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I'll take the light stuff .....What ?

TCLouis
12-04-2011, 11:45 AM
years ago I was talking to two friends and one mentioned that he was going to Africa the next season.

He said he couldn't afford it, (single man), but when he was old, instead of being a grumpy old man, he would sit there with a smile on his face remembering scenes from Africa.

Africa and Alaska seem to do that to folks.

Hardcast416taylor
12-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Years ago when I was in my "salad" days I dreamt of an Africian hunt trip. I had the money, good job and somewhat agreeable wife that could have let it happen. However, 4 small kids, sudden bad health with injuries and down turned economy due to oil arabs in the 70`s ended the dream for awhile. Today I still dream of going, but cannot due to ill health and insufficient funds. I have my arsenal I got together for Africa though and try to help others that are going now with moral and a little physical help. Robert

DanWalker
12-04-2011, 01:33 PM
My wife said something similar. I had planned on going to Africa 3 years ago, but was unable to, due to getting laid off. Keeping food in the freezer and the lights burning, became more important.
When I started waffling on the booking of this trip, she told me that if we kept waiting until finances and conditions were perfect, we might never get to go.
This trip means no new toys for me for quite some time. Memories are forever though.

dk17hmr
12-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Nice. We need PICTURES.

My dream hunt is grizzly bear and moose in Alaska and I would really like to hunt some hogs with dogs and a knife....it might happen one day until than I am "stuck" hunting in Wyoming

Hardcast416taylor
12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
"Stuck hunting in Wyoming"??? Why is my left arm hurting suddenly and my vision and speech blurring???Robert

waksupi
12-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Dan, I am making you a new suitcase to travel with. By some co-incidence, I just happen to fit inside of it. Please put in fresh shredded paper, and some lettuce every day.

Van
12-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Africa is a very violent place.

saz
12-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Someday, someday.......

DanWalker
12-05-2011, 09:19 AM
It's been decades since my last safari. Sometimes, late at night, I think back on those experiences in the bush. There is nothing like eating a fresh kudu or impala steak, fresh grilled on the fire the night you kill it. A cold beverage, a clear bright African sky, stars so bright, you need no flashlight. The sound of Hippos screaming their strange laugh in the water a mile away. A rifle at the ready, just in case. Keenly aware that you now lower on the food chain.

You can leave Africa, but Africa never leaves you. Just remember, keep your ladies safe. Africa is a very violent and animalistic place. Two legged animals are there in great numbers.

Both my girls are handy with guns, and can handle themselves pretty well. That being said, I will keep an eye on them. False bravado aside, I wouldn't want to be the idiot that messes with them around me. It's a quick way to find out how really thin the civilized veneer is that I show the world.

scrapcan
12-05-2011, 12:43 PM
I guess now all three of you get to start on the immunizations!

btroj
12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
My wife, danger, and I went 3 years ago. My daughter cried as we left South Africa.

You are going to absolutely have a ball. Between the 3 of us we shot 13 animals. We saw so many more that it was almost overwhelming.

Have a great time and don't forget to get lots of photos.

Did I mention how much you will like it?

Crawdaddy
12-06-2011, 01:18 PM
You are not bragging at all. We are all happy for you. I for one will live vicariously through your adventure.

An Africa trip is on my bucket list. One day I will do it.

Post lots of pictures. congrats!

1Shirt
12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
I hunted Zimbabwe this year and was lucky enough to take a Cape Buff. 4 years ago, I hunded Namabia and took 10 animals. Am now 73 years old, have run out of time and money to be able to do it again, but both were hunts of a lifetime. Wish you the best of luck! Have a great time, shoot well, and let us see the pics when you get back.
1Shirt!:coffee:

1kshooter
12-06-2011, 01:51 PM
that sounds like a dream trip come true!.....most defenatly want to see lots of pic's...how about a pic of the guns you are taking and maybe some load prep ..that kind of stuff?

JJC
12-06-2011, 07:04 PM
that sounds like a dream trip come true!.....most defenatly want to see lots of pic's...how about a pic of the guns you are taking and maybe some load prep ..that kind of stuff?

I second that. Are you using irons or scopes or both?

Ernest
12-10-2011, 04:27 PM
You are going to have the time of your life.... The only down side is that you will always want to go back. I promise you that.

pictures and stories pictures and stories

12-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Just a word of advice: Pack your ammo in factory boxes. Travel and encountering various custom inspectors and/or airline knuckleheads leads to ammo seizures if it's not in a factory box. Clearly, 99% of the boneheads have no idea what they are looking at and they flex their authority when confronted with handloaded ammo. A factory box seems to solve all the problems. Several of my friends have encountered this problem and have lost lots of their ammo. Most of which I loaded for them!!!!!!!!!!! Do yourself a favor and avoid the problem altogether.

DanWalker
12-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I second that. Are you using irons or scopes or both?
Both leverguns wear Williams peep sights.
The win 94 trapper(45Colt) will be used for the warthog. I feed it HAMMER boolits over 18 grains of 2400. Haven't seen a critter yet that could stand one of them through the shoulders.
The Marlin 336CS(35Remington) will be shooting Ranch Dog 190 grainers over max charges of H335.
I don't imagine we will have to look very hard for the impala and Gemsbok after one of these boolits punch through their shoulders.

waksupi
12-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Just a word of advice: Pack your ammo in factory boxes. Travel and encountering various custom inspectors and/or airline knuckleheads leads to ammo seizures if it's not in a factory box. Clearly, 99% of the boneheads have no idea what they are looking at and they flex their authority when confronted with handloaded ammo. A factory box seems to solve all the problems. Several of my friends have encountered this problem and have lost lots of their ammo. Most of which I loaded for them!!!!!!!!!!! Do yourself a favor and avoid the problem altogether.

Very good advise. We used to outfit safaris, and this was something that saved lots of problems.

btroj
12-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Despite much of what you read the animals there are not bullet proof. Put the bullet where it belongs and the animals die. It is that simple.

DanWalker
12-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Very good advise. We used to outfit safaris, and this was something that saved lots of problems.
Now I just need to come up with factory ammo boxes.
I've NEVER bought a box of factory 35 remington or 45 Colt.

waksupi
12-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Now I just need to come up with factory ammo boxes.
I've NEVER bought a box of factory 35 remington or 45 Colt.

Post a "Wanted" here, bet you can find the boxes in no time.

LAH
12-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Dan, Barbara & I wish you & yours well. God's Speed & enjoy.

GLynn41
12-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Shoot strsight and come back well with tall tales

zac0419
12-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Send me a pm if you need it and I'll send you a 50ct 45 colt factory box.

Pioneer2
12-14-2011, 10:53 AM
A lot of the professionals/ farmers in SA have left due to crime and the Communist/ANC running everything the Europeans built into the ground.A lot of their Doctors came to Canada.An acquaintance has been to Rhodesia/Zimbabwe several times and had Customs clowns wanting him to account for missing brass/ammo shot on the hunt! Mamma was right about getting an education......none noticed..........Harold

50-170-700 sharps
12-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Have fun, be safe, shoot straight, and take lots of pics!

smoked turkey
12-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Dan: I have enjoyed reading this thread. It brings back so many great memories because I was exactly where you are last year at this time. Me and my two sons went to South Africa last June. We did a trophy hunt and each collected five animals on a seven day hunt. We got Kudu, Blesbuck, Impala, Warthog, and Mountain Reed Buck (one son only was fortunate enough for this). We also saw lots of animals and had a great time as you might expect. It was a trip of a life time for me also. Especially since I got to share it with my two sons. To my main point, the paperwork and having it filled out ahead of time is a must. I cannot over emphasize the need to carry your handloads in factory boxes. I took a 300 Weatherby and I had to scrounge up factory boxes for my handloads. I think I have at least one or two 45 Colt and 35 Rem factory boxes. I'll look them over because you want them to look new. As far as I know no one even looked at ours, but you need to be prepared just in case. I'll let you know if my boxes are good enough for you to take, and if so I'll be happy to send them to you if you need them. Happy hunting, and Merry Christmas.

TXGunNut
12-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Sounds great, Dan. Your wife is right, as always. Someday you won't be able to enjoy a trip to Africa, if you wait 'til you can afford it you may never go. Do your research and due diligence on the paperwork. Goodness knows nothing spoils a trip abroad like a PO'd bureaucrat.

chickenstripe
12-23-2011, 08:57 AM
One thing I would recommend is a preclearing of your firearms, and firearms registration (and other valuables) on US customs form 4457.

I went through henry durrheim at riflepermits.com, he's the 30yr old in the pictures on the site.

He'll get everything pre-approved on the SA side. It's about a $100 service that can literally save you HOURS (6-8hours) of time in the SA police station at the airport.

Everyone will be asking you for a "tip" (translated into english: a bribe) when you reach the airport. Everyone from the baggage handlers to the police. The preclearing of the firearms will avoid any bribes necessary to get your firearms through the SA police station.

It's just part of the adventure of Africa!!!!

PM me if you'd like any additional info.

blikseme300
12-23-2011, 09:15 PM
I am originally from South Africa and moved to the USA in '03. I do miss the hunts I did but won't ever return due to the BS I would have to deal with. There is nothing more memorable than a good hunting vacation in that part of the world. Here in Texas you feed the deer and one morning you shoot it from a blind. Is this hunting?

Bliksem

ocelott
12-24-2011, 01:47 AM
I have 2 Winchester cowboy factory load boxes for the 45 I'd be willing to donate to the cause...

Rafe Covington
12-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Good luck on your hunt, congrats on getting to go to Africa.:drinks:

Rafe

DanWalker
03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Just an update. I've been doing some load development. I tried the Hammer boolits over 18.5 grains of 2400. It's an old standby load for me. I haven't hunted with this load in a while, and forgot why I quit using it. Recoil in my win 94 trapper is stout with it. So stout that the magazine tube comes loose and actually jumps over the retaining screw holding it in. I think I will be trying some 250 grain Keith SWC's over the same load when I get home at the end of the month. I plan on using the 190 grain Ranch Dog boolits in my 35 Remington Marlin 336cs for my Gemsbok and impala. Anyone have a notion as to how fast I can push this boolit? I've cast them from ACWW's and dip lubed them in Liquid XLOX.

runfiverun
03-19-2012, 02:16 PM
i don't see any reason you can't go over 2k easily wih the 35.
i'd go with h-4895 and a filler for hunting situations,where things are gonna be josteled around.
and the round will see temp swings and such.
keep the noses clean, pretend your in wyoming or sumthin....

that loose mag tube is gonna be an accuracy killer at the least,and a problem of epic proportions at the most.
fix it or leave it at home.
i'll loan you a levergun if you need one..
i got 94's in both 44 and 45 [the 45 is unfired so you might have to break it in], and 3 92's in 45 and 2 more in 44 so i could get along without one of them for a day or two.

bearcove
03-19-2012, 02:49 PM
I think I have 2 new 35 rem boxes if you need some.

DanWalker
03-19-2012, 03:52 PM
i don't see any reason you can't go over 2k easily wih the 35.
i'd go with h-4895 and a filler for hunting situations,where things are gonna be josteled around.
and the round will see temp swings and such.
keep the noses clean, pretend your in wyoming or sumthin....

that loose mag tube is gonna be an accuracy killer at the least,and a problem of epic proportions at the most.
fix it or leave it at home.
i'll loan you a levergun if you need one..
i got 94's in both 44 and 45 [the 45 is unfired so you might have to break it in], and 3 92's in 45 and 2 more in 44 so i could get along without one of them for a day or two.

Thanks Lamar. The whole point of taking the 94 is because it is my pig gun. I used it for killing hogs when I was hunting them for a living. I should be able to fix the mag tube pretty easily. I will most likely retire the gun from hunting after that until a grandkid gets old enough to use it.

DanWalker
03-19-2012, 03:55 PM
I think I have 2 new 35 rem boxes if you need some.
YES SIR!
I could surely use them.
What'll you take in trade?

tonyjones
03-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Dan,

Who will you be hunting with in Limpopo Province? Also, do you know which areas you'll be hunting? Over the course of three safaris I've spent the better part of two months there.

Best of luck,

Tony

DanWalker
03-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Dan,

Who will you be hunting with in Limpopo Province? Also, do you know which areas you'll be hunting? Over the course of three safaris I've spent the better part of two months there.

Best of luck,

Tony

I will be hunting with Chris Troskie Safari's.
http://www.ct-safaris.com

smoked turkey
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Dan, I know you and your family are getting excited about the upcoming trip. I think you will do good. When I went last year the outfitter said that I should be able to hit a 8" circle reliabily at 200 yards off shooting sticks. I found it to be true that a good solid "deer rifle" would do the trick on most plains game. My longest shot was 300 yards (I still say it was closer to 400 yd!) at a Kudu. My closest was at 50 yards at a very ugly Warthog. It was the trip of a lifetime for me as has been stated in many of the above remarks. I think you'll feel that way too. I went through my empty cartridge boxes for good looking ones. I only have one Winchester factory box that I think is worthy of you taking to Africa. I'll be happy to sent it to you if you need it. Just shoot me a PM with your address. Remember, all we ask in return are some pictures of the camp, guides, game, etc. Good hunting to you.

chickenstripe
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
It's nice to see everyone lending a hand, however, I did extensive research on this.

Factory cartridge boxes are not required.

Although, boxes specifically designed for cartridges are required, as is a lockable box for your ammunition. Magazines do not clasify as a storage box.

I used this one: PlanoŽ Lockable Ammo Travel Case (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=751831&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3 D740706%26type%3Dproduct%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26sea rchPath%3D%252Fcatalog%252Fsearch.cmd%253Fform_sta te%253DsearchForm%2526N%253D0%2526fsch%253Dtrue%25 26Ntk%253DAllProducts%2526Ntt%253Dammunition%252Bb ox%2526WTz_l%253DHeader%25253BSearch-All%252BProducts%26Ntt%3Dammunition%2Bbox%26WTz_l% 3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-216741)

It will hold long and magnum action cartridges, horizontally, and short action cartridges vertically.

Your ammunition must be locked, and packed in your carry on luggage (per SA police).

bearcove
03-20-2012, 01:57 PM
PM me your address and I'll send some boxes.

LGS
03-27-2012, 07:08 PM
One bad thing about hunting in Africa, is trying to save the money to go back again. One trip is just not enough.

Check with your outfiter or travel agent to get someone to meet you at the airport. It cost me another $150 but was well worth it. I was met at the airport in Joburgh and he walked me through customs and the police check of my rifles, in half the time it would have taken me by myself. Have a good time and take lots of pictures.

Hardcast416taylor
03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
On the 2 safari`s a friend and his wife went on in the late `90`s to S. Africa, all their ammo that they took that I had worked up for their 3 rifles were packed in slip top plastic ammo boxes with the load data sticker only on the outside. These in turn were in a lockable case. They took an .30-06, a .280 Rem. and a .338 Win. Mag., they accounted for 20 trophies - a handful winding up in Safari Club trophy rankings - over the 2 hunts.Robert

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-28-2012, 07:46 PM
I will be shooting my own cast in a .45-120 Wickliffe SS my gunsmith built last fall.

Africa is addictive, I had just planned one trip four years ago. Cape Buffalo and come home.

In 32 days I will be heading out on Delta for my third trip. RSA this time, Eland, a Zebra rug for Mamma, Blesbok and Impala, Leopard (if my CITES paperwork clears in time), and Hyena and Wart Hog.

I'll be in Limpopo Province as well, near Steenbokpan for two weeks.

Make sure to have your PH get a bottle or two of Amarula for the evenings. Think Bailey's Irish Cream on steroids.

And of course, no trip is complete without a side trip to LUXUS for Cuban cigars.

enjoy...

Rich

DanWalker
03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
It's nice to see everyone lending a hand, however, I did extensive research on this.

Factory cartridge boxes are not required.

Your ammunition must be locked, and packed in your carry on luggage (per SA police).

My ammo has to be in my carry on bag? I bought the box you suggested. Doesn't look like it will leave a lot of room for anything else in my carry on.

tdd4570
03-29-2012, 04:48 PM
"Your ammunition must be locked, and packed in your carry on luggage (per SA police)."

Dan

You need to double check that statement. I don't think you will make it to the airplane in the US if you try to carry it on.

The Gemsbok is comprable to the size of an elk. I'm sure the .35 rem will work, but think elk loads.

Have a great trip.

Dave

saz
03-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Oh man! I forgot that your trip is coming up pretty soon. Good luck to ya, dont have TOO much fun and make sure to post pics so we can all live vicariously through you!!!!

Ok, have too much fun!

smoked turkey
03-30-2012, 01:15 AM
This ammo thing is a tough one to wrap your arms around. It is because each airport can write their own set of rules for handling it. I found it best to lock my ammo in my "checked" bag apart from my rifle. As far as I can tell it went all the way to South Africa without any one bothering it. I tried that when I boarded a plane for the return home and they made me move it from my check luggage to a seperate bag to be marked and ride with the rifle. I found that firearms ride in a seperate or at least in a designated area on the plane. I had no other bag to put my ammo in. Airport personnel put it in a plastic bag and stapled it shut. I thought I'd never see that ammo again, but when I got off the plane at home it was there with my rifle waiting for me to pick up. I don't think you can carry your ammo on in your carry on luggage. Your probably should give your departing airport a call and verify what they require. Good Luck!! Happy Hunting!! Be Careful!!

chickenstripe
03-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm really sorry about the miswording.

Your ammo should definitly be in your "checked bag"......

Just Duke
04-07-2012, 11:55 AM
When I was a dirt poor 14 year old kid, reading Ruark and Roosevelts tales of the dark continent, I never thought I'd get to go...

Been there. Well at least you had dirt. I was just poor.
Pics are always good.

WILCO
04-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Been there. Well at least you had dirt. I was just poor.

I can relate brother. ;-)

WILCO
04-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Memories are forever though.

Just had a conversation about this earlier today. The mind's eye is a powerful thing. It transports you to the past with such clarity and depth. Sights, sounds and emotions are right there as if it's just happening..................

DanWalker
04-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Been gettin everything ready. Got my locking gun case, and my locking case for my ammo.
Got loads worked up for both rifles. Been doing lots of shooting to get dialed in.
Got both rifles sighted in at 100 yards. Both are printing 2 to 3 inch groups at that range, which isn't too bad for iron sighted leverguns.
I went and did some penetration and expansion testing today. Since you all wanted me to keep you informed, here goes:
First pic is of my test medium setup. It consisted of a water soaked phonebook that was 2 inches thick when soaked. Immediately behind it is a 3 gallon water jug, and behind that is another water soaked phone book. I was shooting at 55 yards rested on the tonneau cover on my pickup.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2568.jpg

Here is a pic of the exit wound channel in the first phone book. It was created by the 190 grain Ranch Dog boolit from my marlin 336. The load is 38 grains of H335. Velocity is right around 2000 fps. The boolit is cast from ACWW and dip lubed with liquid Xlox. This was one impressive boolit! Even after doing all this damage, it penetrated the water jug and punched out the back of the other phonebook. This wound channel is extremely similar to what I have seen from nosler partitions in my 7mm.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2570.jpg

Here is the exit created by the 250 grain LEE swc I will be shooting out of my win 94 trapper. It was also cast from ACWW and dip lubed with Liquid Xlox. I was pushing them with 18.5 grains of 2400. Velocity is around 1500 fps. This boolit looks like it should work nicely for warthog. It also completely penetrated both phone books and a full water jug. I was able to recover the expanded boolit from the sand pile behind the target. You can see it sitting on the phone book, above and to the left of the exit hole.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2571.jpg

Here is a closeup of the expanded boolit.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2573.jpg

Here is a recovered 190 grain ranch dog boolit after being fired through 12" of wet phone books. It burrowed another 6 inches into the sand, before being stopped against a big rock. I have a penny I picked up, next to it for size comparison.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2578.jpg

Finally, here are both boolits in their unshot form.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2583.jpg

I'm pretty satisfied by the performance and accuracy of these loads. I am now going to be spending as much time as I can, working on my marksmanship. From now, until they get loaded on the plane, these rifles will be getting shot at every opportunity. I will be focusing on offhand and kneeling mostly. I plan on lots of work to get to where I can deliver fast follow up shots if needed.

smoked turkey
04-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Dan:
Yes it is almost crunch time!! I know you have butterflies in you stomach just thinking about it. You are going to have the time of your life. Very impressive performance from your boolits. I am impressed that the gas check also stayed in place during all that. At least it looks like the left boolit still has the GC in place. I am sure you'll be ready and you and your rifle will do fine. Enjoy and be careful.

saz
04-20-2012, 08:52 AM
MAN! I wouldnt have guessed that 250 at 1500 would penetrate like that! IMPRESSIVE!
Looks like you have your battery ready to go. Good Luck!

04-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Been gettin everything ready. Got my locking gun case, and my locking case for my ammo.
Got loads worked up for both rifles. Been doing lots of shooting to get dialed in.
Got both rifles sighted in at 100 yards. Both are printing 2 to 3 inch groups at that range, which isn't too bad for iron sighted leverguns.
I went and did some penetration and expansion testing today. Since you all wanted me to keep you informed, here goes:
First pic is of my test medium setup. It consisted of a water soaked phonebook that was 2 inches thick when soaked. Immediately behind it is a 3 gallon water jug, and behind that is another water soaked phone book. I was shooting at 55 yards rested on the tonneau cover on my pickup.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2568.jpg

Here is a pic of the exit wound channel in the first phone book. It was created by the 190 grain Ranch Dog boolit from my marlin 336. The load is 38 grains of H335. Velocity is right around 2000 fps. The boolit is cast from ACWW and dip lubed with liquid Xlox. This was one impressive boolit! Even after doing all this damage, it penetrated the water jug and punched out the back of the other phonebook. This wound channel is extremely similar to what I have seen from nosler partitions in my 7mm.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2570.jpg

Here is the exit created by the 250 grain LEE swc I will be shooting out of my win 94 trapper. It was also cast from ACWW and dip lubed with Liquid Xlox. I was pushing them with 18.5 grains of 2400. Velocity is around 1500 fps. This boolit looks like it should work nicely for warthog. It also completely penetrated both phone books and a full water jug. I was able to recover the expanded boolit from the sand pile behind the target. You can see it sitting on the phone book, above and to the left of the exit hole.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2571.jpg

Here is a closeup of the expanded boolit.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2573.jpg

Here is a recovered 190 grain ranch dog boolit after being fired through 12" of wet phone books. It burrowed another 6 inches into the sand, before being stopped against a big rock. I have a penny I picked up, next to it for size comparison.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2578.jpg

Finally, here are both boolits in their unshot form.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DSCF2583.jpg

I'm pretty satisfied by the performance and accuracy of these loads. I am now going to be spending as much time as I can, working on my marksmanship. From now, until they get loaded on the plane, these rifles will be getting shot at every opportunity. I will be focusing on offhand and kneeling mostly. I plan on lots of work to get to where I can deliver fast follow up shots if needed.

First, good luck on the trip!
Seems like there was a lot of mis-information batted around on this thread so hope you have sorted out the REAL issue with transport of arms and ammo. Also hope you have a realistic idea of African antelope. I noticed that you'll be hunting oryx. They are not as big as elk. Their live weight ranges will be more like 350-450 lbs. for large, mature animals. BUT, they are tough and can travel very long distances with less than good hits. Their anatomy is different than say North American deer or elk. They have a relatively smaller heart/lung area that is tucked farther forward and more between front shoulders. They also have a larger rumen (gut). They have somewhat of a hump.... with longer vetebral processes running along the top of the neck back to just above/behind the shoulders. That fact makes for difficult neck bullet placement and neck shots are not recommended! Good bullet penetration is important as is shot placement into that heart/lung area. Take the above advice any way you like.... all based on years of dealing with these animals.

DanWalker
04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the insight.
My PH sent me a shot placement guide. I've been studying it. I will probably be trying for a shot that takes both shoulders. I'm now leaning towards using the win94 for everything and just having the marlin as a backup gun.

04-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Good about the PH sending diagrams. I don't know if their heart/lung area is farther forward OR their legs/shoulders are set back farther. Either way they are just a little different. Best, surest, cleanest kill requires the bullet, in most broadside cases, to be put through the shoulders.... no farther back than about the rear edge of the shoulder. And about 1/3 of the way up from the sternum (as is normal for most for all game). Having said all that about having to shoot a little farther forward, I know that some hunters OVER COMPENSATE and shoot too far forward and go though the brisket- another tracking job and/or less than happy ending. From what I've seen (including many closely examined carcasses), a good quality Jbullet out of a normal higher velocity rifle or a normal cast bullet at lesser velocities will give plenty of penetration- with accuracy and shot placement being premium.

Matt_G
04-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Dan,
Have you been over to the Accurate Reloading Forums (http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve)?
If not, you really should do some reading over there.
Lots of good info on traveling to Africa on those boards.
Those folks can give you lots of good advice and save you a lot of heartache.

jimone
04-22-2012, 08:49 AM
I hunted with CT Safaris a couple years ago in Limpopo. I would strongly recommend that you tell Chris that you want to hunt on foot, rather than riding around in circles in the truck all day.
Also tell him to put his camera and cigarettes away until after the kill.
I hope you don't mind smog, as they are building coal fired power plants to beat the band in the area.
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but my next trip will not be a high fence hunt in RSA, you could go to Texas and do that, and keep the meat.
Bring your own water and food on the airplane, both ways, and a surgical mask to wear when they land in Dakar for fuel and spray the inside of the cabin with insecticide.

04-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Actually if you fly from Dulles on SAA, the refueling stop is in Dakar Senegal.... not Darfur Sudan- opposite sides of the continent. If you fly Delta out of Atlanta it's direct to Jburg. As to the haze and smoke. Most of that in the southern 1/3 of Africa is a result of seasonal burning of undergrowth and grass each dry season- usually June-August (winter).

jimone
04-22-2012, 01:24 PM
I meant Dakar, thanks for correction. We stopped there on the return trip, Joburg-JFK, not on the way over. I have heard they return nonstop now, but am not sure. They ran out of bottled water on the return trip and offered drinks from paper cups that they stuck in front of dozens of people before getting to us, no thanks.
The yellow sulfurous smelling smog I experienced was from power plants, during May. At that time (2009) there were 8 other plants under construction in the district, within 100 km.

04-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Yep, the acrid smoke is likely from coal power plants. I believe the majority of the haze and smoke that is so prevalent thoughout the southern part of the continent though is from the seasonal burning of brush and grass from the previous growing season. That has been done for 100s or 1000s of years. One thing for certain- those folks don't worry about out of control wildland fire. Also, in the rural areas one of the primary cottage industries and sources of income besides agriculture is charcoal production... since many still use charcoal for heating and cooking. Those charcoal kilns are widespread and constantly running. According to several sources I've talked to in different countries, one of the major environmental concerns is not power plant emissions or the burning of vegetation... it is the ruthless, scorched earth policy mineral and natural resource extraction by Chinese companies.

As for first time visitors to Southern Africa during that season- just a heads up about the smoke and haze.

DanWalker
06-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Sitting in Denver airport now! Can't beleive this day is finally here. Had ZERO issues with TSA or British Airways. Both were polite and very helpful. Sat and shot the breeze about hunting with the TSA guys while they scanned my gun case and ammo.
We will spend the day in London Tomorrow, and land in RSA the following morning.
Will keep you all posted as to how things go.

TXGunNut
06-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Good luck to you, hope things go as well in London.

smoked turkey
06-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Glad to hear things started out so good. I hope that is an omen and it all is that way. Anxious to hear the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say.

06-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted and let us know how it all goes! Have a good trip. Take lots of pics, be open minded and take in the full measure of the wildlife, habitats and continent as a whole- but maybe most of all- take time to get to know some of the local people. Be headed back that way (Mozambique) myself here in a couple of months.

mstarling
06-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Oh my! Missed this thread until now!

Have been to RSA twice and Tanzania once. It is WELL worth driving an old truck, shooting cast boolits, and carrying your lunch to work!

Sure hope you aren't going through London ... is a PITA for firearms!

And hope that you have your 4473s as issued by US Customs ... otherwise you can't get your guns into RSA and back into the US.

First trip is SPECIAL and you will remember it all of your life. Limpopo is a lovely area.

Enjoy!!!!

DanWalker
06-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Got back from Africa at 1 AM this morning. Had a blast! Here's some video we shot of our hunts. I will have further details later, after I have slept off some of this jetlag.
http://youtu.be/H6wOMTRXh6A
http://youtu.be/SdVeIuYrTMg
http://youtu.be/sG9G011z0fE

Kudu was shot with a crossbow, but it is still pretty cool video.

smoked turkey
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Dan welcome back. Looks and sounds like you made a bunch of good memories and you did take some excellent video. Looking forward to the next installment.

dk17hmr
06-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Im in for more videos and pics.

runfiverun
06-29-2012, 09:48 PM
that impala looked like it put up quite a fight.
you'll rethink using lead boolits i bet :lol:

smoked turkey
06-29-2012, 09:57 PM
speaking of that Impala, he had some VERY impressive horns. Wide and tall. Good one Dan.

bronte454
06-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Absolutely thrilling . Very happy for you . Look forward to the nitty gritty

Euan
06-30-2012, 07:28 AM
It looked like a great time. Will sure be some good memories.

DanWalker
07-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Ok, since you all asked...
First, the impala. We had been stalking Gemsbok in the brush all morning, without getting a shot. My PH suggested we go sit in a waterhole blind and eat our lunch, and maybe get in some game viewing while we ate. We sat and watched a herd of blesbok come in and drink, and had some comical young warthogs come in as well. I spotted this ram in the brush about 150 yards out. When he cleared the brush, we both knew he was a shooter. I had my sights on him the whole time he was walking to the water. When he put his head down to drink, I let him have it. The 250 gr SWC from my win 94 trapper obviously severed his spine, then traversed down through his chest, severing the aorta and some other vessels on top of the heart, and wound up just under the skin in his belly. We knew he was a good ram when we saw him. when I finally put my hands on those horns, I was speechless. He measures 25" on one side and 25 1/2" on the other.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/DanImpala.jpg

We hunted hard for Gemsbok for 2 days and just couldn't get a responsible shot. That brush is THICK! We were within range numerous times, but couldn't find a way to put a bullet where it needed to go. Finally, it got windy, and we stopped seeing them. My PH asked me if I minded shooting one from a blind. I told him we had hunted hard and fair, and I saw no problem at all with taking one from a blind. We set up that evening in a blind that our tracker told us was being visited by a nice herd. I hit my bull at 60 yards with my win 94, right through the shoulders. Bullet broke the onside shoulder, clipped the top of the heart, and at least one lung, then was found under the hide on the offside shoulder. he only ran 65 yards before tipping over. My PH became a beleiver in cast BOOLITS that evening! Gemsbok have a reputation for being hard to put down. He said his 375 didn't drop them much quicker than my little 45 trapper did.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/Dan_Gemsbok.jpg

My first warthog was shot with my 45 trapper as well. We were stalking a group of warthogs about 200 yards away, when he fed out of the brush right in front of us, about 75 yards away. PH asked me if i felt comfortable shooting from there, and I told him that I'd like to be closer. We closed to 60 yards, and I gave mr warthog a 250 swc. I hit him between the last 2 ribs. He was quartering away and the boolit ranged forward and up, and took out his spine. He dropped like a rock.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/Dan_Warthog.jpg

My second warthog was a birthday present from my PH. We went out for 2 days and just had a blast, stalking warthogs. We made numerous stalks, including closing to 25 yards on a pair of medium sized ones that were rooting and had no idea we were there. Finally found this big old boy, and I let him have it through the shoulders with the 35 remmy marlin levergun. 190 grain Ranch Dog boolit broke both shoulders and tore the top of his heart off. He went straight down too.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/crowshooter223/BirthdayHog.jpg

The Kudu was shot for meat for the lodge. They had been visiting a waterhole that was being baited for leopard and hyena, so my PH didn't want any gunfire. It was my first crossbow hunt ever. Shot was at 27 yards. Bolt took both shoulders and went through the top of her heart, before exiting and smashing on a rock 20 yards behind her. She only went 40 yards before crashing. You can actually hear her fall in the video clip I posted.

runfiverun
07-01-2012, 01:19 AM
well those pictures should sure clear up a lot of questions about what will do what.
the 45 colt will handle pigs and deer and even cow elk quite handily.
once again, that impala is awesome.

dk17hmr
07-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Nicely done Dan!

How fast are those 250gr SWC's moving?

Matt_G
07-01-2012, 07:35 AM
My PH became a beleiver in cast BOOLITS that evening! Gemsbok have a reputation for being hard to put down. He said his 375 didn't drop them much quicker than my little 45 trapper did.

Outstanding job Dan! Always nice to hear of another convert. Maybe he will even buy a mould or three and start experimenting.
Sounds and looks like you had a fantastic time. That video of the Impala is the definition of "pole axed".

DanWalker
07-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Nicely done Dan!

How fast are those 250gr SWC's moving?

They are running 1450 fps.
Boolits are LEE 250 grain,cast from ACWW and a bit of dental X-ray lead. Only reason I used the Xray lead is because my dentist gave it to me and asked me to.

Boolits were dip lubed using Liquid Xlox thinned with mineral spirits.
Load was 18.5 grains of 2400.

Load for the 35 remington was 35 grains of H335 under a Ranch Dog 190 grainer, cast from the same alloy and lubed the same way. They are running right at 2000 fps.

On game performance with both these boolits was perfect. I smashed some big bones with them, and saw no indication of fragmentation. My PH was skeptical about boolits, due to previous bad experiences with clients shooting boolits that were too hard and shattered on bones.

I'm certain my PH will be using cast boolits soon. He just got a reloading setup (Lee classic cast turret press). Ammo in SA is ridiculously expensive. He paid $25 per shot for 458 Lott ammo. I'm sending him over some hammer boolits as soon as the GB for the mold comes in. I doubt he will be hunting cape buffalo with them, but I helped him work up a load with the African equivalent of 2400 powder and a 350 grainer, that would work great on plains game.

TXGunNut
07-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow! Awesome hunt, glad you're home safe. Thanks for sharing the pics and videos.:cbpour:

Lefty SRH
07-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Awesome trip Dan, congrats. Personally Im happy to hear that simple ACWW alloy is hard enough to do the job. I plan on hunting with my .45 colt and hopefully my .35 Remmy Marlin this winter, of coarse it won't be African plains game.

Ranch Dog
07-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Very cool Dan! Great job, both as a hunter and an ambassador for hunting with cast bullets!

bigboredad
07-16-2012, 07:17 PM
if the story of Dan's trip doesn't make a guy want just get up and go to Africa nothing will. Thanks Dan for the report and for sharing Dan's excellent adventure.

I do have a question about the .45 250's were they the swc or the rnfp and do you think the lee 300gr would have exited the animals I know that's kind of impossible to answer til you do it. Again thanks for sharing

DanWalker
07-18-2012, 10:30 AM
if the story of Dan's trip doesn't make a guy want just get up and go to Africa nothing will. Thanks Dan for the report and for sharing Dan's excellent adventure.

I do have a question about the .45 250's were they the swc or the rnfp and do you think the lee 300gr would have exited the animals I know that's kind of impossible to answer til you do it. Again thanks for sharing
Here's a pic of the boolits I was shooting: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=135266&page=4

I'm sure the 300 grainers would have exited. The 2 boolits that didn't exit, were both expanded, and found just under the skin on the offside of the animals. I'm guessing that a slightly harder alloy would've exited also.

bigboredad
07-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Here's a pic of the boolits I was shooting: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=135266&page=4

I'm sure the 300 grainers would have exited. The 2 boolits that didn't exit, were both expanded, and found just under the skin on the offside of the animals. I'm guessing that a slightly harder alloy would've exited also.

well either way you should be very and proud of the job they did for you. It's refreshing to see that you can actually kill something without using the monster handgun calibers and the plain old boring .45 colt can still get the job done. Thanks for the pics

mstarling
07-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Dan,

Great trophies!

Must admit that in my three trips I did not take a single cast boolit, and always took at least one rifle for which I could locally source ammo just in case the airlines lost my ammo (which they did once!).

I liked Eland meat > Gemsbock > Kudu > Cape Buffalo = Wildebeast > Impala. Sure hated to have to leave all that Eland there!

Glad you had a wonderful time. How you have the addiction and will find it NECESSARY to go back.

Just one thought for you ... cast boolits are OK in their right place. Just don't consider using them for Cape Buffalo. Some folks have done it, but it really is just a stunt!