PDA

View Full Version : What A Way To Spend Father Days

44 WCF
06-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Talked to my Dad, kids called, Wife is in Pennsylvania visiting our daughter, , neighbor kids washed my truck for a buck, I'm home alone in Utah reloading, sizing bullets cast last weekend, watching Nascar and Formula 1 race in Indy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,excuse me, have to wash up, grill is hot, T-bone is ready, peppers and onions are seasoned, beer is chilled.

NVcurmudgeon
06-19-2005, 06:24 PM
No kids have called yet, but they usually figure it out late in the evening. My bride framed a greeting card showing a stressed looking cat saying "arrrrgh!" (my favorite expression.) The picture is now hanging next to the gun safe in my shop. She also wrapped up six of the bright red bins that In and Out serves burgers in, and signed a card from the dog. These bins are perfect for use when loading large lots of brass and she knew I really wanted some. I have no idea how she conned In and Out out of their bins. This morning she looked out in the inner back yard and said, "what's that?" I looked, grabbed the .22 Brno, and added the scalp of another "rat" (ground squirrel) to my tepee pole. After church, we picked up a BBQ ribs to go dinner, which along with Dos Equis beer is awaiting completion of my afternoon nap. I must have died and gone to heaven!

BruceB
06-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Well, from reading your posts, there sure must be WORSE ways to spend Father's Day.

(We may be in serious danger of starting another beer thread...watch it!)

I'm slurping back an icy Weinhard's Special Reserve brewski while contemplating my lazy day so far. I keep feeding this stuff to Curmudgeon when he visits, but it looks like the seeds are falling on barren ground, so far.

Got home from work at 0700 this mornig, and found "The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson" waiting for me, which is a book I've REALLY wanted to have for some time. Also, because of my determination to get serious with field-position rifle shooting in preparation for my hunt this fall, my ladies had obtained a Dillon Shooter's Mat for me. It's waterproof on the bottom, densely padded, has non-slip areas for the elbows, and rolls into a very neat package with both a carrying handle and a sling for toting it around. One MORE piece of equipment for Der Schuetzenwagen!

And some guys get ties or socks....

After a power nap, I loaded up some IMR4831/LBT 234 loads as per Bass's directions for the .338 M70. I started low at 60 grains and loaded at two-grain increments up to 66 grains, using water-dropped boolits 'cuz that's what I had available. Ten rounds at each charge level, and I'll try them out tomorrow. I did cast about a thousand air-cooled .338 LBTs yesterday, but haven't lube-sized any as yet.

Called my own Dad down Rancho Bernardo (CA) way as well, and found he's well and awaiting the next earthquake with perfect calm.

Now for another beer while I anticipate my own monster serving of baby back pork ribs...I LOVE pork ribs! Maybe I'll go lube a few of them nekkid boolits while I wait.

locutus
06-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Went to church trhis morning. Had a prime rib for lunch. Took a nap this afternoon. Had fried catfiosh for dinner, and am currently working on my second glass of single malt Scotch!

Life is good! :mrgreen:

JSH
06-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Well I did nothing today in the way of manual labor. Breakfast at the gal friends folks with my kids then home. Off to Cabela's as it was his B-day last week and let him see if he could find anything of use in their. Believe it or not no luck in Cabela's. Off to an estate auction with a few guns listed. A Model 12 Remigton caught my eye and the youngster was interested also.
Well every father that got cash today must have been there. $375 for one of the Ruger 10/22's with the factory bull barrel. The model 12 went for $225 but was actually a $150 gun, had been refurbed and was missing a few things. No bargains.
Then as to supper, the grill and some T bones sounded good but firing up the grill was no reason to sweat, we all voted and had Mexican.
Now just thinking about what I should coulda done......................
Jeff

Shuz
06-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Wifey is in North Carolina packing her folks "treasures" before moving them out here to Washington state. They are in their late 80's, so you can imagine they are of little help. Thankfully we gots one of those cell phone dealies so as I can talk to her ever day!

My son and his two boys aged 6 and 8 came up today after we all went to church and we did some shootin'. The boys each fired two shots from a 572 Remington Fieldmaster that they will inheirit some day. We figgered that was enuf to whet their appetites, and it was. My son sighted in his Rem 700 in .300 Rem Ultra Mag. I just installed a new Leupold 3x9 scope for him. Load was 101g of WC 860 and a Sierra 180g FB. Final group was 3 shots measuring .645 inches at 100 yds. Velocity average was 3174fps with an SD of 6. Needless to say we were pleased! We then fired some factory Rem 180g Sirrocco's. Velocity was similar at 3180fps, but the group opened up to 1.465, and the SD was 17. We are gonna stick with the WC 860 loads, but we needed to get some extra brass, so we(he) bought the factory rounds!

Now we both believe, that for the moose and elk we hunt, this caliber is really overkill, but he got such a good deal on the gun and mounts, that we thought we'd giver a try. If you can stand the recoil(he only fired 11 rounds total), not too bad says he! It ain't a bad choice. He'd still rather shoot a .30-06 tho!

We then went down to his place for a dinnner of moose roast, and a few brewskis. It don't get any better than this(unless Momma were home too!)

9.3X62AL
06-20-2005, 02:14 PM
3 of my 4 daughters--and both of Marie's girls--were on scene for Father's Day at my house. A LOT of banter and nonsense......it seems that age 50 produces a wellspring of smart-aleck commentary about being old and decrepit. Mostly we just hung around and chatted--two of my 3 girls present live out of state--and messed around in the garden a bit.

We did dinner at a recently-opened Italian restaurant in town--GREAT food, and some microbrews to assist digestion. Everybody cleared out by about 9 P.M., and I would have to say that yesterday was likely the best Father's Day I've ever had.

44man
06-20-2005, 07:26 PM
I want the truth now, how many of you have "T" bones, good beer and scotch when the little woman is home?

Shuz
06-21-2005, 06:45 PM
44man--You wanna know the truth? Well here she goes....When wife is home we often have moose strip loin; or tenderloin steaks,German Style noodles and a salad. Of course this is washed down with Myer's rum and Coke. When she's gone, like she is now, down in North Carolina helping her folks, the menu is the same; but the beverage of choice is Red Hook- India pale ale or Bridgeport- India pale ale! Ahhhhh!

7br
06-22-2005, 07:16 AM
I'm getting on this thread a little late. I took my oldest (10 yr old) son to Cub Scout camp on Sunday. Got back Tuesday afternoon. First evening of camp was pretty laid back. After a good supper, we fished the spring fed pond. Jake decided regular worms were too much of a mess and put on a plastic worm with a bobber. I told him that there was no way he was going to catch a fish with that rig. Naturally, he proved me wrong and landed 2 bass that went about 1 1/2 lbs. We wandered back to the campsite and contemplated the day with a couple of ice cold IBC Root Beers. This is a tradition that harks back to when I took him squirrel hunting when he was five. Not many things better than kicking back with your kids after a hot day. Second day was full of activities, but the camp director had enough sense to allow the kids some free time to be kids. After supper, we hit the pond again. Jake watched me work a plastic worm the way I had been taught and picked up the technique pretty quickly. ( He now knows what the term Texas Rig means.) Once again, he had to show me up and caught a really pretty 3lb bass. Now, a 3.5 lb bass is not the biggest fish in the world, but it sure bent his rod in two. The way he whooped and hollared, you would have thought he had caught the state record and not a 5lb bass. We wandered back up the the nurses station for our allergy medication carrying our IBC Rootbeers. One of the junior counselors offered to trade us a couple of bottles of Pepsi for our Rootbeer. I explained that it was a tradition and Rootbeers were the only way to celebrate catching a 7lb bass. The counselor then offered 4 Pepsi's for our Rootbeer. I looked a Jake and he shook his head and said "No". Some things you just don't trade.

kenjuudo
06-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Mark-
You are a true fisherman!!!

jim

Jumptrap
06-22-2005, 11:36 AM
7br,

Nothing like celebrating a 29 pound bass with a cold root beer...I prefer mine made with hops and barley....draft variety. No sireee, nothing like sitting back with a cold Amber Bock and telling the fellers how my kid caught a 33 pound largemouth and after round 3 of those tall 22 ounce mugs, the menfolks get to wondering how we hauled all those fish away after me and the boy seined that little 30 acre pond. I told them we only kept the bass that weighed over 40 pounds and threw the little ones back. hehehehe!

You told a great story.....your boy will never forget those days spent with dad.

44man
06-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Shuz, you know how to hurt a guys feelings! Got to get a drink now (cheapest stuff I could find too.)

MT Gianni
06-22-2005, 09:45 PM
I had a great time watching my son Matt graduate from Montana Youth Challenge [ a program for HIgh School dropouts who don't fit the system] on Saturday. He recieved his GED with Presidential fitness, Iron Cadet and Leadership awards. We then came home whre he packed up Sunday and moved to Trout Creek MT with a job welding and refitting a lumber mill. He then is hired to work at the mill for a decent if not great wage and is doing well. His graduation presents were Savage 110 30-06, Ruger 10-22 and a Winchester 1200. All in all he has the opportunity for a lot better start than I had which is all most of us really want. He may go to college in a couple of years but this will let him know a lot better about what he doesn't want to do.
Lisa my 20 year old daughter was in town after a road trip selling Kirby vacuums. All in all a good day.Gianni

DanWalker
06-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Spent the weekend with the inlaws. We headed up to Cody so's I could show them the Buffalo Bill Historical center, and the cheesey night rodeo.
We got up monday morning and drove up the Chief Joseph scenic highway to
Cooke city Montana. We entered Yellowstone via the north east entrance and spent the day driving around seeing the sights. Yesterday was more of the same, followed by a nice drive home. They got a kick out of seeing snow in June. There was 3ft drifts off of the sides of the road on top of togwotee pass.
Life is good......

NVcurmudgeon
06-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Gianni, thanks for the update on Matt. He was a most impressive young'n at the Winnemucca shot a few years ago. Here's hoping and praying that he goes from success to more success.