PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 mold & sizer?

Slinger
12-01-2011, 02:03 PM
A new friend of mine has a newer Marlin 1895 45/70. Since I cast & he doesn't I offered to get a mould and cast him up some bullets for plinking & also possibly deer, feral pigs/hogs, etc.
I'm looking at the Lee 457-340-F. Is it a good choice accuracy-wise for the 1895? If so, what diameter Lyman sizer do you fellas suggest? Will the bullets come out of the mould large enough to size say .459" if I use straight W-W or #2? Lastly, what # nose punch in Lyman do you use for this mould...191 maybe?
Thanks for any help you can give me. I want to order all of this at once and get to it. Perhaps I can teach him the ropes as I've been casting mainly handgun bullets for alot of years but not played with rifle much at all. If I get him interested, he can cast for me using my equipment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crawdaddy
12-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I use that mold and the 450 grain Lee mold in my 1895 M. It is the 450 Marlin but basically the same gun.

I use the Lee 457 sizer ( sizes to .458) for my cast boolits as well as the jacketed bullets I make out of 44 mag cases.

Accuracy is great with the jacketed an ok with cast. I get 3.5 inch groups at 100 yards with cast and 1.5 with the jacketed.

I used the boolits out of the 450 gr mold (dropped at 463 gr) in my muzzleloader aand dropped two Mulies this year. I have complete confidence that 340 grain would do the same. I wouldnt hesitate to use them on hogs.

mpmarty
12-01-2011, 02:15 PM
In my two Marlin '95s and Ruger #1 I have quit using any cast other than the Ranch Dog 350gr tumble lube and use them as cast at .460 Excellent accuracy and no leading at all. The Number 1 Ruger has a very short throat or no throat at all and I have to size the boolits to .457 in order to get them to chamber. Perhaps not a throat problem at all but a very tight chamber. I lube with 50/50 JPW LLA and am quite happy with the results.

Jailer
12-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm running a 405gr from Accurate Molds as cast at .460 with excellent results with 28gr of 4198 .7gr dacron filler and equal parts beeswax, parafin, and vaseline for lube.

You can skip the filler for plinking loads and it still shoots good. I just get less spread in velocity with the filler.

softpoint
12-01-2011, 08:56 PM
The Lee 340 shoots pretty good in my rifles, although it's a little undersize. A Ranchdog 350 grain and his sizer kit would serve you quite well, I'd think.:castmine:

Slinger
12-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all your advice fellas! I've seen a trend in the last several years or longer that bothers me. Some companies depart from a standard, such as bore diameter and cause problems for the consumer. It used to be that you bought the mould of your choice and correct sizer die and away you went. But, that was evidently too easy. I think I'll buy the cheap Lee mould and try the Beagle method of increasing bullet diameter.If it doesn't work, I'm only out $18 or so.............

white eagle
12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I am using an Accurate molds in the weight range you mentioned
a 340 gr very accurate
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=46-340B-D.png

Slinger
12-03-2011, 11:12 AM
I am using an Accurate molds in the weight range you mentioned
a 340 gr very accurate
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=46-340B-D.png

What is the "as cast" diameter & what alloy are you using? Gun(s)? I hate to put $88 in a mould that I won't be using for me. Sounds cheap, I know, but my friend just wants some relatively inexpensive slugs to shoot in the guide gun and he doesn't have alot of money to put out. He's young, just getting started in life.........

Maven
12-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Slinger, The Lee 340gr. FP is very accurate in my Marlin #336 (Microgroove) as well + it casts large enough for me to size it to .459" to suit my rifle's tastes. Btw, that mould is prodigal in its consumption of alloy and consequently, the lighter CB is a bit easier on your shoulder than heavier designs.

Slinger
12-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Slinger, The Lee 340gr. FP is very accurate in my Marlin #336 (Microgroove) as well + it casts large enough for me to size it to .459" to suit my rifle's tastes. Btw, that mould prodigal in its consumption of alloy and consequently, the lighter CB is a bit easier on your shoulder than heavier designs.

Yeah, that's why a was looking at the 340-350 gr. range. I have a 12" 45-70 T/C Contender bbl. and shot the 300-450 grainers in it. Recoil is alot worse the heavier you go, but especially so in a handgun. The young fella will be shooting it alot more than me, but there's no sense in punishing the shoulder needlessly and causing a "soft shoulder", like I have. I'll work up some nice, pleasant shootingloads for him, once I get a mould.

DLCTEX
12-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I cast the Lee 340 gr. 459 boolit for a Guide gun and a friends Handi Rifle with good results in both. I use SR 4759 powder and friend uses Trail Boss. I like the Ranch Dog 350 and 420 boolits better for hunting due to the gas check for higher velocities. If you would like a few to try before deciding shoot me a PM.

Slinger
12-04-2011, 10:37 AM
DLCTEX- Thank you for the kind offer, but I'm going to order a Lee mould tomorrow morning. I do have a couple questions for you though.....What diameter are the bullets out of your Lee mould as cast? I take it you are using a .459" sizer? Are you using a Lyman #191 top punch?

DLCTEX
12-04-2011, 12:50 PM
It was dropping .4585-.459 but I "Leemented" it to drop .460+ which seems to work better in the Marlin. I size and lube in a RCBS with a die I opened to .460. I also lube, check and size the Ranch Dog boolits the same way. The RD boolits work well sans check at lower velocities. As to the top punch, I modified one with epoxy to fit the large meplat of the RD and it works for the Lee as well.

Slinger
12-04-2011, 12:57 PM
DLCTEX- Thanks for the information. That's what I was after. I've Leemented two or three Lee molds, so that's not a problem. I think I'll buy the .459" sizer and open it up .001" if I have too. Can you explain how you did the custom nose epoxy thing or direct me to a sticky on how to do it?
Man, you've been a BIG help!!!! I really do appreciate it.

lbaize3
12-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I use the Lee 405 grain hollow base bullet mold and it drops at .460. I simply tumble lube it and load it for my 45-70 rifles. I do not use anything more than trapdoor loads and there is no leading and excellent accuracy.

Slinger
12-04-2011, 02:32 PM
I use the Lee 405 grain hollow base bullet mold and it drops at .460. I simply tumble lube it and load it for my 45-70 rifles. I do not use anything more than trapdoor loads and there is no leading and excellent accuracy.

That was my second choice if I couldn't get the 340 gr. mould to work. Trapdoor loads or under are all I'm interested in. I've got some other hunting loads that work well, but for deer and playing around mild ones are good. Thanks!

Slinger
12-26-2011, 10:48 AM
I got the Lee 340gr. mould and cast up some slugs using straight w-w. I decided to use them as cast @ .358". Put some Lee Liquid Alox on the shanks only. Loaded some up with a light load of H-4198. Shooting off of sandbags, 5 shots went into 1-1/8" @ 45 yds. So, I know the bullets will shoot accurately as cast out of the Marlin Guide Gun. Now on to finding a lighter recoiling powder/loadthat's as accurate. Oh, I also shot 3 slugs with one wrap of teflon tape and then a coat of Lee Liquid Alox. Accuracy was not as good for whatever reason. Thought you fellas might be interested.

Westwindmike
12-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Slinger,
I cast the Lee 340's and they come out at .460 with straight WW's. I lube them with LLA and load them as cast with 25gr of 5744. They chrono at 1200fps. And don't kick a lot.

I dropped a doe at 90 yards about 3 weeks ago with this load. Dropped her in her tracks. I'm shooting a Marlin 1895ss with the longer barrel.

high standard 40
12-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Slinger,
If you decide to use the lubrisizer for that Lee 340, the top punch you will need is an RCBS #424
I found that info here....http://www.castpics.net/subsite/TopPunches/Lee.html

DLCTEX
12-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Slinger: I apologize for the delay in answering your question about adapting a top punch with epoxy. It is simple. Put a clean top punch in the lubesizer for the caliber you are using, lube the nose of the boolit lightly, place a dab of mixed epoxy in the nose punch, gently lower the ram and let the nose punch rest on the boolit until it hardens. Trim excess ooze out. It can be returned to original or changed by heating the punch. Buckshot sells a kit containing oversize punches and epoxy to custom fit any boolit.

Slinger
12-31-2011, 05:10 PM
An Update- I got the Lee mold in 340 gr. Cast up some slugs in W-W. I didn't bother to slug the barrel but instead decided just to shoot the bullets "as cast" with some Lee liquid alox on them. I used a light load of H-4198 and got a 1-5/8", 5-shot group @ 45 yards with the gun bagged-in. Why 45 yds. Cause that's where I could see the aimingpoint well. My eyes are old and I use some trick aiming pointS on my targets to be able to repeatedly aim at the same point.
Anyway, thanks for all of your help, Fellas! Happy New Year!
Sorry I posted this info twice.....Too much going on with the holidays, getting too old, forget where I am, who I am, and why I was!