PDA

View Full Version : Dross on dipper?

Sneakfoot
12-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I got rid of my old Lyman furnace, and bought a new Lee Mag. melter. Stopped using the large ladle I had to pour the lead and bought a Lyman dipper, and last be most important sent the Lyman mold back and bought a mold from Tom at Accurate. Now I am very happy with the results of my casting. Boolits are very nice, but I do have a question. I have fluxed the lead with beeswax before casting but for some reason the dipper seems to collect a lot of dross. What is it I need to do to keep this from happening?

ku4hx
12-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Mostly I don't worry about it, but when it does get a mite heavy I let mine sit in the molten alloy until it's good and hot. Then wipe it off with an old piece of heavy cloth. Ever so often a good brushing with an old drill mounted wire brush [after wiping] brightens it right up.

geargnasher
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
The Lymand dippers do get a bit drossy. If you want to clean it, dunk it in the molten alloy until it's nice and hot, then put on your welding glove, get a handfull of sawdust in the palm of the glove, and roll the (empty) dipper head around in the sawdust. As the sawdust smolders and scorches the dross will disappear and leave the ladle a nice clean grey color. Treat the inside the same way, put a spoonfull of sawdust in the cavity of the hot ladle and smear it around in there with a stick.

Gear

williamwaco
12-01-2011, 04:12 PM
The Lymand dippers do get a bit drossy. If you want to clean it, dunk it in the molten alloy until it's nice and hot, then put on your welding glove, get a handfull of sawdust in the palm of the glove, and roll the (empty) dipper head around in the sawdust. As the sawdust smolders and scorches the dross will disappear and leave the ladle a nice clean grey color. Treat the inside the same way, put a spoonfull of sawdust in the cavity of the hot ladle and smear it around in there with a stick.

Gear

I do the same thing a different way. I flux with parrafin. I use the ladle to stir the flux while the wax is still melted on the top of the metal, I stir around and around and up and down, the wax will clear the dross off the ladle and keep it away for a while.

stubshaft
12-01-2011, 04:18 PM

I do the same thing a different way. I flux with parrafin. I use the ladle to stir the flux while the wax is still melted on the top of the metal, I stir around and around and up and down, the wax will clear the dross off the ladle and keep it away for a while.

I do the same thing but use old lube instead. I also give it a healthy coating of lube after casting to keep it from rusting and to kick start the next session.

After reading Gears suggestion I gotta give that one a try too.

mrbill2
12-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I bought some Frankford Arsenal mold release but never liked it in the mold. Tried it on the ladle, WORKS GREAT !! Clean the ladle before spraying.

mooman76
12-01-2011, 09:52 PM
I wipe a little bull plate lube on the ladle with a q-tip. Doesn't eliminate it but cuts it down abit.

geargnasher
12-01-2011, 09:56 PM
I might have to try Mrbill's method!

I use sawdust because the waxy stuff always seemed to burn and stick on the ladle and built up a mess, even if I left the ladle submerged for a long time. It's amazing how well the sawdust cleans the metal, like scraping the sides of the melting pot with a stick, it seems to remove all the flaky residue in a snap.

Gear

williamwaco
12-02-2011, 12:02 AM
I bought some Frankford Arsenal mold release but never liked it in the mold. Tried it on the ladle, WORKS GREAT !! Clean the ladle before spraying.

Great idea.

This stuff will make a MESS of your molds but I use it to spray my ingot molds. Easier ingot drop and reduces rust.

Sneakfoot
12-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Thanks guys.

mdi
12-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I wipe a little bull plate lube on the ladle with a q-tip. Doesn't eliminate it but cuts it down abit.

I've tried this, Bull Plate, on everything I don't want molten lead to stick to. Works fair-to-middlin' on most items; dipper, mold handle pins/bolts, valve rod, lifting handle on Lee pot, etc...