View Full Version : M Die: some advice please

milprileb
12-01-2011, 08:48 AM
I bought the M die for 9mm.

Upon examination, the stem unscrews and it appears one
could buy and install other stems in different calibers and not have to buy
separate M dies for each caliber.

So I got the 9mm stem, are there 30 caliber, 31 caliber, 45 calibler
stems I can screw on and make best use of this M Die ?

Or .. do I got to order separate M dies for each caliber?

Thank you in advance.

Horace
12-01-2011, 09:38 AM
This is what I have had for 10+ years.

Multi-Expand Charge Die System
Designed to save the pistol reloader time. The hollow expanders allow you to expand the case and drop powder at the same time with your powder measure mounted on top. Fits all standard powder measures.
Includes expander body, hollow expanders for .32, 9mm, 38/.357, l0mm/40 S&W, .41, .44 and .45 plus a non-expanding universal powder drop tube.

WEIGHT: 12 oz | ITEM NUMBER: #7767901 | PRICE: $34.95

Horace

milprileb
12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Horace : does it fit the Lee Pro and Dillon measures which activate
on progressive presses or is it only for hand tossed measures like the
Hornady or RCBS Uniflow type?

Calamity Jake
12-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I don't use "M" die for pistol but do for all boolits in rifle from 222 to 38-55 all done with the short die body and long and short stems, you can order custom expander sizes from Lyman.

A good machinest could make custom "M" die expanders with thru holes for use in the Dillion and simular type powder measures.

MT Gianni
12-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Ther are two M dies and M1 and a M2. One is for rifle length and one for pistol length cases. I own one of each and a button for each caliber I shoot. You will not find the buttons on a rack at Wal-mart, or most LGS. It is an order from Lyman proposition but much better than buying M dies.

I have the Lee tool and it is terrible for 243 & 223.

geargnasher
12-01-2011, 01:15 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=4351

Ziptar
12-01-2011, 08:19 PM
This is what I have had for 10+ years.

Multi-Expand Charge Die System
Designed to save the pistol reloader time. The hollow expanders allow you to expand the case and drop powder at the same time with your powder measure mounted on top. Fits all standard powder measures.
Includes expander body, hollow expanders for .32, 9mm, 38/.357, l0mm/40 S&W, .41, .44 and .45 plus a non-expanding universal powder drop tube.

WEIGHT: 12 oz | ITEM NUMBER: #7767901 | PRICE: $34.95

Horace

+1 for the Multi-Expand Charge Die.

I've only had one for a few months and it's great! Works just like the M Die. I use it with the Acculine Pistol powder measure.

I also use an M Die but, I only load one caliber so I've not bought any additional plugs. .You can order different plugs from Lyman customer service, last I heard they were $8.00 each.

The Multi-Expand Charge Die is available at Midway, Midsouth, and Natchez for ~$25.00. Since it comes with an assortment of plugs it's a better deal and it'll work just fine without a powder measure attached.

Horace : does it fit the Lee Pro and Dillon measures which activate
on progressive presses or is it only for hand tossed measures like the
Hornady or RCBS Uniflow type?

It is not case activated.

DLCTEX
12-01-2011, 09:54 PM
I've had the multi expand charge die for years and have never used it. I will have to get it out and put it to work.

gefiltephish
12-01-2011, 10:06 PM
I found that my cast bullets were getting swaged down because the m die expander plug was too small in diameter. Works fine with jacketed.

The 9mm m die comes with the 38AP plug which is too small for cast. The 38P is intended for 38/357 and is about the correct diameter, but it's too long for 9mm. Either cut it shorter and grind a good radius on the nose or have Buckshot (or somebody local) make a plug for you. I had him make one for me without the flaring shoulder for use with a specific seating die, but I wouldn't suggest that otherwise. You just need a plug like you have but with the small diameter about .3555 and the large diameter .360-.361. Mine is .3595 which is just enough, but it would be a little easier to slip the bullet into if it was a smidge larger.