PDA

View Full Version : 300 Blackout AR with Boolits

castblaster
12-01-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm a boolit caster. I have AR-15s. So I got me a 300blk barrel and have been playing around with different boolits and bullets.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6cd08c3-f676-a57b.jpg

Left is rcbs 30-150-cm on the right is 311-299 Lyman 220gr as cast.

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6cd08c3-f719-4754.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6cd08c3-f730-7b6c.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6cd08c3-f74f-8932.jpg

I'm on the group buy for the 247g whisper ( plain base) they say next oct befor it runs.

Has anyone tried this boolit with a plain base (247g) in an AR. and what did u think.

No groups yet, still to windy. But it did cycle with Accurate 1680.

Matt Hooper

x101airborne
12-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I ran with my Dad's 300 whispers both in full auto supressed and semi auto supressed. I never went as heavy as you are talking because we had to learn the hard way that at lower velocities you need more twist in the barrel to stabilize them. So, just erring on the side of caution, we kept the 220 grain maximum for the lead boolits just as the 220 grain max for jacketed. This may be flawed thinking, but it is what we did. We already ruined one supressor. Not taking a chance on two. I used solo 1250, once fired lapua cases, straight WW +2% air cooled, sized to .311, alox lube, no filler, CCI primers. My ar uppers were fitted with oversized adjustable gas blocks and custom buffers and springs. Plain base was plenty fine for our needs. Did not notice a whole lot of difference in the factory SS ammo and my handloads. Still had to be shot with precision, range was kept short (100 yards and under). And no problems going through the supressor. Loads were developed without the supressor first, then after load development the supressor was added back in. Since we live near to sea level, we found that 1125 fps without a supressor gave us right at 1080 with the supressor. Average groups ran around an inch. Some a little more, some a little less. I was just starting casting and did not know if my flyers were my castings, my lube, my loading method, or what. Although when compared to 55.00 a box for lapua SS match, my 3.00 box of shells shot pretty dang good.

To tide you by, if you have any FMJ's with the open base, you can load em backwards for a really effective SS load. For some reason, they shot flatter than any other bullet we tried.

Jailer
12-01-2011, 09:12 PM
X101airborne, what was the twist on the barrel of that gun?

castblaster
12-01-2011, 09:44 PM
X101airborne

I'm very interested in your baffle strike story as I am filling out my form 1 to build a surpressor. What twist was your whisper barrel? My blackout is 1 in 8". Waiting on the form 1 will give me lots of time to consider my build.

I am also interested in the solo1250 data for the whisper/blackout. I have 16lb. Of it and data is hard to come by. I called the company and they gave me data on 9mm, 38spc, 40, and 45acp.

Thanks for your response it gives me some new things to think about.

x101airborne
12-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I will have to get my notes, but one thing that was important is we drilled the primer holes on all the cases. I forgot to mention that earlier. I did not strike the supressor on my whisper, I hit it on the savage 308 integral. Just didnt want to repeat it. My whisper barrel is a 1 in 9, but the savage is a 1 in 10. I will check my notes tomorrow and PM ya later tomorrow with the data. But be aware..... It worked in my rifle. If you use it, you take the responsibility.

x101airborne
12-01-2011, 10:14 PM
This story is mine copied from the thread 300 blk supressed:

You should not have any trouble with leading in the supressor. What you need to watch is spin drift inside the supressor. Typically a supressor is set up with tolerances that allow a specific range of boolit or bullet weights. Leaving that criteria, you do run the possible risk of a boolit taking out the end of the supressor. My supressed (integral) Savage 10 was manufactured to allow bullets of 180 - 250 grains. The shop I got it from said I could use any factory ammo through it. (Thank God it has a lifetime warranty). Out of the standard lapua 220 SS load, I grabbed a box of factory remington 150's and went to the range. I have used this load many times and is great piggy getters. Ought to be real nice supressed, right? Wrong. The first shot I noticed a little spittle hit me and a funny sound came from the weapon. Checking the rifle over and ejecting the spent round, I noticed the END OF THE FRICKEN SUPRESSOR WAS GONE!!!! I sounded like Acchmed the dead terrorist!!! What the............................................... .................................................. .................................... happened? Took it back to the man with the box of ammo and he said be back in two weeks. Came back and he had replaced the supressor. Then he told me that was the third one and he had wrecked another to find out why it happened. His supressors work incredibly well and are very tight tolerance. Hence how the spin of the boolit sending the round into the baffels. Food for thought.