PDA

View Full Version : 221 Fireball

Rusty W
11-30-2011, 08:20 PM
I have been looking for a new cartridge to play with. I have .223, .22-250, .243, 7-08, .308, .30-06, 30/30, & 45/70 that I shoot now. The first 5 are Savage bolt guns & I switch bbls around on 3 actions depending on what I want to shoot. I've been reading a little about the Fireball and am interested in it for shooting paper, water bottles, crows, maybe a coyote if one gets close enough. I usually use the .22-250 for long range work (3-400yds) mainly because I've shot it the most & am comfortable w/it. The Fireball will mainly be used for target work but what got my attention is how efficient it is. Just a little powder pushes a 40gr bullet over 3k fps. I was wondering if anyone has used cast boolits in one. I've been looking at the CZ527 & the Rem.700 but could also have a bbl. made for the Savage. I understand there will be feeding issues since it so short but loaded one at a time it wouldn't be a problem. I could have a 1-12 or 1-14 twist, 20-22" long, hvy. sporter or magnum contour, (still want it light enough to carry), but have no experiance w/small caliber cast boolits. It would pull double duty, cast & jacketed, be rather quiet compared to my .223 & I could reload to 22mag velocity w/lead.
Anyone have any pointers on what to do or what "not" to do? If I have a bbl made to my specs. what would a good double duty chamber spec. be? I know the .223 uses a Wylde chamber for the nato & std. crtg. Would a std. spec. chamber work just a good?

stubshaft
12-01-2011, 06:25 AM
I played with cast boolits out of my original XP-100 and was disappointed in it's performance. It did not group well at all even down to 22 mag velocities (lots of air space left in the case). The down side was that it did have a 10 1/2" barrel, but that didn't stop 40gr - 52gr j-words from grouping 3/4"@100yds. For a truly efficient cast/j-word combo the lowly K-Hornet gets my vote with the 218 Mashburn Bee a very close second.

kir_kenix
12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I've had several 221's on Savage actions (single shot and repeaters). My fireballs feed great from the stock magazine boxes. I personally prefer the 14 twist for lead, but have shot 12:1 and 9:1 with satisfying results in various .22 rifles.

Quality and correct hardness of boolits is deffinetly the deciding factor in any caliber, but defects and alloy seem especially important once you get below .257. Good luck and have fun with your new toy!

Centaur 1
12-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I have a cool idea for you since you like the 221 fireball, it's called 6X35mm TSWG. It's a .221 fireball that is necked up to 6mm, bullet will do 2450 fps out of a 10" barrel. The cartridge was developed by Knight's Armament Company for thier PDW, and ammo is loaded by Hornady.
It's a really cool caliber and I help design the weapon when I worked in the R&D machine shop.
http://www.knightarmco.com/pdw.html

45-70 Chevroner
12-02-2011, 12:52 AM
I shoot a contender with a 223 super 14, but I used to have a 221 fireball 10' octogon barrel. I really liked it but got the bug to get the 223. I wish I had kept the 221. It was a lot more efficient! If I remember right it shot a little better than the 223 with cast boolits. My problem with the 221 FB at the time (1975) was cases, they cost a lot more than mil. spec. 223's. If I ever find one in a super 14" and it's the right price I will get it.

BarryinIN
12-09-2011, 11:45 PM
I have two .221 Fireballs (Firesball?)- an XP-100 and a rebarreled Rem 600 with a 21" McGowen barrel. I think the rifle is a 1-14 twist, but I had it made over 20 years ago so don't recall for sure now. I thought that little action, 21" barrel, and cartridge would make a neat "walking around groundhog gun".

When I started casting, I thought the .221 would be fun with cast, but I have only got around to shooting a single load through it. I just haven't got around to trying more. I tried the Lyman 225415 (the only .22 mould I have) and AA2015. The only basis for that powder choice was seeing it in the equipment data of a Fouling Shot match report and thinking it sounded as good as any.

I can't find my notebook of data and range results right now (which is driving me crazy), so I can't give you any specifics. I remember it did fine and warrants more testing, but I could probably live with that powder/bullet if I had to. I seem to recall the velocity was higher than I expected, but it was not a problem or anything, just a little more than expected.

MikeS
12-10-2011, 03:34 AM
I can't help with load data, or anything, just wanted to say thanks for jogging my memory. I had an XP-100 with it's plastic stock many years ago! I had a scope on it, and it was probably the ugliest handgun I've ever had! Don't remember what ever happened to it. Using factory ammo it was accurate as I recall.