PDA

View Full Version : Shipping components to Australia

tomme boy
11-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know what or if there are any restrictions for shipping reloading components to Australia? Bullets, dies, ect......

P.K.
11-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Does anyone know what or if there are any restrictions for shipping reloading components to Australia? Bullets, dies, ect......

Not a clue, you can try here though:

http://australia.shipping-international.com/customs/

heathydee
11-30-2011, 07:56 PM
I have bought dies , moulds and reloading presses recently . Freight stings a bit though . I recently bought a new MEC 600 Junior shotshell press . Cost 145 bucks US plus 110 or so freight . Counting foreign transaction fees on my credit card and a handling charge the total cost was 265 dollars Australian . Despite this I still saved over 100 bucks from what the retailers charge .

DLCTEX
11-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Oh my! I thought our prices were high.

Norbrat
11-30-2011, 11:15 PM

In general, shouldn't be a problem.

Dies are just tools.

Bullets MIGHT be an issue, as MIGHT brass, although I have had brass sent through with no problems.

Obviously, don't send anything which can go "Bang" (powders, primers and loaded rounds); these would be restricted anyway with transport regulations.

But also be aware that airgun pellets are considered to be fully functional ammunition as these are ready to use in a "firearm".

The best way to reduce problems is to be a little "imaginative" with the descriptions in the manifest; dies are not "reloading tools" but "press tools", "gas checks" can be "copper pressings - craft supplies", "bullets" can be "metal castings - craft supplies", "brass" can be "brass fittings", "firearm parts" can be "metal parts", "gun barrels" can be "metal tubing".

Don't use any words pertaining to guns or ammo!

Obviously don't try to send any complete firearms or actions.

Postal items are x-rayed if there is a suspicion of illegal or restricted imports.

Even if the package is held in quarantine, as long as the items are not actually illegal, the receiver will be notified and given the chance to provide a permit. These are relatively easy to get but a bit of a hassle.

For example, I've had a gun barrel held in quarantine, but it was quite simple to get the permit from my local police.

But I've never had any issues reloading equipment, moulds, brass, scopes or other shooting accessories.

tomme boy
12-01-2011, 12:23 AM
I think I am just going to pass on this. Not worth the trouble. Thanks anyway guys.

sav300
12-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Tomme Boy.what are you shipping? Most reloading can be shipped. Brass and projectiles will need an import permit.Moulds pots and dies are no problem.Check with customs.

we need people to export to us,some big companies want to charge a minimum of $500 per order.Some will not ship at all.

sav300
12-01-2011, 07:44 AM
NorBrat,our state firearms laws are still so different, is so easy to have trouble.

Norbrat
12-02-2011, 01:55 AM
NorBrat,our state firearms laws are still so different, is so easy to have trouble.

Yeah, but it's Australia Post which does the filtering.

Any questionable items will be quarantined, then it's up to the State police to decide whether to issue the permit or not.

As I said, haven't had any real trouble as long as nothing on the description screams GUNS!!!!!

gew98
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
In general, shouldn't be a problem.

Dies are just tools.

Bullets MIGHT be an issue, as MIGHT brass, although I have had brass sent through with no problems.

Obviously, don't send anything which can go "Bang" (powders, primers and loaded rounds); these would be restricted anyway with transport regulations.

But also be aware that airgun pellets are considered to be fully functional ammunition as these are ready to use in a "firearm".

The best way to reduce problems is to be a little "imaginative" with the descriptions in the manifest; dies are not "reloading tools" but "press tools", "gas checks" can be "copper pressings - craft supplies", "bullets" can be "metal castings - craft supplies", "brass" can be "brass fittings", "firearm parts" can be "metal parts", "gun barrels" can be "metal tubing".

Don't use any words pertaining to guns or ammo!

Obviously don't try to send any complete firearms or actions.

Postal items are x-rayed if there is a suspicion of illegal or restricted imports.

Even if the package is held in quarantine, as long as the items are not actually illegal, the receiver will be notified and given the chance to provide a permit. These are relatively easy to get but a bit of a hassle.

For example, I've had a gun barrel held in quarantine, but it was quite simple to get the permit from my local police.

But I've never had any issues reloading equipment, moulds, brass, scopes or other shooting accessories.

I have a friend in Oz I trade collectible bits with and some types of small arms parts can cause the receiver problems as well as ANY pistol brass. Loaded anything is very very verboten. I was going to send him an old Marbles 303/32 S&W subcal adaptor and he said..oh no don't dare !. I surprised him by squirreling it away in the buttrap of a No1 buttstock I sent him.
I offered to send him some brass as loaded 32 S&W ammo was about $3 AUS per round , but he said no way... it would for sure get him in hot water.

dragonrider
12-02-2011, 01:07 PM
I just recently mailed a boolit mold to Australia, got there just fine.

Ron
12-06-2011, 03:39 AM
I have had no trouble importing moulds and a lead pot from LEE and a Dillon toolhead complete with 9mm dies and a powder thrower. As someone stated earlier, the saving on bringing in stuff from the USA compared to what they want for it here is amazing. I saved in the region of AU$300.00 bringing stuff in from Dillon on what the dealers wanted here. I have also brought in a Storm Lake barrel for my Glock34 with no trouble getting the import permit and no Customs problems when it arrived.

happy7
12-06-2011, 06:23 AM
As far as I know, bullet molds, reloading equipment are ok as far as exporting. But brass, bullets, and other components, and even scopes (like our government is logical) cannot be exported without a very expensive export license. Not only that, but my understanding is that the manufacturer also had to have a license to manufacture for export. That means you can't ship those things anywhere except the good old USA. In other words it can be perfectly legal as far as australia is concerned, but is illegal as far as the USA is concerned. And this makes us safer? How?

Southern Son
12-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Getting stuff in from the US has become more of a hassel from the US end lately. Anything that is gun related and valued at more that $100.00US without shipping is a problem.

Having said that, I have bought moulds for BACO and Steve Brookes, both over $100.00 and NO problems. Actually, I have got a bunch of stuff from BACO and never had any problems, also stuff from Brownells, but that was under the $100.00.

As to the saving money by importing myself. I just got a stock for a rifle from Boydes. All up, less that $150.00AU, including shipping. The cheapest wood or laminate stock I could find in Australia was nearly double that! I have heard shops argue that we don't pay any tax when we bring it in, but I would be happy to pay someone GST onn that stock, and I would still be so far in front, it isn't funny.