PDA

View Full Version : First I ever heard, double feed blowup

Buckshot
02-21-2007, 04:04 AM
...............Last week Brian our rangemaster told me they'd had a M91/30 blow up. After seeing and reading about Jumptrap's escapades in TRYING to blow one up, I asked "Someone really blew up a Mosin-Nagant?" It was then that Brian said well he didn't really blow up the rifle. He said all anyone could figure was that he'd had a round in the chamber and then went to chamber another, which set off the chambered round.

Of the round that was chambered, the bullet cleared the barrel but the shooter and the person on his right were both injured. According to Brian the shooter was bleeding profusely. The other person had some damage done to their left arm. The shooter on the guys left was a paramedic and he immediately began to try and staunch the guys bleeding. Brian said it was a real mess and invited me to go check out the big stain on the concrete :-) I didn't bother, HA!

..................Buckshot

Maineboy
02-21-2007, 06:19 AM
That's something to think about. Probably wouldn't have happened if he'd been using CAST BOOLITS!

PAT303
02-21-2007, 06:35 AM
That same thing has happened here in Australia, a shooter was using a P14 and chambered a round only to pull the bolt back and load a second shell and give it a whack to chamber it when the first round fired. Pays to wear glasses. Pat

monadnock#5
02-21-2007, 10:28 AM
I've heard of a dozen different ways to turn a firearm into tomato stakes and toothpicks, but you're absolutely right, I've never heard of this one.

Treeman
02-21-2007, 10:48 AM
One of the big pluses of the Mauser 98 design was/is the much touted controlled feeding. That massive claw extracter grabs the rim coming out of the magazine and doens't let go until ejection. Still, if you work at it you can chamber a round and feed a second one bullet first into its primer with just about any action. When one goes off with the bolt out of battery It isn't likely to be pretty!

Ricochet
02-21-2007, 12:09 PM
And that is exactly why the Mauser 98 has that feature.

(The Germans actually put it on as a modification of the Gewehr 88 bolt head before Mauser had it, though.)

mooman76
02-21-2007, 12:18 PM
I have casually thought something like that could happen. I have noticed on the Glocks and other pistols of similar design when the the slide is to the rear there is a small rod that sticks out. In a jam situation concevably while trying to get it unjammed you could drive a round into this rod or visa-versa drive the rod into a primmer and set it off. Unlikely yes, but as we know sometimes the unlikely happens!

KCSO
02-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Several of the earlier Mauser designs had an anti double feed device. (on the 88's this was a small spring in the rh bolt head) When bolt guns were new and troops were training with them this was not an uncommon occurance. It really didn't start until the adoption of the spitzer bullet as the RN's that the earlier guns were designed for would not fire, but the sharp pointed fmj's went bang rather readily.

Bob Jones
02-21-2007, 07:12 PM
I have casually thought something like that could happen. I have noticed on the Glocks and other pistols of similar design when the the slide is to the rear there is a small rod that sticks out. In a jam situation concevably while trying to get it unjammed you could drive a round into this rod or visa-versa drive the rod into a primmer and set it off. Unlikely yes, but as we know sometimes the unlikely happens!

It happens regularly. In the pistol training classes I've had they've all stressed to keep your hand clear of the ejection port when clearing the gun for just that reason. I've heard many stories of a round going off while clearing a semiauto.

schutzen
02-21-2007, 10:53 PM
In the early 1970's I witnessed a slam fire of an anti-tank rifle before the breech went into battery (broken firing pin). The breech block handle i.e.: the bolt, split the gunners palm and forearm like a knife. An out of battery firing of a bolt action would result in a similar injury. Let' all pray the shooter recovers sufficiently to return to shooting sports.

Parson
02-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Had a new Browning BLR come in the shop last summer. Same thing happened as described above. 243 if I remember right but he jacked a round on top of a chambered round and set it off. The Browning barrels are not threaded, just a press fit. It blow the barrel and forarm out without damaging anything else, sent it to Browning and they put it back together