PDA

View Full Version : Ugly gun is now ******...

DODGEM250
11-30-2011, 07:49 AM
UGLY GUN IS NOW ******...

I did some refinishing work on one of my muzzleloaders. The stock was a bit ugly and worn, so, I've put a few hours in to bringing it back to new life over the past couple of of days. Metallic Blue finish with all black hardware, butt cap, trigger guard, etc, is done in a black powdercoat. Safety switch designations are flo. orange and red now, it was green / red.

It's a CVA HunterBolt Magnum in .50 caliber. New scope, rings, and bases. Sighted in at 50 yards and is for sale. Also filled the hollow composite stock to add weight and balance to the gun. Lots of new parts as well.

The original composite stock came with a really hideous oak camo finish and it was quite unattractive, so, it had to go. Anything other than what is was before is a better finish. LOL

I am currently looking for a dealer who has the 209 conversion kit in stock and for sale for this rifle. Any positive leads appreciated.

LOL yeah the factory camo was hideous. It was always a ugly creature on my mind, like that old school teacher with the pointy chin and wart on her nose, but, this I knew I could make prettier. The photos, as usual, don't display the actual final product, but, it is nicer in real life.

Here's the actual project background:

I looked at gun and said, "Gun, damn you is ugly" so, I broke everything down, grabbed a can of blue metallic dupli-color out of the wood shop and went to town on this thing. Anything other than what it was has got to be better. I hated this gun, I actually got it in a trade for some guitars I had, I had full intentions of selling this gun, then I decided to keep it for my nephew to use for his 3rd year as a new hunter, I feel he is old enough now to take a muzzleloader, but, I still had the gun for sale. I just jumped up last week and said, "let see what we can do with it". I will sell it if approached with a reasonable offer, but, I have decided to keep it now.

Filling the hollow composite stock with thin set mortar was one hell of a nice modification too, now the gun is perfectly balanced and not front end heavy. I hate cheap hollow composite stocks.

Flinchrock
11-30-2011, 07:19 PM
No offense,,,better you than me....

Buckshot
12-02-2011, 04:02 AM
..............I have no experience with inlines, and it sounds like you've made it into something much more appealing to you, and that's a good thing. One of the guys at the range (Don) was really into the White Systems ML'ers years back. He owned a steel fabrication company and was bucks up and I think he had some kind of financial tie to Doc White, but that's just me assuming from his talking. He had the rangemaster using the RCBS mould for 500gr slugs for paper patching, casting them of straight linotype. Apparently his White inline was designed to use that boolit. The rangemaster was also doing his load development, and at the time it was without a doubt the most accurate ML'er I'd ever seen, as 3 shots at 100 yards would cut each other. IIRC the charge was 120grs of Pyrodex RS, which was the oly BP substitute at the time.

The club was building a retaining wall against the north berm and there was a pile of switch ties there in a pile. Ken (rangemaster) climbed up on the pile and fired the rifle down through 2 ties (they were NEW RR ties), and after moving them out of the way we had to dig down about 10" to find the slug. Looked like it could be shot again :-) Don and his wife went to Africa every year, and he used that White Systems rifle to take quite a few head of big game, including Water Buffalo. Said he never was able to recover a boolit, as all of them exited.

................Buckshot

thunderthud
12-02-2011, 03:59 PM
what the................................

gnoahhh
12-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Gulp...

Alan
12-02-2011, 04:27 PM
duuuuuude.....

smoked turkey
12-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Yep, its blue. Definitely be able to see that one. I was reading my Whitetail mag a while back and it was talking about colors that deer can see. Blue is one of them. I say that to say if you plan on deer hunting with this, it might have been better in camo. However if paper targets are the desired use you have not made a bad choice in color. I just happen to like camo. Just me and just sayin what I like is not necessarily what everyone likes.

Gtek
12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Yunno dem deers gets stuped wid da bling Bro! This is what makes the world go round, Diff strokes,
Diff folks. Your happy and that is ALL that matters in the end. Have fun! Gtek

Sgt Petro
12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
You're kidding me...

Gtek
12-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Try a high end bench centerfire match, you will see colors you have never seen before! Gtek

DODGEM250
12-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Well, I don't want to hurt the feelings of you deer hunters with this lazer blue paint job, BUT, I also refinished my worn out slug gun in the same color last year. I have taken 7 deer with that gun since and not a single one over 30 yards... so, umm... what's the issue again? Experience beats theory every time gents.:D

corey012778
12-02-2011, 11:21 PM
you may have luck with that type paint job hunting?

you said you where going to sale it? I say with in a few weeks after the sale, the buyer will strip the paint, primes and does an new camo paint job, or have it camo dipped. unless they have the same taste in colors as you.

how much you are asking for it?

waksupi
12-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Oh my.

Buckshot
12-03-2011, 02:50 AM
..................DODGEM250, illegitimus non carborundum dude [smilie=1: If you're happy, I'm tickled. :lol:

..............Buckshot

DODGEM250
12-03-2011, 04:25 PM
you may have luck with that type paint job hunting?

you said you where going to sale it? I say with in a few weeks after the sale, the buyer will strip the paint, primes and does an new camo paint job, or have it camo dipped. unless they have the same taste in colors as you.

how much you are asking for it?

With everything I have invested in it right now, less the paint job of course and what I have invested in it from the trade I made to get it, I have it listed for $150.00 I have bought all new parts / accessories since I got it:

* New breech plug / nipple tool
* New nipples
* New breech plug
* New scope
* New bases
* New rings
* New bolt stop screws (3)
* New hard shell case

Like I said, I have pretty much decided to keep it at this point since it has undergone a face lift and is not ugly anymore. I've already had it out hunting and Maryland's two-week ML season is coming up in 2 weeks, it will see the woods and blood soon. Now if I can just find a 209 conversion kit for it I would really be happy.

BTW - this blue finish is not as shiny as it appears in the photo, the flash over-shines it a little.

SmokinBill
12-03-2011, 05:39 PM
WOW I cant help but comment...great color for a SS 396.

When it's black and blue, you can always tell a guy picked the colors.

Glad you like it.:?

frontier gander
12-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Personally, i'd do something along this line and black out the palm swells with this rubber spray on product, but use the black version,
http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/slick-gun-stock-plasti-dip-it.html

You can also shim the 2 piece bolt and use a closed breech plug like the CVA Accura, Wolf, Optima use. Its the Hex head plug for 209 primers. Use that plug and shim either the 2 piece bolt section with some washers or the face of the bolt with a custom spacer epoxied into place. I did this and had a 95 - 98% blow by free system.

P.K.
12-03-2011, 07:59 PM
I was thinking UK fan. ;-) 8-0!

corey012778
12-03-2011, 08:07 PM
$150 is what they went for brand new.

wallenba
12-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Well....you've gone that far, time to add some red and white.

DODGEM250
12-04-2011, 09:27 AM
$150 is what they went for brand new.

This may be true, but, what did it cost new after shipping ???

And I'm also not pricing it as a used gun with used parts... it's all new parts. Doesn't matter what it was worth "new".

You fail to add the other considerations to the asking price. The new guns didn't come with scopes and a new case, nor was the new gun already sighted in.

Any new questions ?

daschnoz
12-06-2011, 09:24 AM
I painted an electric guitar that same color. It was a $200 kit guitar. It doesn't look bad on a guitar. As they say - beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

idahoron
12-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I am thinking that if you like it great. BUT it is not new. If the gun was shot one time it is used. That said you can ask 1.5 million for it. It is your gun and your price.
Ron

bearcove
12-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Just need to find someone that likes blue.

I bought a new CVA magnum .50cal for a $100 not to long ago. Different model but similar. It didn't have the box or anything but was unfired.

starmac
12-07-2011, 09:24 PM
You can take it to a mountain man rondy, most of them guys have old guns and would probably jump at the chance to grab that up. lol

Kidding.

bearcove
12-07-2011, 09:29 PM
One thing to remember. At least you did something!

After that its just a matter of taste.

Flinchrock
12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
One thing to remember. At least you did something!

After that its just a matter of taste.

And it is an IS an inline,,,so it really don't matter...

Crawdaddy
12-11-2011, 09:48 PM
I was thinking UK fan. ;-) 8-0!

8-1... Ugh

Fishman
12-11-2011, 10:22 PM
That paint job is full of win!

Don't worry, its the rest of the world that has no taste. You are a man ahead of your time. :)

PatMarlin
12-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Much better than inline black.

My grandmother would love it. She loved blue. A chick would go nuts over that rifle.

gandydancer
12-11-2011, 10:37 PM
if your happy with it that's all that matters. nice job.

myself where it mine get another 1 make a set of lamps for my room at happy land do/da do/da

DODGEM250
12-13-2011, 07:38 AM
Well, my next option was walnut brown stain with a nice clear, but, you can't stain a cheap plastic composite stock.

Blammer
12-16-2011, 04:50 PM
That's an awesome color on that gun!

troy_mclure
12-19-2011, 08:14 PM
nice, i like it.

i like to see colors others choose for gun parts.

i know a guy that has a blaze orange and neon yellow mossy 500.

i refinished a stock for a sears .22lr with grass juice. it made it a real interesting green. i was offered $150 for the gun, just because of the stock.

calkar
12-21-2011, 02:48 AM
A smart buck will spot that glossy finish. I have had decent luck ruffing up the mold injected stocks and using fiberglass resin, and cloth to fill forearms ect.